Starlin Castro's future

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
cubs are rebuilding....

why the fuck not..go ahead theo...work your magic...

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Absolutely not. Castro is never going to be a superstar, but what he brings to the table offensively isn't exactly easy to replace. The guy is 22, still has four full seasons left before he's eligible for free agency, and probably isn't even halfway to sniffing his talent ceiling. If you ask me, you buy out all of his arbitration years now, try and save a little money and build around the guy so there's no reason he leaves in 2017. I mean, the guy is going to be a free agent at 27! We could give him a long-term deal knowing he'll remain productive throughout it and not gas out halfway through like so many others have before you (cue Alfonso Soriano crying like a baby).

Like I said, he's never going to be a masher and somebody who fans outside of Chicago consider a superstar, but there's little doubt in my mind this guy is going to bang out 20/20 seasons and hit .300 for the next 10 to 12 years. Defense is his obvious deficency, but if we're able to move him to second for when Lake or Baez are ready, then why not hide one of his weaker traits?

The guy needs to be a Cubs lifer -- he's too good of a talent to trade for prospects that are going to set the franchise back. He's a guy you can build a team around. Him, Rizzo, Jackson, Baez, Lake, etc, all could be the making for a solid team in a few years. We just have to be patient.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shut it Rice :D

You have to admire the part where it generated some good discussion :D

I think if/when Castro is traded will be governed by how fast the Cubs can hope to contend and how much value he can rake in relative to how much he will be paid if he were to stay a Cub. I don't think he should be traded for equal value, but you can definitely dangle him out there to screw some other team over farm-wise.

That said, he's not going to be traded, at least not anytime soon. This was a pretty fun discussion :D

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Absolutely not. Castro is never going to be a superstar, but what he brings to the table offensively isn't exactly easy to replace. The guy is 22, still has four full seasons left before he's eligible for free agency, and probably isn't even halfway to sniffing his talent ceiling. If you ask me, you buy out all of his arbitration years now, try and save a little money and build around the guy so there's no reason he leaves in 2017. I mean, the guy is going to be a free agent at 27! We could give him a long-term deal knowing he'll remain productive throughout it and not gas out halfway through like so many others have before you (cue Alfonso Soriano crying like a baby).

Like I said, he's never going to be a masher and somebody who fans outside of Chicago consider a superstar, but there's little doubt in my mind this guy is going to bang out 20/20 seasons and hit .300 for the next 10 to 12 years. Defense is his obvious deficency, but if we're able to move him to second for when Lake or Baez are ready, then why not hide one of his weaker traits?

The guy needs to be a Cubs lifer -- he's too good of a talent to trade for prospects that are going to set the franchise back. He's a guy you can build a team around. Him, Rizzo, Jackson, Baez, Lake, etc, all could be the making for a solid team in a few years. We just have to be patient.

Again Castro isn't great defensively, but this idea that Junior Lake or Javier Baez glove is good enough to move Castro needs to be put to bed now. Lake is just as raw if not more so defensively than Castro is at this point and he is exactly three days younger than Castro. You know how many errors he made last season at SS (33 in 113 games) or the season before (35 in 107). Scouts have been questioning Baez's ability to stick at SS since the day he was drafted, and if he gets bigger it is doubtful that he will have the range to stay at SS. And while I am not going to say 5 games in short season last year is enough to judge his defensive ability, the fact that he had 6 errors in those 5 games doesn't bode well either.

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't mind a 6 year deal that buys out a couple years of free agency.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
How much you think Castro demands and gets if he were to just go year-to-year in arbitration?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
How much you think Castro demands and gets if he were to just go year-to-year in arbitration?

That is real tough for me to guage because I can't really think of a guy that is comparable. That is a guy that collects a lot of hits, but at the moment doesn't hit for a ton of power.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's also got four years due to Super Two so that narrows down the comparables.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
W/ him being so young, and already having a 200+ hit season under his belt, trading him now would be dumb. Barring injury, he's only going to improve. We could take advantage of his play now, while he's cheap, and UPS his value. If you wanna trade him, do it in a cpl years, when he'll be worth even more than he is now.

That is a risk.

I think a lot of cub fans overrate castro. I understand there isnt a real good player on the team and he is a bright spot, but thats what he is, a bright spot.

At this point you may want to move him now while teams think the ceiling is very high because this maybe what he is going to be.

He doesnt have the power or defensive skills to deem him untouchable and NO he doesnt sell tickets! its laughable to think he sells tickets.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Castro sells jerseys and merchandise, but a winning team that's fun to watch will sell tickets.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
That is a risk.

I think a lot of cub fans overrate castro. I understand there isnt a real good player on the team and he is a bright spot, but thats what he is, a bright spot.

At this point you may want to move him now while teams think the ceiling is very high because this maybe what he is going to be.

He doesnt have the power or defensive skills to deem him untouchable and NO he doesnt sell tickets! its laughable to think he sells tickets.

Fourth most hits of any MLB player and most of any NL player since May 7, 2010 when he made his debut at 20 years old, but he is overrated and isn't anything special at all. :rolleyes:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fourth most hits of any MLB player and most of any NL player since May 7, 2010 when he made his debut at 20 years old, but he is overrated and isn't anything special at all. :rolleyes:

yay! hits and stuff! No power, an ok OBP and weak on defense. But hey he is going to have a good .300 BA :rolleyes:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think he means that Castro needs to improve on defense and hit for more power while learning a bit of patience, which is stuff we already know anyway.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he means that Castro needs to improve on defense and hit for more power while learning a bit of patience, which is stuff we already know anyway.

but he is arguing that he isnt overrated by using hits.

Clearly he is missing the point.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's a good offensive catalyst but I think you have to see what he does over another couple of seasons before deciding whether he is overrated or underrated. Which is probably why the Cubs will think about going through one or two rounds of arbitration before inking an extension.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You don't believe the best player the Cubs have doesn't sell tickets?

Not a single ticket. He has zero charisma. Not a Mark Grace or a Sammy Sosa or even a Ryne Sandberg

Ok maybe ten to twenty tickets a game. Maybe

Last edited: