Reality check time

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Having zero expectations is a good defense mechanism to avoid disappointment. Everyone knew the team was weak, but these bums would be hard pressed to score off of JVHS pitching.

I didn't say I wasn't disappointed. I just said that there's a rational reason these guys suck so bad and an underlying plan and therefore I'm not going to slit my wrists. There aren't "zero" expectations either. The expectation is that the team will get better within a few years, and that there are things being done to improve the team all over besides just the MLB level.

The team has scored 3+ runs per game against MLB pitching. They might be able to scratch a few across against JV :lol:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And I got ridiculed for saying this team would be historically bad. I think u all should start to think about the best way to apologize to me. :)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs have a long way to go before they equal the 03 Tigers or worse.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
They need to win more to get on pace not match game for game

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
They'll be hard pressed to get to 70 but they are probably not going to drop below 60. If they do, hey, we need the #1 pick anyway.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
They need to win more to get on pace not match game for game

And this is a hard part of the schedule for the Cubs playing only against teams that have legitimate playoff aspirations. If they are still on pace to win less than 40 games in June, then you can start gloating.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
And this is a hard part of the schedule for the Cubs playing only against teams that have legitimate playoff aspirations. If they are still on pace to win less than 40 games in June, then you can start gloating.

What's to gloat about? :lol: We all knew the Cubs would suck. It doesn't matter if they're 70-wins suck or 40-wins suck. We need the draft pick. 70 wins is nothing more than a moral victory.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's to gloat about? :lol: We all knew the Cubs would suck. It doesn't matter if they're 70-wins suck or 40-wins suck. We need the draft pick. 70 wins is nothing more than a moral victory.

I didn't say we could gloat. I just meant that Brett has a long way to go before claiming his ability to predict the Cubs to be as bad as the 62 Mets or 03 Tigers.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't say we could gloat. I just meant that Brett has a long way to go before claiming his ability to predict the Cubs to be as bad as the 62 Mets or 03 Tigers.

I don't think anyone needs to gloat. I'd prefer that the team be #1 pick bad though. I'll treat it like watching a bad sitcom.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
70 wins costs them 5 draft positions

And to be clear as I was in the past. 190 is my number for both teams

Very few if any had the Marlins brewers or nationals as playoff teams

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Of course it's a long season

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It honestly doesn't matter much as it's evident the Cubs have no true desire to actually win (i.e. contend). Obviously they'd prefer a more respectable record (as would the manager and players) but most of the fans have probably checked out already. The rest of us are going to have whatever fun with it we can.

We can set a new over/under of 50 wins if it'll make things more fun.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I didn't say I wasn't disappointed. I just said that there's a rational reason these guys suck so bad and an underlying plan and therefore I'm not going to slit my wrists. There aren't "zero" expectations either. The expectation is that the team will get better within a few years, and that there are things being done to improve the team all over besides just the MLB level.

The team has scored 3+ runs per game against MLB pitching. They might be able to scratch a few across against JV :lol:

I was referring to myself, particularly the 08' playoff implosion. That's when I abandoned the team b/c they didn't bother showing up for the Dodger series. The Cubs are playing on a slippery slope w/fans b/c their tic prices etc almost commands they spend $$ on FA's to win now. By June, people aren't going to be so willing to shell out for below average talent. Yeah, JV was stretching it a bit...lol....change it to Kane County Cougars.