Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
i'll respond to this 2morro...i think i'm worn out lol

good talk though

definitely. Maybe we should continue in the random thoughts thread though... this is so off topic hahahaha. :shifty:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
View attachment 859
So at the risk of being made of and ridiculed I guess I ll post this pic, I personal bested in my 3 mile run, was pretty happy :) thoughts? Criticisms? Trolls?
I'd check your pedometer. You just ran a 5k like 2 weeks ago right and was around 26 minutes or something? A 3 minute fluctuation is pretty big at that short of a distance.

Today I ran a thing called the 2-1-1. You run 2 miles and try and get 12 minutes or less. Then you take a 6 minute break and then run 1 mile and try and get under 6 minutes. Then another 6 minute break and finally one last mile and try for under 6 minutes again. I did fairly well for being on vacation before this and not getting to train really. 2 mile was under 12:30, 1st one mile was in the 7:30's and my last mile was in the low 7:00's.
That has to be one of the dumbest workouts I have ever heard of in my entire life. The work out is seriously having you try and run two sub 6 miles than come back and run another sub 6?

:smh:

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
That has to be one of the dumbest workouts I have ever heard of in my entire life. The work out is seriously having you try and run two sub 6 miles than come back and run another sub 6?

:smh:
It's not a workout though, it's a fitness test. No one is expected to pass it all. The coaches use it to weed out the kids who have endurance and those who don't and also those who are lazy. Not gonna lie Thou I hated it, it sucks to run that thing :lol:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not a workout though, it's a fitness test. No one is expected to pass it all. The coaches use it to weed out the kids who have endurance and those who don't and also those who are lazy. Not gonna lie Thou I hated it, it sucks to run that thing :lol:

Your coach is an idiot. What he had you do has littl eot nothing with true endurance. It was more a speed test.

What sport is this even for?

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Your coach is an idiot.

What sport is this even for?

Soccer, not gonna go into detail because it would give away personal info, but saying the program has been succesful under the current coach would be a pretty big understatement, and last year we won a lot of games or came back late in games be ause we were more fit, so I'd say it works pretty good :shrug:

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saw your edit, he never actually said it was for endurance, I assumed it is because they look to see if you can keep up the same pace the whole time, at least that's what it seems like :tiptoe:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soccer, not gonna go into detail because it would give away personal info, but saying the program has been succesful under the current coach would be a pretty big understatement, and last year we won a lot of games or came back late in games be ause we were more fit, so I'd say it works pretty good :shrug:

Or because you're good at soccer.

I know track coaches that are complete fuck offs and have state quality runners. Your coach is an idiot in this case. He may be a good "soccer mind" or whatever but this fitness test he gave is idiotic. There are state quality HS XC runners that would have trouble with that "test" at this point in the season.

Reactions: BNB

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Unless people on your team were in amazing shape, I assume everyone would fail this fitness test. At my peak I was able to run 3 miles in 18 minutes.. But it took me a little while to get there.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unless people on your team was in amazing shape, I assume everyone would fail this fitness test. At my peak I was able to run 3 miles in 18 minutes.. But it took me a little while to get there.

Yeah. Anyone who passed this "test" is playing the wrong sport.

It's not actually testing fitness. It's a coach trying to run people off a team.

Reactions: BNB

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or because you're good at soccer.

I know track coaches that are complete fuck offs and have state quality runners. Your coach is an idiot in this case. He may be a good "soccer mind" or whatever but this fitness test he gave is idiotic. There are state quality HS XC runners that would have trouble with that "test" at this point in the season.
Maybe he does it just to torture us then idk lol, I was just reporting my times in the thread
Unless people on your team was in amazing shape, I assume everyone would fail this fitness test. At my peak I was able to run 3 miles in 18 minutes.. But it took me a little while to get there.
I wish I could do that lol

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah. Anyone who passed this "test" is playing the wrong sport.

It's not actually testing fitness. It's a coach trying to run people off a team.

Definitely. Or they live with Kenyans :shifty:

I wish I could do that lol

18 minutes for 3 miles sounds pretty good for the average person who doesn't run much... but in XC, it's nothing special. A lot of people run between 18-20 minutes for 3 miles. Compared to some top runners though, 18 minutes is garbage hahaha. In high school, I remember this dude Evan Jager. He was fuckin insane. he ran it in under 14 minutes I think. Can't remember exactly... it was like 5 years ago. But yeah... He would probably lap me haha.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Definitely. Or they live with Kenyans :shifty:

18 minutes for 3 miles sounds pretty good for the average person who doesn't run much... but in XC, it's nothing special. A lot of people run between 18-20 minutes for 3 miles. Compared to some top runners though, 18 minutes is garbage hahaha. In high school, I remember this dude Evan Jager. He was fuckin insane. he ran it in under 14 minutes I think. Can't remember exactly... it was like 5 years ago. But yeah... He would probably lap me haha.

Jager was just over 14 for his 3 mile PR in HS. He ran XC/track in college with some former HS teammates of mine.

He recently was in the Olympics running the steeple chase(which is the worst race in the history of mankind. Fuck that thing)

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well the examples you gave right there was kind of what I was talking about when I was saying some sports articles are similar. If you wrote an article like about your predictions for the season, and a lot of other types of sports articles you'd find on ESPN.com, those are just for entertainment purposes. But like I said, if you're writing a sports article that's actually explaining something [like rules] or like the example you gave about fantasy football, then yeah, it would be pretty much the same thing.

i still think that's kind of generalizing though. I mean you could technically make that argument and I think it would be right, but these guys on ESPN are also getting paid to write the articles. Meaning even if in some cases the writing is based more towards entertainment, it is a bad indictment on the site if there are holes in logic,fallacies,factual faults,etc. You could argue "why is this different than the commercials getting paid to illustrate factual inaccuracies to support their argument?".

I think the difference is that ESPN is not necessarily paying the writers to voice the opinion of the entire network. Sometimes,yes(there's alot of scripting with these shows to get ratings), but alot of the time the articles are geared toward the specific writer's agenda(do we know for sure though? i guess not). Plus, I think alot of the statistics and facts that sports writers use can be more easily de-bunked by other facts or facts left out. I think it's easier to find those things or know those things because most people who read sports articles probably have a general idea of the content. But quite a few of these people that watch these BS commercials might have a ton of prior knowledge on the specifics of the product that is being advertised, and this can make the BS attractive.

Sadly, we see guys get paid to write crappy ESPN articles, and guys that get paid on other sports sites that do the same thing. It's something you can't avoid, I guess.

I guess my point is that, I dont think the fact that some articles are more geared towards entertainment justifies the fact that there are numerous sports writers that get paid to write garbage. To get hits maybe? To me, I think a well-written article would/should get more hits than a shitty one.

I mean, some of the people that give out information/advice on subjects we might be looking for might not even be getting paid to write it, if the writer's background is relatively uncertain.

Idk...my thought is if you see people getting paid to write horse crap, can we trust articles made from people that might not be getting paid, just because the agenda might be a little different?

I'm not saying those articles are bad or anything, but you got to question what you read. I like to read the comments section on some articles, and often you may see that the writer missed some points or is wrong.

Idk... a lot of sport articles I see are either predictions, rankings, recaps, speculation, ranting, praising, etc. None of those types of articles are giving you advice on anything and they aren't informing you of anything either.. It's just kinda the writer talking about something to do with a particular sport and giving his opinion on it.

yea sometimes, but as i said...advice is technically opinionated and even with these seemingly more objective articles, you get alot of opinion mixed into, depending on what information you're looking for. I see plenty of ranting and praising articles which are informative, like "why you shouldn't try this product" or "why this is bad for you before a soccer game",etc. I mean,technically, an argumentative research paper is in the same guise as an argumentative ESPN article in terms of structure of logic,opinion,and facts. And ya, i see rankings of products and things as well. I think guys on ESPN do write to entertain but,in some cases, they are also trying to get a point across and inform.

Maybe i am using a liberal definition of "advice", but really what I am trying to say is that quite a few sports articles have similar structure to that of informational/advice articles.

A lot of Larry Coon's articles are informative. Fantasy sport writers are giving you advice. If you're looking for an article to explain something to you like positions, rules, etc. that would be informative too. Everything else though just seems like entertainment to me. If you're reading sports articles, chances are you know enough about the sport. You're not reading it to learn anything or to be advised on anything. You're reading just to read it. the writer isn't sitting there writing stuff like "Last year, Tom Brady [the Quarterback f the New England PAtriots. A quarterback is the player that throws the ball] threw X amount of interceptions [an interception is when you throw the ball and the other team catches it]." If you're reading it, you're just expected to know that stuff. Some writers may write a persuasive type of article and use examples to try and get you on their side, but that isn't really giving you advice or anything. It's not like you're sitting there googling "Should I think Dwight Howard is a prima donna?" then find an article telling you why you should think he is. You just find an article on a sports web site with a guy talking about why he thinks DH is a prima donna.

I agree with this, as i said earlier. But you will articles on ESPN and other sites sometimes that may make an argument and incorporate facts that you might not have known, such as "this player has not done X since the year Y" and they will bring in new facts and give a new perspective. Sometimes you might be in the middle of a sports argument and you need some info/"advice" as to why you're right, and you'll find an article which will really illustrate your point in a way you may not have thought of.

I think you're thinking of some of these articles as rigidly informative. I dont see all advice articles as that, since advice is usually based on some sort of perspective and opinion. And ya, a bit of the you're not going to be looking for sports advice from sports articles, but there are certainly instances where you might, and there might be instances where you might need certain information to support your argument or something like that. It's not technically the same as looking for advice on something informational, but it follows a similar principle.

Well, yeah.. technically some of the info you get on a research paper comes from articles. I usually use websites that just give information on the topic I'm researching. I don't think I really ever use "advice articles" though. Like my last research paper was on Stem cells. I found articles where people said why they were against the use of them and why they were for them, but it really wasn't advice. It was just their opinion for why they don't like it, which was mainly moral reasons.

Ya i think it depends on what you're researching on what you're looking for.

And alot of what we consider advice or not depends on what our standard for advice is.

Status
Not open for further replies.