Cubs (8-15) at Cincinnati Reds (11-11) 5/1-5/3 Series Discussion Thread

How many games do the Cubs win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was going to ask who was more to blame between Marmol or Stewart, but I know what you'r e guys answer would be. Funny story was some teachers and I were checking the gameday out during a break in the sixth inning when Dempster was rolling. I had to leave to go teach my final class and my final words were "now I can go home and watch the bullpen blow it."

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you blame Marmol anyway because even if Stewart had gotten the out, he probably doesn't turn the double play, and Marmol might still be in to cough up the lead.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who was running down the line on the Stewart play? I saw the replays, but was too angry to really sit there and analyze what was going on.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that was Joey Votto. Probably forced him to rush and might have distracted him from the ball, it just kind of squirted past him.

Check that...Willie Harris. Joey Votto got to 2B on that play.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can't demote him. Have to DFA, then hope he clears waivers, then he has to accept a minor league assignment. At this point you're going to lose him for nothing, but if he's giving nothing anyway, I guess it's a wash.

Unsticking now...lemme know when new series thread is ready.

I highly doubt that Marmol would accept the assignment, but I wonder if Marmol would get claimed by a team that would think they could fix him. I'm gvuessing they would rather send a Bogaerts type spec to get the Cubs to pay his salary, but just curious.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was a great game to be at...until the bottom of the 9th. A few Cubs fans sitting behind me said, "Reds are going to walk off" as soon as Marmol came in. :lol:

Just unbelievable that this guy gets so many chances and has such a long leash. How many times is he going to fuck up before they tell him to :gtfo:? Very frustrating, especially going with my friend, who is a Reds fan.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is getting pretty obvious his time is coming.... went...

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess the next reasonable step is to move Marmol into a non-closers role. I don't trust him to even do that and wanna kick his ass to the curb but I guess realistically, life is not that simple.

Hey Uman, how'd you pull off being able to meet those Reds players the other day?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have read on some other sites that Dolis and Russell will share the closing duties for a little bit. I will try and find anything that backs that up.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess the next reasonable step is to move Marmol into a non-closers role. I don't trust him to even do that and wanna kick his ass to the curb but I guess realistically, life is not that simple.

Hey Uman, how'd you pull off being able to meet those Reds players the other day?

My friend's brother works in the PR department for the Reds, so he was able to get us down near the clubhouse when the team was waiting during the rain delay.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
My friend's brother works in the PR department for the Reds, so he was able to get us down near the clubhouse when the team was waiting during the rain delay.
That's awesome!

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's awesome!

It was pretty cool even though I don't really like the Reds. I do like Phillips though. I wish the Reds hadn't given him an extension. I'd love to see him in Chicago.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here it is:
"There's definitely the thought of (a change) now," Sveum said. "I can't lie to you."

Sveum said that left-hander James Russell and right-hander Rafael Dolis are his main options to close, but didn't clarify if he means they would share the role or he favors one over the other.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marmol has Rick Ankiel syndrome. Maybe they should have him learn to hit again so he can become our 2B :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably couldn't hit his way out of the batting cage though. Oh well.
You would be correct sir. He has a career .251/.281/.336 slash line in 191 games over 7 years in the minors.