Draft Watch

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Less than a month to the June amateur draft!

BaseballAmerica.com: Draft: Mock Draft: Mock Draft: Version 1.0

6. CUBS: Once Appel, Gausman and Zimmer are chosen, there will be a run on position players, most of whom will be high schoolers. Chicago's pick could come down to Correa and polished Florida high school center fielder Albert Almora. The Cubs took another prep shortstop of Puerto Rican descent (Javier Baez) at No. 9 a year ago.
Projected Pick: ALBERT ALMORA.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Kevin Goldstein at prospectus tweeted this: Big League exec: "This draft is the worst crop of college position players I've seen in my 20+ years of doing this."

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Methinks that will encourage the Cubs to draft a high-upside high schooler then.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're probably right, man do I hate those "high-upside HSer" guys.

Some of them end up not doing too bad. So I guess you should hope and pray that the Cubs don't mess this up :lol:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Josh Vitters was a HS and he seems to finally come to his own.. I hope he sees the majors this year.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Josh Vitters was a HS and he seems to finally come to his own.. I hope he sees the majors this year.

Thats why guys dont like Highschool players. No idea how long it will take for them to get used to wooden bats. No idea if they will grow anymore or not. Just to many question marks

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Thats why guys dont like Highschool players. No idea how long it will take for them to get used to wooden bats. No idea if they will grow anymore or not. Just to many question marks

Yeah, it's not so much that none of them work out, it's more that the odds are so much greater for a College player.

I'm really interested to see how TheCo attacks the draft, I wonder if they'll go with the current trend and go after good OF defense with Plus arms or go after a different type of player.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, it's not so much that none of them work out, it's more that the odds are so much greater for a College player.

I'm really interested to see how TheCo attacks the draft, I wonder if they'll go with the current trend and go after good OF defense with Plus arms or go after a different type of player.

I kind of hope that Zunino falls to #6 so that the Cubs can snatch him up. My philosophy is that the catcher is usually one of the smartest and best athletes and you should be able to convert him to any other position should he not stick at C.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I kind of hope that Zunino falls to #6 so that the Cubs can snatch him up. My philosophy is that the catcher is usually one of the smartest and best athletes and you should be able to convert him to any other position should he not stick at C.

I can understand that. I would like to see a combo of SS/C draft picks because those are usually the positions that have an easier time of converting to other positions. Especially shortstop, all the best athletes were shortstops when they were young.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can understand that. I would like to see a combo of SS/C draft picks because those are usually the positions that have an easier time of converting to other positions. Especially shortstop, all the best athletes were shortstops when they were young.

Of course, you have the objections to the Hendry doctrine of drafting and filling the org with all middle infielders and center fielders, so some discretion is needed :lol:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Of course, you have the objections to the Hendry doctrine of drafting and filling the org with all middle infielders and center fielders, so some discretion is needed :lol:

Very very true.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think who ever the Cubs draft this year will be watched with a magnify glass. All Cubs brass talks about is how draft is the most important thing. If they come in and miss on the 1st pick fans will be all over them.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
But again, they are still young and have more time to improve. Vitters is still only 22 and will be 23 when the summer ends. Baez was a HS and looks like he'll be a promising player too if the Cubs ever move him up. He should have been moved up by now.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
But again, they are still young and have more time to improve. Vitters is still only 22 and will be 23 when the summer ends. Baez was a HS and looks like he'll be a promising player too if the Cubs ever move him up. He should have been moved up by now.

Maybe they think he needs an attitude adjustment first. Plus show the ability to take a walk every now and then, although if the pitchers suck and just keep throwing him straight fastballs there's really no reason to walk.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm guessing they want Baez to see time at Boise whose season hasn't started yet. I wouldn't be shocked to see him in Peoria by the end of the year, but my guess the reason he is still in Mesa is so he hits every step on theway up.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Part of that was the organizational philoophy on getting as many athletes as possible. The best athletes in high school/college played ss and cf. We talked about the benefits to this approach earlier so the plan is not without its merits. But as you mentioned there needs to be some balance, hence why the system lacks many legitimate power threats.