Trade candidate: Geovany Soto

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since he's no longer in Beast Mode, and the Cubs are looking to get younger and more consistent production at some point, Geo is a logical trade piece.

Here's the first in a number of ideas:

Wilson Ramos needs surgery to repair torn knee ligament | HardballTalk

Wilson Ramos broken. Cubs need prospects.

picard_make_it_so_number_1_display.jpg

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Over the course of the last cpl seasons, I've really gotten tired of Geo. That being said, catchers in general suck in MLB right now, and he's not overly expensive.

In a dump year, I'd like to move him if we can get a decent 'spect or two. But, Castillo needs some DEFINITE game refinement.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castillo can't frame a pitch to save his life :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I seem to recall someone saying that Welington Castillo might not be the savior...

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Castillo can't frame a pitch to save his life :lol:

lol, you could make the argument that he cost us that game...but that's for another thread i suppose...

So, realistically, what on top of Soto would it take to get a guy like Anthony Rendon or Brian Goodwin? Are they even available? What about a guy like Destin Hood?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol, you could make the argument that he cost us that game...but that's for another thread i suppose...

So, realistically, what on top of Soto would it take to get a guy like Anthony Rendon or Brian Goodwin? Are they even available? What about a guy like Destin Hood?

I don't think Anthony Rendon would be a guy that you could get with Soto being the main piece of the deal. Let me rephrase that, I know you can't get Rendon with Soto being the main piece of the deal. Unfortunately we need Soto to start hitting for us to get anything for him. Until that point expect a Marlon Byrd type return.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

You won't be able to touch their top 5-10, but you'd still get something useful back I think. I'll let someone smarter than me edumacate us though, because I don't know the Nats' system that well. You're pretty much not going to be close to a guy like Rendon though.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think Anthony Rendon would be a guy that you could get with Soto being the main piece of the deal. Let me rephrase that, I know you can't get Rendon with Soto being the main piece of the deal. Unfortunately we need Soto to start hitting for us to get anything for him. Until that point expect a Marlon Byrd type return.

He'd probably bring back more than Byrd because he's younger and plays a more premium position.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He'd probably bring back more than Byrd because he's younger and plays a more premium position.
His value ought to be higher than Byrd's due to all of those reasons, but Soto is getting/has a reputation as a bad defender behind the dish. If you aren't hitting, and aren't a good defender making 4.3 million the return is going to be more similar to Derrek Lee, Kosuke Fukudome, and Marlon Byrd than what we could get for Garza.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
His value ought to be higher than Byrd's due to all of those reasons, but Soto is getting/has a reputation as a bad defender behind the dish. If you aren't hitting, and aren't a good defender making 4.3 million the return is going to be more similar to Derrek Lee, Kosuke Fukudome, and Marlon Byrd than what we could get for Garza.

Just about everything I've read suggests that Soto is a more than adequate defender, so if his reputation is based on lying eyes I think that's a disservice to him. Too bad. But there's no way Soto should be valued as Garza was.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just about everything I've read suggests that Soto is a more than adequate defender, so if his reputation is based on lying eyes I think that's a disservice to him. Too bad. But there's no way Soto should be valued as Garza was.

I don't disagree, but it seems adequate is the most glowing view of his defense anymore (which I find odd since his reputation coming up through the system was a no bat, good glove future backup catcher). I just think Soto's value is about as low as possible right now, and Castillo/Clevenger doesn't really inspire me to feel like the position is covered for the next few years that are forcing Soto out of here. It seems to me the Cubs are better served continuing to trot Soto out there to see if some balls starting falling for him so his stats look respectable before trying to trade him.

Last edited:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this is a deal that'd be made in July anyway. Right now the Nats are one of the best teams in the league and they might want that extra boost, they might not. Depends on how their internal options work out while Ramos is out.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Doesn't Clevenger come off the DL soon? He and LaHair had been the best two stories outta Cubs Camp...well, them and Shark.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think this is a deal that'd be made in July anyway. Right now the Nats are one of the best teams in the league and they might want that extra boost, they might not. Depends on how their internal options work out while Ramos is out.

Like you said, they are one of the best teams in the league currently. I don't see them upgrading anywhere until they hit a rough patch. They are very quickly turning into a better, money-spending version of the Rays. Get a shit load of top talent...and keep them.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doesn't Clevenger come off the DL soon? He and LaHair had been the best two stories outta Cubs Camp...well, them and Shark.

He is eligible to come off the DL soon/now, but it doesn't appear like it will happen anytime soon. This was the last I had read about his status. It is still probably a couple of weeks before he is ready to come off the DL.

Last edited:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soto hitting around .150 He has no value right now.