Cubs (15-21) vs. Philadelphia Phillies (18-19) 5/16-5/17 Series Discussion Thread

How many games do the Cubs win?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:

PHI.png
vs.
CHC.png

Philadelphia Phillies (18-19)____ Chicago Cubs (15-21)

Chicago, Illinois

wrigley-field03.jpg

041309wrigley.jpg

Wednesday May 16, 2012 7:05 PM CT

TV:
CSNChicago-1.png
Radio:
WGNRadio.png

i
vs.
i

Kyle Kendrick (0-3, 7.32 ERA) __________________ Matt Garza (2-1, 2.56 ERA)

Thursday May 17, 2012 7:05 PM CT

TV:
WGNTV.png
Radio:
WGNRadio.png

i
vs.
i

Roy Halladay (3-3, 3.20 ERA) __________________ Chris Volstad (0-5, 6.92 ERA)

Last edited:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Volstad>Halladay.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
This better be voldstad's final chane.

if he sucks again...buh bye

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope the Cubs win tomorrow because I'll be there :D

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I ran the numbers...

Managerial Shenanigans | World Series Dreaming

This is only if you're managing in a vacuum though and assuming every batter is the same. You obviously can't do that in real life, but it was interesting to see how close the numbers were.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I might be saying that if the news was Chris Volstad scratched...

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I might be saying that if the news was Chris Volstad scratched...

Ha.

So what would everyone have done? Faced Molina as is, or walked him to face Matt Carpenter? I blogged about it above but I guess everyone was either still stinging from the loss or watching LeBron fail.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ha.

So what would everyone have done? Faced Molina as is, or walked him to face Matt Carpenter? I blogged about it above but I guess everyone was either still stinging from the loss or watching LeBron fail.

I wouldn't have pitched to Molina, but mostly because Molina seems to always come through in that situation. I am not that upset about the call to pitch to him though. I understand why you go after him as opposed to pitching Carpenter with two on. This is nothing like the Don Baylor tribute night Sveum had yesterday.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, the run expectancy and win expectancy in either situation weren't that far apart so I think Dale Sveum could've flipped a coin. Either way the Cards were very likely to come through because they're a better team than the Cubs, and Dolis, while he's shown signs of improvement, isn't at that kind of level yet where he's your shut down guy. Hell, even a shut down guy gets screwed sometimes.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, the run expectancy and win expectancy in either situation weren't that far apart so I think Dale Sveum could've flipped a coin. Either way the Cards were very likely to come through because they're a better team than the Cubs, and Dolis, while he's shown signs of improvement, isn't at that kind of level yet where he's your shut down guy. Hell, even a shut down guy gets screwed sometimes.

Yeah I mostly was making the call based on the very unscientific feeling of not wanting to let Molina come through again. I really don't believe in the ability of a player to be clutch, but Molina is starting to verge into Alex S. Gonzalez territory of making me question that belief.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Molina chopped one into the ground and beat the shift...shit happens. Could've easily been an out and this wouldn't be an issue.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like I said I don't feel as strongly about that call compared to the sac bunt fest last night. I can understand why you pitch to Molina. I just would have rather faced the lefty Carpenter.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like I said I don't feel as strongly about that call compared to the sac bunt fest last night. I can understand why you pitch to Molina. I just would have rather faced the lefty Carpenter.

Dolis' platoon split (I noted it in the blog comment) suggests that despite the small sample size he seemed to have good luck against lefties so that justifies your gut instinct. But Matt Carpenter's overall line suggests that he would've fucked Dolis up anyway.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm glad Sveum didn't bunt like a crazy-man today, though :D

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dolis' platoon split (I noted it in the blog comment) suggests that despite the small sample size he seemed to have good luck against lefties so that justifies your gut instinct. But Matt Carpenter's overall line suggests that he would've fucked Dolis up anyway.

You never know, and it wasn't a good situation once Stewart wasn't able to get the lead runner on the strong play he made in the ninth. Brenly talked about Carpenter having an uppercut swing and with the double play in order you give yourself a chance to get out of the inning with one pitch. Again I think this is a coinflip decision like you said unlike the flat out wrong call to bunt with Castro last night.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm certainly glad he got over his 24 hour Don Bayloritis.

There were numbers to support his decision in a vacuum but you don't look a gift out in the mouth, to paraphrase an idiom. They should've just swung away.