Can We Stop Ignoring The Bullpen in 2013?

ZAN

Liked Posts:
It's not farfetched to think this team would only be 1-2 games back with even an average bullpen.

Pretty sick to see Camp, Wood, Marmol, or Russell just take a giant dump on QS after QS...

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sean Marshall walking at the end of the season would've been just as helpful as Travis Wood

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sean Marshall walking at the end of the season would've been just as helpful as Travis Wood

That's actually not true because there's no fucking way any smart GM gives Sean Marshall the $12MM arbitration deal they'd need to get draft picks back. The Cubs were within reason to trade Marshall when they had a shot at getting something of value back.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
All that said, the Cubs are going to take a look at what's available outside the organization as well as in-house and determine whether it's worth it to invest in bullpen pieces. The bullpen is usually the last thing you fix up in my opinion...still a ton of work to be done.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is also the quickest thing to get back together. Two of the Cubs most effective relievers weren't on the major league roster last season. You can fix a bullpen with a couple guys finding roles and getting good starting pitching.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was almost 13 years ago that the Cubs traded Kyle Lohse and another guy for Rick Aguilera and Scott Downs. The Cubs got a guy who pitched pretty solid in 1999 for them and was done in 2000. The Cubs went a combined 132-192 those two seasons with the bullpen help and lost a guy that is still starting in the big leagues for it. The Cubs don't need to make big, splashy moves to fix the pen while the team isn't likely to win anything.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's actually not true because there's no fucking way any smart GM gives Sean Marshall the $12MM arbitration deal they'd need to get draft picks back. The Cubs were within reason to trade Marshall when they had a shot at getting something of value back.

Or they could have just kept Marshall and signed him to what CIN did. That would have helped this year and years down the road. Im guessing he worth more then any of the 3 bodies cubs got.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Has anyone actually been watching what Sean Marshall has been doing in Cincinnati this season?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
1-2, 5.02 ERA, 7 saves

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I bet he figures it out by the end of the season, but lets hold off on the final evaluation of this trade for a few years to see what each side really got.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
1-2, 5.02 ERA, 7 saves

I guess it is in better context if you look at how much he actually pitched and the relative leverage of his appearances.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Sean Marshall still a quality reliever? Of course, but he hasn't exactly been lights out this year is the only point I was raising since this idea of the Reds clearly winning this trade and that the Cubs would be so much better with Marshall on the roster right now.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he's got unhittable stuff but he's probably been bitten with the "bad luck" bug as well as the fact that Dusty Baker won't use him except for saves for the most part.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he's got unhittable stuff but he's probably been bitten with the "bad luck" bug as well as the fact that Dusty Baker won't use him except for saves for the most part.

Yeah there has been a lot of bad luck, his BABIP is ridiculously high, but that doesn't matter to a lot of posters here. His production has been as bad as most of the Cubs relievers this year was the only point I was trying to raise.

And the save situation thing will probably be rectified soon since it sounds like Chapman is going to be tried as the closer soon.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's a Reds fail. Chapman should be in the rotation until he shows he can't do it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would you expect any less from Dusty?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marshall is in the eighth with a one run lead. It appears like Chapman is going to get a shot at closing.