Can We Stop Ignoring The Bullpen in 2013?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sean Marshall relegated to a LOOGY against the Yankees? Madness.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chapman got the save today. It appears Marshall is back to an eighth inning guy.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You'd take him back in a heart beat considering you're trotting out shit like Shawn Camp.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
You'd take him back in a heart beat considering you're trotting out shit like Shawn Camp.

No I wouldn't considering we would still suck with Marshall. I think in argument could be made that we traded him at peak value given how he has performed this year.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

He really isn't in a lot of ways. He only has one blown save, and he has given up a lot of hits. His K/BB is ridiculously good right now, and he really isn't getting hurt by the longball more than usual. His numbers will normalize, but the Cubs trying to trade this Sean Marshall would have resulted in getting even less back than we did.

ChiSportsFan17

Liked Posts:
I do agree that the bullpen is a big reason the Cubs lost many games; but this past week has not been good for Cubs starters.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The team as a whole isn't very good. Starting pitching is the strength of the ballclub, but even the best starters will have bumps in the road. That is why trading Marshall wasn't a big deal. Not because Marshall isn't a good reliever (despite the outcomes so far this season), but because having an elite backend of the bullpen arm doesn't matter on a team like this.