Kerry Wood ---> retired

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
WOAH! Awesome prediction.

smartass lol

I could see KW coming back next year. Not saying to Cubs but he still not an old guy. How many times do we see a guy retire middle of year and make comeback next year.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
smartass lol

I could see KW coming back next year. Not saying to Cubs but he still not an old guy. How many times do we see a guy retire middle of year and make comeback next year.

Ummmm.....rarely.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Induces swings and misses at pitches out of the zone is a skill. It's not due to an ump.

When ump calls the pitch you have no choice but to swing

I don't argue it's a skill not something some gets from a five time MLB starter

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
ummmm... alot

Petitte is the latest.

Name others.

First thing here: Petitte took over a full year off. So your Wood prediction for next year is still wrong and stupid.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Except Wood proved he could strikeout people a lot over the course of his career. It's not like this 20 K game was some rare occurrence of Wood striking people out at a high rate and making them look foolish/stupid. Wood struck out a lot of batter in his career and also that season. Hell he struck out 16 guys a few months later.

Your analysis and reasoning is shit.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:

Firstly, you can't judge the zone from the off center angle WGN was giving you during that game. Most of those pitches were probably in the zone. Secondly, not a single Astro complained about a wide plate after that game. Thirdly, you're still allowed to hit a pitch that is a few inches off the plate. There wasn't even contact there.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Last edited:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Firstly, you can't judge the zone from the off center angle WGN was giving you during that game. Most of those pitches were probably in the zone. Secondly, not a single Astro complained about a wide plate after that game. Thirdly, you're still allowed to hit a pitch that is a few inches off the plate. There wasn't even contact there.

Angles are different. So some maybe in while others that look in are out. It balances out

Watch the video. Many complained at the time of the call

Yes you can hit it. Easier to hit when it's actually within the normal range of the batter

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
RorySparrow said:
Kind of off-topic (as are most sports-related CCS postings), but do you remember when Jim Palmer attempted a comeback with the Baltimore Orioles? I think it was like in the early-90's, and Palmer hadn't pitched for like 10 years. Pretty awesome.
Per wiki..my favorite quote about that entire thing:

While working out at the University of Miami during his comeback attempt, Palmer was approached by Hurricanes assistant coach Lazaro Collazo. Collazo, presumably not recognizing Palmer, reportedly told him, "You'll never get into the Hall of Fame with those mechanics." "I'm already in the Hall of Fame," Palmer replied

Last edited:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With exception to 2003 and his Strikeout game he was a mediocre pitcher. I do not get the love affair with Cub fans regarding him. He was a player often hurt and never reaching his potential and what the Cubs and baseball thought this guy would be. 200 innings twice and than the DL stints. Love Chicago! where fans worship mediocre players.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's apparently a Twitter movement to have Wood pitch the first inning as the starter before riding off into the sunset.

the thought of that is so stupid. Can you imagine if this happened and dunn launches one onto sheffield followed by more walks. dumbest and riskiest thing to do.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
so when is Mark Prior Day at Wrigley?

exactly. this worship of players who had potential that had the injury plague is fucking stupid. all because of dominant performances in 2003. if this is the case and this is how chicago wants to play it, lets have a shrine for el duque and carl everett......and maybe throw blum in there too. its just dumb