Kerry Wood ---> retired

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
My point is that he shouldn't be in the HOF with an 82 OPS+, but that's probably another discussion.

I agree that there is a case to be made that he shouldn't be in the HOF, but those seem to be pretty weak comparisons to be honest. Bottomline enjoy the moment because it is the best this season is going to get, and don't let the :troll:s ruin it for you.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I agree that there is a case to be made that he shouldn't be in the HOF, but those seem to be pretty weak comparisons to be honest. Bottomline enjoy the moment because it is the best this season is going to get, and don't let the :troll:s ruin it for you.

I dunno, I still kinda think Castro in the ASG and the Rizzo and the Kids call ups could be better than this moment right now. A good peek at the future will be refreshing in a lot of ways. I appreciate Wood, but it'll be nice to look forward instead of backwards.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dunno, I still kinda think Castro in the ASG and the Rizzo and the Kids call ups could be better than this moment right now. A good peek at the future will be refreshing in a lot of ways. I appreciate Wood, but it'll be nice to look forward instead of backwards.

I couldn't care less about the ASG. The only thing I would look forward to about the ASG is if LaHair heated up and was snubbed as the starter. So I can rail about how dumb the ASG is.

Rizzo and others I don't really think count as a moment. I agree at this point it would be more enjoyable to watch the game, and that is just playing with semantics. But I stand by my prediction of Wood's last K being the best moment from this season.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
those guys were pretty good.

Aparicio had a career .653 OPS, and an 82 OPS+... I'm not sure I'd say he was that good... how he is in the Hall of Fame I don't know.

I do know that of all basic stats, OPS, SLG, and TB correlate to runs the best (over the last 10 years anyway, I'd assume it would be similar throughout recent history)... and he didn't particularly impress in any of those.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aparicio had a career .653 OPS, and an 82 OPS+... I'm not sure I'd say he was that good... how he is in the Hall of Fame I don't know.

I do know that of all basic stats, OPS, SLG, and TB correlate to runs the best (over the last 10 years anyway, I'd assume it would be similar throughout recent history)... and he didn't particularly impress in any of those.
While you can debate the value of it, he was the stolen base leader in the AL for like a decade. There are worse people in the hall than Aparicio.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
While you can debate the value of it, he was the stolen base leader in the AL for like a decade. There are worse people in the hall than Aparicio.

Steals are not the best stat though IMO, their correlation to runs in -0.09% (as a team stat).

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Steals are not the best stat though IMO, their correlation to runs in -0.09% (as a team stat).

I agree with you the value is limited, but he was pretty special in that category for his era. I am not saying that Aparicio is a guy that there isn't an argument for not being in the Hall, but there are certainly worse players than him.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

accolades for specific players changes from era to era to get in the HOF.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
and if there is a debate for the HOF for wood, please end it. he is not a HOFr. havent read through the thread but if there is a debate it needs to be ended.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
and if there is a debate for the HOF for wood, please end it. he is not a HOFr. havent read through the thread but if there is a debate it needs to be ended.

486336.jpg

retire his jersey

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty certain the point was that Aparicio doesn't belong in the Hall not that Wood does.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was fair for both as I was told later. But the strike zone was Huge.
No it wasn't.

Again you're just lying and making shit up.

My point is that he shouldn't be in the HOF with an 82 OPS+, but that's probably another discussion.

Please stop.

You're ruining Sabre talk.

Judging Luis Aparicio bases on OPS+ and other "slugging" metrics is fucking stupid.

Aparicio lead the lead in SB's for a decade was a perennial all star and gold glover as well over that time.

Aparicio wasn't a power hitter. He was a slappy hitter who could fly and had a great glove. For his era he was the mold for middle infielders. You're judging him by a context that he never played in. It'd be like me bitching about "Home Run" Baker's nickname because he only hit 96 for his career.

If you're wanting to take Aparicio out based on OPS+, SLG etc you're looking at it through the wrong prism and wrong context. Posts like the one above are why Sabre heads get a bad name.