2013 Draft Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
And thus the Cubs end the first half holding the #2 draft pick next year. Still time...

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
And thus the Cubs end the first half holding the #2 draft pick next year. Still time...

If we get #1 would you guess we would do what the Astros do take 3-4 first rd talents instead of paying the #1 close to slot?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we get #1 would you guess we would do what the Astros do take 3-4 first rd talents instead of paying the #1 close to slot?

I think that depends on who the talent is and who their agents are. Its certainly possible but i think they are more likely to just take best player available in the first four or five rounds before skimping to save dough so they can throw more at the better picks. What the Astros did was clever but risky.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

Oh yeah... The Astros don't really have anyone that's going to go in trades now other than Wandy. The Cubs could very well lose both Garza and Demp in the next couple of weeks.... possibly Maholm, Camp, Russell... That alone will make this team the clear favorites for the #1 pick. If they also somehow manage to trade Soriano... and even get something worthwhile for LaHair.... then the team's gonna stink even more. It'll essentially be Samardzija, Wood, Castro, Soto, Barney, Rizzo.... and the AAAA-waiver wire squad.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh yeah... The Astros don't really have anyone that's going to go in trades now other than Wandy. The Cubs could very well lose both Garza and Demp in the next couple of weeks.... possibly Maholm, Camp, Russell... That alone will make this team the clear favorites for the #1 pick. If they also somehow manage to trade Soriano... and even get something worthwhile for LaHair.... then the team's gonna stink even more. It'll essentially be Samardzija, Wood, Castro, Soto, Barney, Rizzo.... and the AAAA-waiver wire squad.

It'd be hilarious beyond words if this shitacular group somehow managed to win enough games to earn an unprotected pick.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Loss-Win Record based on the official standings:

1. Astros (53-33)
2. Cubs (52-33)
3. Colorado (52-33)
4. San Diego (53-34)
5. Seattle (51-36)
6. Minnesota (49-36)
7. Philadelphia (50-37)
8. Kansas City (47-37)
9. Milwaukee (45-40)
10. Miami (44-41)

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs hold tiebreaker over SD and Colorado, but not Astros. I also think Seattle, MN and KC sucked worse last year so that's cutting it a bit close.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Time for some depressing news...
Keith Law:
It's weaker than this year. Less college pitching, weaker HS crop all around. RT @benfan94: @keithlaw how deep will next years draft be?

Boras and Appel might be right on holding out...

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Every time you don't have a sure-fire guy like a Strasburg or Harper it's a "weak" crop. Looks like the Cubs are going to play themselves out of the #1 pick so hopefully they stay in the top 3 to at least get more money to spend. If Appel gets hurt I'm going to be disappointed for him but I'll still be amused at the karma.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Minnesota just won and the Cubs snuck up a space in the draft hunt (Minnesota has the tiebreaker).

San Diego currently winning so they will be ahead of the Cubs if this holds.

Colorado and Houston still suck.

Cubs' best hope is to finish at #3 after tonight is done. One step at a time, boys.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Astros are getting destroyed and if this holds, will have a five game cushion over the Cubs for the top pick. Gonna be tough to take it back...

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Colorado just beat SD in extras so I think that puts the Cubs within two games of the #2 pick. Cubs stay ahead of SD as well. Unfortunately the Astros won't stop sucking so the #1 pick is still going to be a chore.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah the Astros are really bad and are apparently better at ditching their veterans.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs lose, Colorado lost but SD won, and Astros lost as well so Cubs gain no ground there. Small cushion on SD now for the #3 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.