Look Deeper than the OL

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
Evaluating the Bears

Great article by Moon Mullin about sack numbers being blamed on the QB rather than the OL.

Jay Cutler was sacked 2.3 times per game through his 10. Caleb Hanie and Josh McCown in six games went down 26 times, or 4.5 times per game. Did the offensive line just get twice as bad 10 weeks into the season? Probably not.

Side Note: Kind of funny how he shows that there is a correlation between the QB and the number of sacks, but doesn't seem to know why and then just ends the article

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I like Moon the guy, but his articles are always praising the Bears. Just wish he could be a little bit objective once in awhile.

I remember when he said the Bears were the leaders in the Mario Williams sweepstakes.

Opening quote
CSNChicago.com (at least this humble chronicler of gridiron games) has not bought into any of the hysteria reaction over the offensive line for about two years.
Most sacks allowed in the past two years, clearly hysteria :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
One thing to note is Cutler's ability to throw off defenses before the snap, i.e. throwing out false signals. Caleb is too inexperienced to utilize that and McCown hasn't worked long enough with the team to build that ability. Cutler was also given more time as they pulled on Martz's leash from time to time by adding Tice's protection packages.

Does any of that justify the o-line's poor play? Not at all, obviously. I simply believe that the success in blocking during that winning stretch they had last year, is something that will be utilized and improved on this year. Basically, more focus on protection based on talent than archaic packages for 7 step drops.