ESPN's 50 greatest Cubs list

ChiSportsFan17

Liked Posts:
Anson, Santo and Williams I would all put ahead of Banks. I would have Anson at #1.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
How does Mark Grace not make it? Did I miss Lee Smith as well?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am assuming the list is in random order, which is a terrible way to make a list.

Shawon Dunston?? For a guy who was supposed to be the next big thing, he was a big disappointment. Sloppy fielder, free swinger...kind of like Soriano before Soriano. How could he even be considered one of the top 50 Cubs of all-time?

Jose Cardenal making the list is ridiculous.

I wouldn't put Zambrano on the list, either, but its interesting that he pitched 11 years in Chicago. He averaged 11 wins a year, which sounds about right.

No Randy Myers? Jody Davis?

Look up the word hotdog in the dictionary and you'll see his picture. He was the Soriano of his time.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Williams, Jenkins, Banks and now Santo added posthumously....all in MLB's Hall of Fame. All on the 1969 Cubs. I dont know the answer but the question is....In the history of MLB, has there ever been a team with 4 HOFers on it that never won a fucking thing?

I doubt it....

only the Cubs.....

:obama:

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
It pains me to see Sosa on that list, but the doping era is here to stay. I had some issues in the bottom end of the list, bottom 25 or so, I would have swapped a few of them around personally. But, it is a solid list.

Umm, with the exception of Ron Santo, he was WAAAAAY to high on the list, unless you're adding him for his post playing years as an announcer on top of being a player. As a player he didn't deserve to be in the top 25. As a player and an announcer I could see him pushing the top 10 but #2... um.. no. Not in my book.

Last edited:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
It pains me to see Sosa on that list, but the doping era is here to stay. I had some issues in the bottom end of the list, bottom 25 or so, I would have swapped a few of them around personally. But, it is a solid list.

Umm, with the exception of Ron Santo, he was WAAAAAY to high on the list, unless you're adding him for his post playing years as an announcer on top of being a player. As a player he didn't deserve to be in the top 25. As a player and an announcer I could see him pushing the top 10 but #2... um.. no. Not in my book.

He's probably the 6th or 7th best third baseman in the history of baseball. I think he's fine.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
How about the 95 Cleveland Indians? They had two guys that are in the Hall of Fame in Dave Winfield and Eddie Murray. They had Jim Thome who is a near lock for the Hall. Manny would be as well if it weren't for the PED issue. You also have some guys who have borderline cases for like Kenny Lofton and Omar Vizquel. They probably end up with at least 3 and a shot at having 5.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
How about the 95 Cleveland Indians? They had two guys that are in the Hall of Fame in Dave Winfield and Eddie Murray. They had Jim Thome who is a near lock for the Hall. Manny would be as well if it weren't for the PED issue. You also have some guys who have borderline cases for like Kenny Lofton and Omar Vizquel. They probably end up with at least 3 and a shot at having 5.

Ahhh, the Albert Belle 100 XBH year. I think that core ended up in the WS two years later. The 69 Cubs never got anywhere with any of those players.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ahhh, the Albert Belle 100 XBH year. I think that core ended up in the WS two years later. The 69 Cubs never got anywhere with any of those players.

I figured the premise was winning titles. I mean would our conversation about the 69 Cubs be dramatically different if they held onto the eastern division crown and got swept in the NLCS?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I figured the premise was winning titles. I mean would our conversation about the 69 Cubs be dramatically different if they held onto the eastern division crown and got swept in the NLCS?

Yes.

On top of all this I think the conversation being framed around just the '69 Cubs is rather stupid. The Cubs had this core together for years and never made the playoffs or won the division. The Cubs finished dead last with the same players in '66. Before Fergie got there the Cubs had 3 HOF'ers on the roster and were one of the worst teams in baseball. I think myopically viewing/excusing the Cubs collapse in '69 in terms of having 4 HOF's players is rather stupid.

Especially when bringing up the mid-late 1990's Indians who routinely made the playoffs and made it to (2) WS's.

MRubio52 said:
That 1995 team went to the WS.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Yes.

On top of all this I think the conversation being framed around just the '69 Cubs is rather stupid. The Cubs had this core together for years and never made the playoffs or won the division. The Cubs finished dead last with the same players in '66. Before Fergie got there the Cubs had 3 HOF'ers on the roster and were one of the worst teams in baseball. I think myopically viewing/excusing the Cubs collapse in '69 in terms of having 4 HOF's players is rather stupid.

Especially when bringing up the mid-late 1990's Indians who routinely made the playoffs and made it to (2) WS's.

That 1995 team went to the WS.

That's right! They won 100 games that year in a shortened schedule too.

I think what makes the 69 Cubs unique, as FirstTimer said, is that they never even made the postseason with 4 HOFers that weren't in their decline phase. You can find individual seasons like that, most recently the 08 Yanks, probably, but not a stretch like the late 60's, early 70's Cubs.