LaHair & Rizzo The Cubs Next 1-2 Punch?

ChicagoDawg1991

We've heard this all before Cub fans. From Santo & Banks to Sosa & Grace to Lee & Ramirez they both had lengthy careers in Cubbie pinstripes and had success in doing so. Sadly no championships were won with any of these 3 batting duos but it didn't stop any Cub fans from believing they could!

Now everybody has hope that Theo Epstein will lift the "100+ Year Curse" with all Cub fans hoping the youth that comes up from Iowa will bring the Commissioner's Trophy back to the North Side at Wrigley Field. Who are these youths I'm speaking of?

Majority of the fans are speaking about 1st base prospect Anthony Rizzo who was acquired in a deal with the Padres that sent Kyung-Min Na and pitcher Andrew Cashner. So far in Triple A Iowa, the 22 year old is hitting .346 with 14 homers and 39 runs driven in with an unreal On Base Plus Slugging % of 1.106 even though those stats are Triple A its still impressive

Why is he not playing with the Chicago Cubs? Well here's another story in last year's Pacific Coast League MVP and currently starter at first; Bryan LaHair.

Who is he? Drafted in 2002 in the 39th round by the Mariners, he had quite a journey to even be called up to Seattle! A man who is making under $500,000 and is arguably the best hitter on the Cubs right now batting .315 leading the club with 10 Homeruns and 21 runs driven in and his OPS % is currently at 1.028!

Now this is a question I've always wondered-Could we see a LaHair and Rizzo 1-2 punch possibly this year or hopefully next year? I really do believe so!! Question is will Sveum use LaHair in the outfield? Everyone's hoping that Alfonso Soriano who is currently hitting .311 in the month of May to be either put on waivers or be traded to clear up some space.

If Fonzie continues the way hes been hitting I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone by this year's deadline but sadly that's where I have to break the hearts of those who want him gone as he has a no-trade clause so if he were to stay it'll be until 2015 when his current contract expires :(

I bet however he is tired of being on a losing team and wants to play for a contending team but that will all depend if he waives that no-trade clause. Back to the potential 1-2 punch of Rizzo and LaHair, it is very possible. Who would want to take on an upcoming 30 year old journey man who is just now in the majors?

Plus as mentioned LaHair can play the corner outfields and on the road against AL Teams you can put him as the DH or first baseman and vice versa for Rizzo who's call up from Triple A is imminent. LaHair proved himself worthy of being on the team last year and I just don't see him leaving after this year.

Is he worth the $19 Million that we are paying Soriano? No chance in hell but hes playing like a millionaire! Rizzo will no doubt be the next big thing at Wrigley Field because he is just dying to get a chance to play in front of the leagues most loyal fans. Don't be fooled by the .141 in 49 games played with the Padres last year.

A chance seemed much need for him and he certainly got the change of a lifetime! Do I see him making an impact right away? Unlikely but time and patience will reward many Cub fans like myself. I was all hyped about LaHair coming up for the 2012 season and I got my wish and he has not disappointed me in the least!

His strikeout to walk ratio sorta bothers me but if he gets a hold of ball, its gone in a heartbeat! He needs 28-88 to match the totals he had last year with Iowa and boy the way hes playing he'll probably surpass that(assuming we have people on base)

So to recap, Anthony Rizzo no doubt is among the future stars with the Cubs, but the big question is could we have a 1-2 punch of LaHair and Rizzo? They can both crush the ball, hit well, both are left handed bats and also fighting for a job in the Majors.

One thing is for certain, there's gonna be a ton of expectations but the main thing is when will the Rizzo era begin? More importantly will we see LaHair with him when the time comes

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
This of course assumes that Bryan LaHair doesn't remember that he's Bryan LaHair, career minor leaguer.

lol... what.

i love LaHair, but the only problem is the age difference between Rizzo & LaHair. id love to see it for a bit, though, as they're both good players. LaHair has been a huge surprise as of now.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol... what.

i love LaHair, but the only problem is the age difference between Rizzo & LaHair. id love to see it for a bit, though, as they're both good players. LaHair has been a huge surprise as of now.

He's coming back down to earth. As in there was no way he was going to keep hitting like a crazy-man given his hot start. If he can work deep counts and continue to show power, he'll be great to have at minimum wage.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's coming back down to earth. As in there was no way he was going to keep hitting like a crazy-man given his hot start. If he can work deep counts and continue to show power, he'll be great to have at minimum wage.

he'll get back to hitting decently. i agree he has been a career minor leaguer & that nobody should expect shit from him, but he has been very valuable to the Cubs since the start of this season. baseball players have slumps & streaks. it happens. if he bats .280 w/ 25 homers & continues to stack up walks, he deserves to be kept for a few years, whether as a LFer or on the bench for insurance of Rizzo.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
He has a .403 Babip, he should be coming down to Earth soon.

It would be nice if he could keep the pace though, would be great for the Cubs.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yup, as long as he does what he's doing (even when slumping) he is valuable. You just hope he doesn't drop so far that he crashes through the floor.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Yup, as long as he does what he's doing (even when slumping) he is valuable. You just hope he doesn't drop so far that he crashes through the floor.

I honestly don't think he drops to the floor.

Unless the floor is .270-280 with 25 HR's. Then yeah, he's hitting the floor. He looks like he's still working counts, he's gotta adjust to the soft stuff now. Looks like he's in between looking fastball and offspeed. It always happens, I just think he adjusts back.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he'll end up settling out between .260 and .270 with 25HR's..maybe 30 this year because he started off so hot.

I honestly don't think he drops to the floor.

Unless the floor is .270-280 with 25 HR's. Then yeah, he's hitting the floor. He looks like he's still working counts, he's gotta adjust to the soft stuff now. Looks like he's in between looking fastball and offspeed. It always happens, I just think he adjusts back.

Way to steal what Brenly said during the broadcast last night.

:smug:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Minimum wage guy hitting around 25 homers who can work deep counts? Definitely useful on this team :D

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I think he'll end up settling out between .260 and .270 with 25HR's..maybe 30 this year because he started off so hot.

Way to steal what Brenly said during the broadcast last night.

:smug:

I think he said it previously too because I was listening to WGN last night.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Minimum wage guy hitting around 25 homers who can work deep counts? Definitely useful on this team :D

Yep! I think too many fans got excited and figured he was a 35-40 HR. guy. Fans should also check themselves with Rizzo too. He isn't a savior either.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
With LaHair my expectations are pretty tempered. As long as he can stand at 1B (or the OF) without letting too many balls get by him and doesn't completely embarrass himself in the batter's box, everything else is gravy.

bbaker

Liked Posts:
My expectations for Rizzo this season are 100 HRs, 304 RBI's & 1.000 avg.