Cubs Face Big time trade decisions

Explore trading Castro

• Total voters

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think this off season Castro might have hit a high in value. He could easily blow that away though

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I think this off season Castro might have hit a high in value. He could easily blow that away though

So you honestly believe that his peak value came at age 21?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

It's highly unlikely. He's still growing a bit and getting stronger, learning how to play the game better. But it's also possible that he just falls off a cliff, and you'd have to wait out this season before declaring last year his "peak" because you don't know what kind of line he'll put him over the full season.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
if you get a good package you do it..duh

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
It's highly unlikely. He's still growing a bit and getting stronger, learning how to play the game better. But it's also possible that he just falls off a cliff, and you'd have to wait out this season before declaring last year his "peak" because you don't know what kind of line he'll put him over the full season.

I think assuming he will decline though is quite ignorant and risky (both are risky, but I think improvement has a much higher likelihood than this).

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think assuming he will decline though is quite ignorant and risky (both are risky, but I think improvement has a much higher likelihood than this).

I don't think the Cubs are assuming he will decline. They are probably projecting him to be more valuable as he grows into power (whenever that happens) but because he's still pre-arb at the moment and has four full years of control left after this one, there's a financial factor that would boost whatever trade package you get back. Therefore you can make a case that he's more valuable now, before arbitration has taken effect, and that will boost your trade return while the other team assumes the risk that he simply falls off a cliff. I doubt that will happen though.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro is magnified a lot more because he is on the cubs. the cubs roster is brutal so he is going to get more attention being the only bright spot. Put him on Texas and he is just a good player.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro is magnified a lot more because he is on the cubs. the cubs roster is brutal so he is going to get more attention being the only bright spot. Put him on Texas and he is just a good player.

I agree that he would be less well known in those circumstances, but the guy would still be on the national radar after becoming the 10th player in modern baseball to get 200 hits in a season by age 21.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This is an interesting propsition because the Cubs have several options whether they keep him or explore trading him. The benefits of trading him are obvious -- bring in two top-tier prospects or several with lower ceilings in order to flesh out the farm system. It's apparent this team is nowhere close to competing for a championship, regardless if Castro is the centerpiece or not.

As good as Castro is right now and as good as he can be, I'm sure many of us will agree he's not a cornerstone piece to a lineup. His defense is atrocious, he lacks the patience (right now, at least) to develop a high OBP, and his power is more than likely two or three years away to being fully developed. I posted a few weeks ago that if Castro turned into a Derek Jeter-type with shittier defense and less leadership (.300/360/.475 with 20/20 potential), I'd be perfectly fine with that.

That aside, if the Cubs keep him, they absolutely need to look at moving him to second or a corner outfield spot. Defense isn't something that just magically improves. He's a black hole at short, despite the Web Gem he busted out last night. But like the article suggested, his trade value and overall value to the franchise deminishes because he wouldn't be playing at a premium position.

Ultimately, it just depends on how the Cubs value Castro in terms of his importance to their future. Right now, he's just a good player on a horrific team. If he was able to land a cache of prospects from a deep farm system, say Toronto, Atlanta, Seattle or Texas, that could improve their future in multiple positions, you absolutely have to look at it.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Easy answer no. Cause he only 22 and Cubs will not get a player better then him that is 22 or younger. The idea is to build around young players. He is one of the really young players.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Easy answer no. Cause he only 22 and Cubs will not get a player better then him that is 22 or younger. The idea is to build around young players. He is one of the really young players.

You build around young players who aren't expendable. Castro is good, but like others have said, he really doesn't fit the mold of Theo's typical player. Also, with the way this team is looking right now, it may be smarter to trade him for some top prospects that can help in a few years when this team is actually going to contend.

Personally, I'm not sold on Castro being the centerpiece that a competitive team builds around. His .OBP leaves a lot to be desired, his patience at the plate with RISP is also very troubling, not to mention his defense and his lack of power, though he could still develop that. Even so, his trade value is high and this current Cubs team is not going anywhere this year or next, so it would be dumb to not at least explore the options that are out there.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
You build around young players who aren't expendable. Castro is good, but like others have said, he really doesn't fit the mold of Theo's typical player. Also, with the way this team is looking right now, it may be smarter to trade him for some top prospects that can help in a few years when this team is actually going to contend.

Personally, I'm not sold on Castro being the centerpiece that a competitive team builds around. His .OBP leaves a lot to be desired, his patience at the plate with RISP is also very troubling, not to mention his defense and his lack of power, though he could still develop that. Even so, his trade value is high and this current Cubs team is not going anywhere this year or next, so it would be dumb to not at least explore the options that are out there.

You realize how many so called top prospects fail? Alot. So why trade a 22 y/o kid who already proving he one of the best SS in teh league. SS is a premium position and Cubs already have a 22 that has proven he will hit and hit and hit and hit and hit and hit and hit.. by the way he will hit. His DEF will improve. Its already been better this year. Yes his OBP is something but again only 22 y/o. Give him time to learn the zone. Lets not be trading away 22 y/o studs for so called top specs. Thats just dumb

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The question isn't whether they should trade Castro in this thread, but rather whether they should explore that possibility. You always explore.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The question isn't whether they should trade Castro in this thread, but rather whether they should explore that possibility. You always explore.

Not always. Teams dont trade 22 y/o SS who hit .300 in first 2 seasons in MLB.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
You realize how many so called top prospects fail? Alot. So why trade a 22 y/o kid who already proving he one of the best SS in teh league. SS is a premium position and Cubs already have a 22 that has proven he will hit and hit and hit and hit and hit and hit and hit.. by the way he will hit. His DEF will improve. Its already been better this year. Yes his OBP is something but again only 22 y/o. Give him time to learn the zone. Lets not be trading away 22 y/o studs for so called top specs. Thats just dumb

Castro is good, but he's not the second coming of Cal Ripken Jr. Sure he can hit and that's great, but his game isn't dynamic enough to be called a "stud", nor do I ever think it will be. I'm not sure he'll ever be a superstar who will be a power threat or have a solid and reliable glove. He has work to do, just like the top prospects who "fail". If Castro doesn't fix his flaws now, he could be deemed a failure himself down the line.

Nobody is saying to trade him for peanuts. The OP and others have simply said to explore the options that could be out there.

Also, if getting top prospects is "dumb", then I guess Theo's plan of building through the draft is dumb as well since you never know how your top draft picks are going to pan out either.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

If he were never to play a game again his peak value would have been this past off season

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he were never to play a game again his peak value would have been this past off season

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDbHwz6JGzo]Marge saying "well duh." - YouTube[/ame]

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Will his d improve? So far it seems to have gone the other way

Not sure he is a SS. Not going to say hes one of the best either

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Will his d improve? So far it seems to have gone the other way

Not sure he is a SS. Not going to say hes one of the best either

You really haven't been paying attention the past month if you think that.