Cubs Face Big time trade decisions

Explore trading Castro

• Total voters

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The hiring of Theo Epstein as club president marked a new era for the Chicago Cubs, but there was no chance that the change would manifest itself in the standings this year, and there is little chance that it will change anything next year.

The Cubs' problems are simply defined. They are probably about five or six young pitchers short of having a legitimate shot of contending. They are four or five players short among their position players, and those they do have -- Starlin Castro and Triple-A first baseman Anthony Rizzo -- need more development time.

Castro's career-high batting average of .316 masks a raw approach at the plate that is pervasive in this organization right now. We're a quarter of the way through the season and Castro has just four walks and a .326 on-base percentage, and he already has eight errors. To repeat: Castro has twice as many errors as walks. And he's supposed to be the Cubs' best player.

So this sets up perhaps the most compelling crossroads of the summer: How far should Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer take their restructuring of the roster, particularly in the case of Castro, Matt Garza and Bryan LaHair, who has been a bright spot in the organization this summer? (It would seem to be a fait accompli that the Cubs will deal Ryan Dempster, the 35-year-old right-hander who is headed to free agency in the fall.)

About Garza: He is 28 years old and for his career has a 3.83 ERA. He has demonstrated the ability to shut down really good teams and he has, at times, been derailed into inconsistency by his high emotions. He is among the best pitchers the Cubs have now, and he will be eligible for free agency after 2013.

His trade value will be at its highest in the next two months and would dip significantly if the Cubs waited until the winter to trade him. Signing him to a long-term deal would require a four- or five-year commitment, and while Garza isn't close to being in the Matt Cain market bracket, he won't be cheap; Garza might command a deal in the $50-$65 million range.

For the readers: Should the Cubs deal Garza or sign him?

LaHair, 29, has been a revelation, ranking among the league's best hitters this season with a .413 on-base percentage. He's played in a total of 104 games in the majors.

The Cubs could look to deal him, like a hot stock, in a summer in which there is very little offense available in the trade market. They probably wouldn't get anything close to a premium prospect for him, because other teams would have doubts about whether his emergence is for real -- just the case of a veteran getting pitched to aggressively while hitting in the middle of a bad lineup. The Cubs might be able to get a Grade-B prospect for him -- a relief prospect, perhaps.

For the readers: Should the Cubs keep LaHair and move him to left field when Rizzo is called up or sell him this summer?

Castro, 22, is viewed as the crown jewel of the Cubs' franchise, and at 21, he led the National League in hits with 207. He is seemingly capable of being a .300 hitter for the next 10-12 years.

His play is also raising questions about whether he can be a shortstop long term, because of his defensive inefficiency; he has 64 errors in his first 325 games in the majors. If he is moved to another position, his value will immediately be diminished. His on-base percentage was .347 in his first year, .341 last year, and it's down to .326 this year. Epstein always valued high on-base percentage in his years as general manager of the Boston Red Sox, more so than some other teams.

The Cubs could keep Castro as their centerpiece, with the belief that his flaws will be fixed. They could trade him -- and right now, before his salary begins to rocket upward, he could have significant value to a team that believes in his potential and values his athleticism. Think Hanley Ramirez, with depreciation for the fact Castro already has two-plus years of service time.

There are almost no deals the Cubs can make with their current 40-man roster that would bring them high-impact talent in return. Trading Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Marmol would bring them nothing; swapping Castro could get them two high-end prospects.

For the readers: If you are the Cubs, what should you do with Castro?

Garza was knocked out early Monday and the Cubs lost, again. That's seven straight losses and counting for Chicago.

We all know the conversations around Garza, LaHair, and Demp...the interesting thing in the article I bolded.

If you can get two premium/high end spects for Castro...do you at the very least seriously explore it?

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Yeah this will be really unpopular, but you have to explore it. There are no untouchables on this team as currently constructed. If you can get back the right mix of prospects for him, you trade him.

I do hope he stays a Cub, I suppose, but he doesn't exactly fit the Theo mold for players.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think I am going to repeat what everyone says here in saying that you have to consider trading anyone. And unfortunately only players that are young and good will net you anything in return. It would have to be a special package for me to trade a player of Castro's ilk (production at his age and contract status), but anyone can go in the right deal.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
of course you explore it.

Right now he is all that the Cubs have which is the reason for the "hype". He is a good ball player that could become better. If you look at a real contending team(s) he wouldnt really be much more than a "hits" guy. His OBP pretty much sucks, last year .341 is ok, no power is the concern.

If you can rob a team, do it, and do it now!

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only issue with trading Castro is that he is so young. Castro is younger than Jackson, Vitters, and Rizzo. He is three days older than Junior Lake. Trading Castro to me is a sign that they don't believe that this crop of prospects is enough to build around. They might be right, but that means this rebuilding is closer to 5 years than the 2 or 3 I think most of us were hoping for.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
of course you explore it.

Right now he is all that the Cubs have which is the reason for the "hype". He is a good ball player that could become better. If you look at a real contending team(s) he wouldnt really be much more than a "hits" guy. His OBP pretty much sucks, last year .341 is ok, no power is the concern.

If you can rob a team, do it, and do it now!

The OBP is obviously off but the SLG and AVG are pretty spot on to Jeter's at the same age. You're hoping he develops some more pop as Jeter did but that remains to be seen. I doubt he'll ever be a big OBP guy.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The OBP is obviously off but the SLG and AVG are pretty spot on to Jeter's at the same age. You're hoping he develops some more pop as Jeter did but that remains to be seen. I doubt he'll ever be a big OBP guy.
My guess is the only hope for a real jump in OBP is if the power jumps. If Castro becomes a 15-20 homerun player pitchers will be more careful than they are. Castro will probably always have to rely on a high avg to have a passable OBP though.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

What type of slash line would be acceptable at lets say his peak?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What type of slash line would be acceptable at lets say his peak?

310/350ish/480

Really loose. Some years above it. some below it but a "peak average" (say ages 25-32) of about that maybe?

Last edited:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
310/350/480

Really lose. Some years above it. some below it but a "peak average" (say ages 25-32) of about that maybe?

so are you more in the camp of moving him or rolling the potential dice with him?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
so are you more in the camp of moving him or rolling the potential dice with him?

I'd at least explore it. Can't say for sure without seeing who we'd be getting back. Not to blow smoke or cop out but can't take the stance of "trade him" or "risk it" without seeing the potential offer(s)

Reactions: X

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd basically trade him if the package coming back is obscene, and keep him otherwise. His arb starts next season since he's a Super Two.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd basically trade him if the package coming back is obscene, and keep him otherwise. His arb starts next season since he's a Super Two.

I'd love to possibly move him to Atlanta for some of their pitching spects seeing as the Cubs minor league pitching is absolute horse shit.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
My thread is better. brett hasn't posted in it...

I'm in. Lol

As stated no one is untouchable in the right package

The thing that I see is that Castro was more valuable last year.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I'd keep him... I doubt thee type of deal I would want in return would be coming back.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I'm in. Lol

As stated no one is untouchable in the right package

The thing that I see is that Castro was more valuable last year.

More valuable last year? If you mean trade value then no, not at all, a guy who hasn't played a full season in the majors at trade deadline last year (a little over it by then if you want it to be cumulative) who had hit .300 with 3 home runs, vs. a guy who at this point has a career batting average of .305 coming off a season where he had decent power (10 home runs) and led the NL in hits in his first full season, and now is in his third year... though I am not looking at any saber here, the second guy is more valuable.