Bears 'future rating' on ESPN.com

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
All information pulled from ESPN.com. Feature was done to assess which NFL franchises were poised to be successful in the 2015 season. The grading scale is based from 0 to 100, weighted scores and ranking methodology can be found here.

OVERALL SCORE 59.88 OUT OF A POSSIBLE 100

Teams were rated in five categories -- Roster, Quarterback, Draft, Front Office and Coaching

Roster -- 6/10

This isn't a roster stocked with young difference-makers, and that will be a challenge going forward with age a factor on every level. They do have a couple of decent young OTs and a pair of decent safeties, but at every other position, guys are closer to the end than the beginning and the backups aren't players who excite. This looks like a roster that could fall apart as veterans retire unless they do a great job in the draft. -- Horton

Quarterback -- 7/10

Jay Cutler is capable of leading a Super Bowl team, but he desperately needs blocking help in Chicago. He has elite arm talent, is great against the pressure and toughness isn't a question. Jason Campbell gives them insurance they didn't have before. -- Dilfer

Draft -- 5/10

Weak recent returns underscored by two straight years (2009-2010) without a pick in the first two rounds. It's created a roster with major age concerns on the defense. Offensive line remains a concern for me. There wasn't a single draft pick used there in 2012. -- Kiper

Front office -- 4.75/10

With the hiring of former Kansas City college director Phil Emery as GM, the philosophy of this front office will change. Emery will build this team through the draft, listen to head coach Lovie Smith and they will be a little more conservative in player acquisitions than the team has been in the past when chasing a Super Bowl title led to hit-and-miss spending on high-profile free agents. This front office should develop nicely. -- Horton

Coaching -- 6.75/10

Smith has a loyal coaching staff and his best quality is that he does not have a big ego. He never seemed comfortable with offensive coordinator Mike Martz, but he will be in step with Martz's replacement, Mike Tice. Ditto on defense with coordinator Rod Marinelli. Smith treats his assistants with dignity and this is a good working environment, but there is pressure to win more games now. -- Horton

Thoughts?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I read this and thought it was literally a joke

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
Who put that together, Stephen A. Smith?

Stephen-A-Smith.jpg

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Who put that together, Stephen A. Smith?

Stephen-A-Smith.jpg
Stephen A Smiff!!!

This is what he does when listening to his own voice:fap:

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
SAS is the troof.

And I really don't care for this future rating. Offense on the rise and the defense is declining but if Shea and guys like Paea and Melton step up and we have a good draft/FA, everything can change.

This is the NFL. You can go from worst to first in your division any given year.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The one that had the best comments was one of the worst scores. Makes no sense.

I get the saying that the draft is bad, but with the new GM the draft is a lot better. OL wasn't addressed which is obviously an issue, but a lot of the other problems were addressed.

They say that they are looking at the future and yet all they look at is the past to determine the future. If you're gonna predict what will happen in the future think about the recent changes and how they will affect the team.

The changes the Bears have made so far are going to do nothing but help them. The team is going to be significantly different this year. ESPN fails once again.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
If its future rankings, then why did they say Emery should develop nicely and then give him and the front office the worst score. And then they give a higher score to the roster where they basically talked about how it's going to suck.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If anything the coaches should get demerits for trusting the current OL. It wouldn't make sense for Emery to draft players coaches don't want.

And :lmao: at this being insider content.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
some reason i've grown to like SAS. Skip Baseless, however, is a tool.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If its future rankings, then why did they say Emery should develop nicely and then give him and the front office the worst score. And then they give a higher score to the roster where they basically talked about how it's going to suck.

Exactly what I said. The comments didn't back up the score. Seemed like they randomly chose the scores before making comments and thinking about it and then gave their comments.

Absolutely dumb. I'm surprised that Dilfer didn't trash Cutler more. Then again, he didn't really have a reason to because Cutler has been a lot better since the last big trashing of him.