1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
:dunno: postwhore

If you are looking for a post whore, look at the man who has more than a 1,000 more posts than me this month (but still contributes). Actually, a better example would be the Captain with 400 more posts than me this month and couldn't contribute if he wanted to.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you are looking for a post whore, look at the man who has more than a 1,000 more posts than me this month (but still contributes). Actually, a better example would be the Captain with 400 more posts than me this month and couldn't contribute if he wanted to.

There ya go postwhoring again, Soto blows btw get ride of his worthless pot smokin ass

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castillo will never get a chance to prove himself with Soto still here. Case and point!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
There ya go postwhoring again, Soto blows btw get ride of his worthless pot smokin ass

My argument is simply that we can get nothing for Soto now, and Castillo is nothing but a stopgap either, so why not wait another year to see if his value can go up a little? Value can't really get that much lower... and even if it does it is from something nearly worthless to something even closer to worthless.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Castillo will never get a chance to prove himself with Soto still here. Case and point!

Okay... that can be said of a lot of things... Cardenas will never get a chance to prove himself with Barney still here... but they are both worthless anyway.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe if he hits for some power 10 hrs, place good defense, and stays healthy every year he will surpass anything soto has done.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe if he hits for some power 10 hrs, place good defense, and stays healthy every year he will surpass anything soto has done.

The health would be good but Soto's had at least 10 homers each full MLB season before this one, so I'd be curious to see Castillo's power come into play.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Maybe, but I am not that high on him... he was our #6 prospect before the Rizzo trade, so he is #7 now in a weak system. Beyond our Top 3 guys, the only guys I think can have an impact at the MLB level are Szczur and Vitters.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay... that can be said of a lot of things... Cardenas will never get a chance to prove himself with Barney still here... but they are both worthless anyway.

Cardenas potential is not anywhere near Castillo. There's a reason Oakland DFA him as they didn't think he has starter potential. However, he wasn't give a chance but he seems to be a back-up/utility.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Cardenas potential is not anywhere near Castillo. There's a reason Oakland DFA him as they didn't think he has starter potential. However, he wasn't give a chance but he seems to be a back-up/utility.

Castillo doesn't have much potential either, even as a starter, he'd be below average.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Castillo doesn't have much potential either, even as a starter, he'd be below average.

We don't know that ... he'll still be better than Soto now. Soto K's, hits into DP's and lets' everybody steal off of him.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
We don't know that ... he'll still be better than Soto now. Soto K's, hits into DP's and lets' everybody steal off of him.

I don't think you've look at Castillo's minor league stats much.

K's: Soto 124K/421AB, Castillo 66K/275AB Soto 29.4% percent of time in MLB, Castillo 24% of time in AAA... that is 2011 stats, but they both strike out too much.

GDP's: Soto 12GDP/421AB, Castillo 8GDP/275AB Soto 2.85% of time in MLB, Castillo 2.90% of time in AAA.... about the same, but Castillo was also in hitter-friendly PCL, which needs to be taken into account for K's too.

CS: Soto 85SB/36CS, Castillo 40SB/16CS Soto throws runners out 30% of the time in MLB, Castillo just 29% of the time in AAA.

So the stats you threw out there are ill-advised.

Castillo has produced in AAA, but it is also a hitter-friendly league and he is in his third season at the level.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im more worried what they going to look like in 2 years. Only 3 guys i see being on roster that will matter in 2 years is Castro, Garza, Shark... Hopefully Rizzo and Jackson will become something but havent had chance to prove anything yet in MLB.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
All right, I am late to the party, but lets talk about the Cubs catching situation. I get why everyone is down on Soto, but giving him up for nothign right now doesn't seem like the most productive use of resources right now.

As far as Castillo goes, there have been whispers about his defense being not that great for quite a while. Many have stated that he really is a poor game caller. He falls in love with the strength of his arm, and he is brutal at framing pitches. He can get better in all these areas, but it isn't like Castillo is 21 or 22. He is 25. His offensive upside is a guy that will hit for some power with a low average. If the defense improves he could be a decent starter at the catcher position, but I highly doubt he ever puts up the numbers Soto did.

I've been saying this for a while, but Steve Clevenger reminds me a lot of a left handed Eli Marrero. I think his value is going to be a supersub that can catch. He could probably play four or five times a week with a few games at the corner infield spot. His arm is pretty bad for a catcher. The rest of his game behind the plate doesn't seem too bad, but I am not sure he is a guy that we really want catching 100+ games a year.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
All right, I am late to the party, but lets talk about the Cubs catching situation. I get why everyone is down on Soto, but giving him up for nothign right now doesn't seem like the most productive use of resources right now.

As far as Castillo goes, there have been whispers about his defense being not that great for quite a while. Many have stated that he really is a poor game caller. He falls in love with the strength of his arm, and he is brutal at framing pitches. He can get better in all these areas, but it isn't like Castillo is 21 or 22. He is 25. His offensive upside is a guy that will hit for some power with a low average. If the defense improves he could be a decent starter at the catcher position, but I highly doubt he ever puts up the numbers Soto did.

I've been saying this for a while, but Steve Clevenger reminds me a lot of a left handed Eli Marrero. I think his value is going to be a supersub that can catch. He could probably play four or five times a week with a few games at the corner infield spot. His arm is pretty bad for a catcher. The rest of his game behind the plate doesn't seem too bad, but I am not sure he is a guy that we really want catching 100+ games a year.

So what your saying is when Cubs win they will have a new C. That can be said for about 20 of the 25 roster spots

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I am saying is that I don't see the burning need to move Soto to get more playing time for Castillo/Clevenger. If the team was going to move him to be able to use his salary to improve elsewhere I would be fine with that, but that would seem just as likely to be done after the season is over as at the deadline.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
dabynsky is better at getting the point across than I am.

CHAD0034

Cubs/Blackhawks
Liked Posts:
I'm not a big fan of the way the article was written, but solid job.

As for Soriano, I feel like he's the one guy whose somewhat contributing, after his terrible start. His fielding is actually average (little below average range), and I don't think he actually has an error yet this season.

If he continues to keep hitting, his average will end up around .280 before he knows it, and then I'd look to deal him around the deadline. Some contender in the AL could use him.