Bears have doubts that Matt Forte’s knees can hold up

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears have doubts that Matt Forte’s knees can hold up | ProFootballTalk

The Bears’ reluctance to offer a lucrative long-term contract to Matt Forte stems in part from concerns that his knees won’t allow him to remain an upper-echelon NFL running back for much longer.

The wear and tear Forte took during a college career at Tulane in which he had nearly 1,000 touches was a concern entering the 2008 NFL draft, and a source told David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune that with more than 1,200 touches under his belt in the NFL, the Bears wonder how long Forte’s knees will hold up.

Forte’s knee injuries include a torn posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in 2006, a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee in 2009 and a sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee in 2011. The Bears may be concerned about the possibility of arthritis becoming a problem for Forte.

Although he’s only 26 years old and was having a great season when he got injured in the 12th game last year, the Bears have shown very little interest in signing Forte to anything other than the one-year franchise tender. The reality for NFL running backs is that teams toss them aside once they’re used up, and the Bears may think Forte’s knees are close to used up.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If this is the case, I have no problem with the Bears not re-signing Forte for a long period of time.

Bell and Bush can suffice, I believe.

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is sad but runningbacks are disposal at this point int he league. No one is capable of standing up to the amount of abuse that comes from the touches that Forte has been getting.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
bring back Curtis Enis
th_ssst.gif

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
i wouldve like to keep Barber. but yes, Bell & Bush can perform adequately enough to win games. id also like to pick up maybe a second round running back next year, w/ a LB in the first.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Get involved with another team, get Forte to sign an extension and get rid of his ass. I'm sick of hearing about his contract. If he doesn't want to be here, get rid of him.

ChiIllini22

Liked Posts:
Get involved with another team, get Forte to sign an extension and get rid of his ass. I'm sick of hearing about his contract. If he doesn't want to be here, get rid of him.

This. Get a good pick out of it and we can survive with Bush til we get another.