Dale Sveum

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
As you can see from the title, this article is about manager Dale Sveum. Let me just say, the losing streak was not all on Sveum. Most of the blame has to go on the players as they are the ones going out and playing. Also, some blame has to go on hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo as the Cubs aren't scoring runs/hitting the ball. I know Jaramillo can't work magic with nothing to work with, but he still he has to do something. Bruce Levine heard that Dale Sveum and his coaching staff could be gone after the rebuilding phase. I don't see that happening unless he continues to fail season in and out. My main reason I say that is Sveum and his coaching staff will build chemistry with the young kids and how they play. The only way I can see them letting Sveum and/or his coaching staff go if the right coaches come available. Other than that, I see Team Theo retaining Sveum and his coaching staff after the rebuilding phase. Here's the positives and negatives I have see from Sveum thus far:

Positives:
**I love how he plays the shifts for each and every player by their hitting chart. Sometimes it does hurt, but for the most part, the shifts have worked out great.
**Also, I like his coaching strategies mentality ... where he says the balls are hit more in the gap between 3rd/SS and 2B/1B. So ... he has his infielders play more in the gap than playing closer to the lines
**I like how he brings new techniques to the ball club. For example, the bunting tournament in Spring Training (it hasn't showed, but still...).
**Finally, I LOVE Sveum moving Starlin Castro to the 2 hole. I think Castro is best serve to hit in the 2 spot and where he makes his name. Also, I love how much Castro's defense has improved. It's been very impressive and I've been very happy.

Negatives:
**Sveum may gives outs away too early. For example, in today's game Sveum had the #3 hitter Joe Mather bunt in the 1st inning, 0 outs, a runner at 2nd and the wind howling straight out (25-30mph). That stirred buzz all over Twitter and many fans were against it. For the most part, you never want to give away outs early and especially when the wind blowing out like it did today. No one really got the move by Sveum.
**Getting back to the 3rd hitter ... Joe Mather should not be batting 3rd. Alfonso Soriano should bat 3rd or Brian LaHair. Either player who bats 3rd will make the 0ther player bat 4th. If Mather continues to be in the line-up, bat his 5th or 6th.
**I may be in the minority about this one, but ... where is Tony Campana? Sveum did say he was going to try something new and since then, Campana has not started. Granted, Campana is not a good hitter, but he was getting on base and was a spark plug. When he gets on base, he turns it into a double or triple. With the blazing speed he has. To me, he didn't do much to sit down (he's still batting .299 and has 13 stolen bases in limited time). He will be a pinch runner for most of his career, but he should get a chance on a struggling team. Also, with his speed, he can steal runs and the Cubs need runs anyway they can get 'em.
**As we all know the bullpen is very bad, but Sveum has a tendency to leave pitchers in too long when they are struggling. We have seen that way too much this year and it's still the early part of the season. Most notably, Carlos Marmol and Rafael Dolis.

I know it's early into the season, but what grade would you rate Dale Sveum in the first couple months (grading scale)? I am going to give him a C. I think C is the best grade thus far and it's right in the middle. I hope I can give him a better grade come later into the season.

Thoughts?

Dale Sveum |

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
My only complaint with Dale Baylor is the first negative you listed. Apart from that I can't really fault him for anything.

Mather hitting third was just pulling a guy that had been hot at the spot with the most productive hitter. I agree that Soriano ought to be moved up to the 3 spot right now with the way he is hitting, but I don't think it really matters right now who is hitting 3rd.

Tony Campana has really tailed off, as most of us expected with his ridiculous high BABIP. During the losing streak he was batting .182/.280/.182. He doesn't do the club any good unless he is getting on base, and that simply isn't cutting it. If you extend the numbers back to the high water mark for his average on May 7, he has been hitting .256/.304/.279 since that point.

When the entire bullpen sucks it is hard to find fault with the guy. You can argue that he stuck with certain guys too long, but when there isn't a guy to turn to it is hard to say that he was wrong. Carlos Marmol hanging onto the closer spot as long as he did probably had a little something to do with Theo and Jed wanting to create value to trade him.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I know Campana has struggled but he still should get some starts. Mather hasn't done too muchand he' the Cubs 3 hitter. With he lineup they had today, I would have:

1) DeJesus
2) Castro
3) Soriano
4) LaHair
5) Mather
6) Stewart
7) Barney
8) Catcher
9) Pitcher

I have Stewart 6th and Mather 5th so it's not back-to-back lefties.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
My only complaint with Dale Baylor is the first negative you listed. Apart from that I can't really fault him for anything.

Mather hitting third was just pulling a guy that had been hot at the spot with the most productive hitter. I agree that Soriano ought to be moved up to the 3 spot right now with the way he is hitting, but I don't think it really matters right now who is hitting 3rd.

Tony Campana has really tailed off, as most of us expected with his ridiculous high BABIP. During the losing streak he was batting .182/.280/.182. He doesn't do the club any good unless he is getting on base, and that simply isn't cutting it. If you extend the numbers back to the high water mark for his average on May 7, he has been hitting .256/.304/.279 since that point.

When the entire bullpen sucks it is hard to find fault with the guy. You can argue that he stuck with certain guys too long, but when there isn't a guy to turn to it is hard to say that he was wrong. Carlos Marmol hanging onto the closer spot as long as he did probably had a little something to do with Theo and Jed wanting to create value to trade him.

Do you mean 1st and 2nd or just 2nd? They probably could be into one point, but they're 2 different statements.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I know Campana has struggled but he still should get some starts. Mather hasn't done too muchand he' the Cubs 3 hitter. With he lineup they had today, I would have:

1) DeJesus
2) Castro
3) Soriano
4) LaHair
5) Mather
6) Stewart
7) Barney
8) Catcher
9) Pitcher

I have Stewart 6th and Mather 5th so it's not back-to-back lefties.
I wouldn't mind the Cubs rolling that lineup pretty regularly until callups and trades happen. If you wanted to pop Campana in the lineup I would probably do this:
1)DeJesus
2)Castro
3)LaHair
4)Soriano
5)Stewart
6)Barney
7)Catcher
8)Pitcher
9)Campana

Mather was hitting well in limited time. I don't think anyone really expected him to keep producing the way he had up to this point, but when you are in a tailspin like that you try anything to pull the team out of it. I don't think it was a terrible idea. If Mather is still batting third in a week and isn't producing than I would think it would be something to worry about (not about this team because it doesn't matter what the lineup is this season but about Sveum).

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Sveum gets an A-, great manager

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we'll have a better gauge of how good of a manager Sveum is if he had actual MLB talent on this team. Right now his team sucks so bad that everything he does, even if fundamentally sound, would have the potential of making him look like an idiot :lol:

That said, there's no way he's hired if Theo and Jed didn't trust his judgment and ability to lead a squad, especially a team that's not meant to go anywhere this season.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you mean 1st and 2nd or just 2nd? They probably could be into one point, but they're 2 different statements.
To be honest I don't know what you are referring to with this post.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:

You said the 1st negative one, but I think this post you replied to was meant for my 2nd negatives:

**Sveum may gives outs away too early. For example, in today's game Sveum had the #3 hitter Joe Mather bunt in the 1st inning, 0 outs, a runner at 2nd and the wind howling straight out (25-30mph). That stirred buzz all over Twitter and many fans were against it. For the most part, you never want to give away outs early and especially when the wind blowing out like it did today. No one really got the move by Sveum.
**Getting back to the 3rd hitter ... Joe Mather should not be batting 3rd. Alfonso Soriano should bat 3rd or Brian LaHair. Either player who bats 3rd will make the 0ther player bat 4th. If Mather continues to be in the line-up, bat his 5th or 6th.
Make more sense now?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
You said the 1st negative one, but I think this post you replied to was meant for my 2nd negatives:

Make more sense now?
It does make more sense now. I was saying though that I only have a problem with how frequently he gives up outs. Mather batting third is a temporary situation which while I agree is silly I don't think I will fault the guy too much for.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It does make more sense now. I was saying though that I only have a problem with how frequently he gives up outs. Mather batting third is a temporary situation which while I agree is silly I don't think I will fault the guy too much for.

The outs are probably a function of how bad this offense is so he's just trying to get more guys into scoring position, but for the most part I agree. I doubt he bunts as much if the lineup was stacked at the top with good hitters though.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The outs are probably a function of how bad this offense is so he's just trying to get more guys into scoring position, but for the most part I agree. I doubt he bunts as much if the lineup was stacked at the top with good hitters though.
Funny how we have flip-flopped positions on this with me earlier in the year saying essentially the same thing. The bunting with Castro in front of LaHair was the worst example of this, and I agree that he probably will be less bunt happy with a potent lineup. Just it is making me nervous how frequently he is resorting to the straight sacrifice bunt.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think if he had more time he would've instructed the guys how to surprise bunt better. Surprise bunts are better than showing bunt right off, methinks.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree that was always something that the Cardinals, especially their pitchers, seemed to do well.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:

Ohh gotcha ... my bad!

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
i love his aggressiveness, for one. he's a good, hard-nosed coach. look @ Soriano's defense after he came in... whether or not that has to do w/ McKay, obv. he preaches it.
guys, he's a first year manager.... cut him a lil. he'll learn. no need to overpraise or be too critical, it's a bad team w/ a new face that's rebuilding. in a couple years, we'll see how he really stacks up.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I honestly wish we would've never hired him, but it's not like the guy has anything to work with right now. It's not really fair to assess his ability with this kind of roster. I personally felt we had plenty of other good options out there to be our manager.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly wish we would've never hired him, but it's not like the guy has anything to work with right now. It's not really fair to assess his ability with this kind of roster. I personally felt we had plenty of other good options out there to be our manager.

Examples please?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Examples please?

Examples of who I would've rather had us hire? Ryne Sandberg, Mike Maddux, Bobby Valentine, Jose Oquendo, Joey Cora or Terry Pendleton are all guys I'd much rather see on the bench. Like I said, with our roster, I understand it's hard to gauge a manager's true ability. I just feel like the fact that the Brewers weren't willing to extend Sveum's interim tag kind of scared me. Meh, again... it's just a matter of opinion. I think Sveum will ultimately be just fine when he gets a competent roster.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dale Sveum could use one of these:

Bart_at_bat.jpg