Nate McClouth Released On Waivers

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Low risk, high reward....Claim him

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
...or just wait for him to be released and then sign to minor league deal. Then you don't have to eat the remainder of his salary. It's not a big salary, but anytime you can save a million bucks, I think you wait, especially if the OF is full of mediocrity already.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
...or just wait for him to be released and then sign to minor league deal. Then you don't have to eat the remainder of his salary. It's not a big salary, but anytime you can save a million bucks, I think you wait, especially if the OF is full of mediocrity already.

He'll be released, no one will claim him.

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well the original post said claim him. If they did claim him it would mean assuming the rest of the contract.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well the original post said claim him. If they did claim him it would mean assuming the rest of the contract.

It's only 1.75 million, but still no one will pick that up. He'll probably sign a minor league deal and I will like it for the team. He wasn't bad and I think he could be big.

It's just a perfect example on how players can go from being good to being released.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I've been looking this over and I guess my first reaction is I thought we were trying to create OF space not add another body. I am guessing I would be fine with rolling the dice on McLouth in CF for a few weeks instead of Tony Campana. I don't know as if I think the Cubs should spend a million bucks to take that chance that he can remain healthy and recapture the form he had 4 years ago. But McLouth certainly has more upside than Campana, and if the price was prorated minimum I wouldn't be opposed to a few weeks of McLouth as the Brett Jackson placeholder.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I've been looking this over and I guess my first reaction is I thought we were trying to create OF space not add another body. I am guessing I would be fine with rolling the dice on McLouth in CF for a few weeks instead of Tony Campana. I don't know as if I think the Cubs should spend a million bucks to take that chance that he can remain healthy and recapture the form he had 4 years ago. But McLouth certainly has more upside than Campana, and if the price was prorated minimum I wouldn't be opposed to a few weeks of McLouth as the Brett Jackson placeholder.

Such a Campana hater :dunno:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Such a Campana hater :dunno:

I am such hater because I think a guy that at the same age as Campana now put an 800 OPS and played "gold glove" defense in center has a higher ceiling than Campana :thinking:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am such hater because I think a guy that at the same age as Campana now put an 800 OPS and played "gold glove" defense in center has a higher ceiling than Campana :thinking:

Who that?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nate McLouth. He put an .800 OPS at age 25, 26, and 27. He has a gold glove. It is a pretty low chance that he returns to that player, but I would say that he has a far greater chance of becoming that player again than Tony Campana does.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nate McLouth. He put an .800 OPS at age 25, 26, and 27. He has a gold glove. It is a pretty low chance that he returns to that player, but I would say that he has a far greater chance of becoming that player again than Tony Campana does.

Campana job not is to have over .800 OPS. His job is to get on base and steal like crazy. I highly doubt McClouth ever becomes that player again.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Campana job not is to have over .800 OPS. His job is to get on base and steal like crazy. I highly doubt McClouth ever becomes that player again.

I doubt that he become that player again as well, but that player is worth a lot more than Campana. It is a low risk move with the potential for a high reward. Most likely this is moot because he could still accept assignment to the minors for the Pirates if no one claims him or sign with another organization that might guarantee him a major league roster spot.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I doubt that he become that player again as well, but that player is worth a lot more than Campana. It is a low risk move with the potential for a high reward. Most likely this is moot because he could still accept assignment to the minors for the Pirates if no one claims him or sign with another organization that might guarantee him a major league roster spot.

Why do fans hate speed guys? With power down across MLB speed guys are going to be huge again. Teams are starting to draft for speed. CIN has a guy named Hamilton who suppose to be a speed demon.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why do fans hate speed guys? With power down across MLB speed guys are going to be huge again. Teams are starting to draft for speed. CIN has a guy named Hamilton who suppose to be a speed demon.

If Tony Campana was Brett Butler, I would love the guy as much as you do. But he has no where near the plate discipline that Butler did, i.e. he doesn't walk nearly as much and strikes out a lot more. McLouth is far from a slugger though, and he put up 20 steal seasons when he got full playing time.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Tony Campana was Brett Butler, I would love the guy as much as you do. But he has no where near the plate discipline that Butler did, i.e. he doesn't walk nearly as much and strikes out a lot more. McLouth is far from a slugger though, and he put up 20 steal seasons when he got full playing time.

Campana was taking more walks this year while he was playing though. If he dont play we wont ever know if he can learn the strikezone more

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Campana was taking more walks this year while he was playing though. If he dont play we wont ever know if he can learn the strikezone more

The odds of him learning the strikezone to the point that he would have to be an effective everyday player is about the same as McLouth returning to the .800 OPS player he was four years ago. I would rather roll the dice on the 800 OPS player returning to form than getting Brett Butler.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
mclouth with amputated legs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>campana

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would be pretty hard to argue that McLouth has been better than Campana this season. That has little bearing though on what is best for the Cubs going forward. McLouth is four years older than Campana, but the move could be worth it if it was for nothing. Campana goes back to Iowa and plays everyday for a bit and we see McLouth can be another winning lottery ticket like Shark and LaHair have been so far. Odds are though that McLouth picks a different team once he has his choice. And that I am not sure if Theo and Jed would bring in McLouth given McLouth's age.