White Sox Edition Of: Off-Topic Discussion

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
kinda pissed that we havent had any crazy storms.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lmr8sfkxydlyp8u8fz3f.jpeg

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
but seriously...........we need more bad storms. do any of you like crazy bad weather?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sale is awesome, but am I the only one that doesn't get the Randy Johnson comparisons? I get that they were both tall, lanky lefties and had amazing sliders, but did I miss where Sale can hit triple digits with his fastball?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sale is awesome, but am I the only one that doesn't get the Randy Johnson comparisons? I get that they were both tall, lanky lefties and had amazing sliders, but did I miss where Sale can hit triple digits with his fastball?

its more of mechanics and delivery. He doesnt have to hit triple digits to be a top tier pitcher. Im sure he could hit triple digits if he reached back for something extra, I just dont think he needs to.

plus i dont think can hit a bird

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
its more of mechanics and delivery. He doesnt have to hit triple digits to be a top tier pitcher. Im sure he could hit triple digits if he reached back for something extra, I just dont think he needs to.

plus i dont think can hit a bird

Phil Rogers said his stuff is comparable to RJ, and I never said he couldn't be an amazing pitcher without the heater. I just don't see Randy Johnson's stuff when he threw considerably harder than Sale does. I think Sale is going to be amazing, if healthy, but I guess that just struck me about the comparison when I heard it.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

If I remember right, Sale hit the triple digits when he was drafted but it has fallen off because he has to throw more than a couple innings a game.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I remember right, Sale hit the triple digits when he was drafted but it has fallen off because he has to throw more than a couple innings a game.

Exactly the point, RJ was capable of throwing that deep into the game. So again, wtf with Sale's stuff is comparable to the Big Unit?

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly the point, RJ was capable of throwing that deep into the game. So again, wtf with Sale's stuff is comparable to the Big Unit?

Same nasty slider and same mechanics is basically where the comparison comes from.

But I don't think that anyone making the comparisons actually believes that Sale will be that good or will be able to do some of the same things that RJ did. It's mostly a "this guy looks like Johnson" thing.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

its the mechanics. thats what its always been about. they are very similar in pitching mechanics

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Same nasty slider and same mechanics is basically where the comparison comes from.

But I don't think that anyone making the comparisons actually believes that Sale will be that good or will be able to do some of the same things that RJ did. It's mostly a "this guy looks like Johnson" thing.

I am not here to say that Chris Sale isn't going to be a very good pitcher. I think he will be, provided the arm stays attached. It is just I am sorry that when I think of the Big Unit I think about being able to bring the heat and the wicked slider. Having half of it doesn't make me think hey this guy looks like RJ. But again it is coming from Phil Rogers.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not here to say that Chris Sale isn't going to be a very good pitcher. I think he will be, provided the arm stays attached. It is just I am sorry that when I think of the Big Unit I think about being able to bring the heat and the wicked slider. Having half of it doesn't make me think hey this guy looks like RJ. But again it is coming from Phil Rogers.

delivery and mechanics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

And what we're saying is that the comparison isn't about how well they pitch. It's that they have the same nasty slider and similar mechanics. That's it. They just look like each other when they throw.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
its the mechanics. thats what its always been about. they are very similar in pitching mechanics

But that isn't what Phil Rogers said. This is:
Here's what I wrote about Chris Sale for Baseball America's 2011 Prospect Handbook: "Sale has the stuff and lanky build to be a facsimile of future Hall of Famer Randy Johnson, throwing three plus pitches from a low three-quarters delivery.'' I'll admit I felt funny pushing the Big Unit comparison, but look at Sale now. I'd vote for him first if the AL Cy Young ballot was in front of him, as he is 8-2 and leads AL starters in ERA (2.05) and WHIP (0.92). He's only 19th in innings but tied for 6th in strikeouts, with a K/BB ratio of 4.2-1. Must-see TV, for sure.
So again, wtf?

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know. Maybe the fact that Sale had that fastball before and that was his big pitch before makes him think that Sale still has it which would make him comparable to RJ.

Nobody knows exactly why Phil Rogers said what he said.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
im not phil rogers.

if it hurts your weenus so much ask him on twitter.

@ChiTribRogers