Cubs Clearing Path for Rizzo

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Im going to Cubs vs Mets on Tuesday so he better be up

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
do you guys think that when he comes up, his first at bat all games on mlb tv will go to his first at bat?

:troll:

Hilarious! Seriously, though, the whole world will see the results of his first AB on the highlight reels later that night... and possibly all of his AB in his first game.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
That is why I made my sracastic post. In chicago that is all that is talked about. Is it because the cubs suck and its the only thing to try to look forward too? media driven? could be. I think way too many people have him shoed in for being this savior. Not saying you, but generally, the media, the fans on message boards, the fans on the radio etc. its chicago where fans get excited and than kicked in the nuts.

I don't live in Chicago. I'm actually more than 1200 miles away. It's Rangers' territory out here. Even with that, I can't go more than 2-3 days without reading, hearing, seeing the hype around Rizzo. If it's that bad here... I can only imagine how bad it is in Chicago.

Rizzo has put up God-like numbers in Iowa this year. I've read a lot of stuff on how small adjustments here and there with his hand position, leverage through the K-zone, shortening of his swing have all generated this. That's wonderful. I've even seen a good majority of his AB through MiLB.tv. The kid's good... but he's not the "savior" so many people seem to think he is. He still has 49 Ks in 243 AB. He's on a pace of about 110 Ks in the PCL. He's also on a pace of about 50 BB as well. He brings a ton of power... but you have to remember that Rizzo is doing this in an offensive oriented AAA league.

So many seem to think that he's going to automatically transfer his .350/.413/.712/1.125 23 HR and 17 2B through 243 AB/269 PA line to the majors. Those who do, I believe, are going to be extremely disappointed.

Rizzo isn't the "savior". He's going to be a major piece to this puzzle, but he's not the "savior". I've said time and time again, I think you should expect something like a .260-280 BA with an OBP 60-80 points higher... 25-30 HR and similar 2B numbers. He's going to strike out around 120-130 times a year, but he should also walk around 60 times. Kind of like a light Adam Dunn with a better BA and GG caliber defensive play at 1B. For his eventual callup this year... I'd be surprised if he hits above .250-260 with an OBP around .330-.340 and 10-12 HR. The league will adjust to him within 2-3 weeks since there's already a book out on him... and I think we'll see him struggle for a bit when that happens. However, I think we'll also see him adjust this year where he did not last year. His mental and mechanical approach seems much more sound than it was last year.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Im going to Cubs vs Mets on Tuesday so he better be up

I believe tomorrow marks the 'magical' day for continued control and Super 2 relief. Iowa is at home this weekend against Round Rock. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rizzo play this weekend series as kind of a "last chance to see Rizzo in Des Moines" type of thing for the fans there. Plus, Rizzo currently sits with 159 games played at the AAA level... and Epstein has talked about how important it was to see his numbers through 162 games. If he plays tonight's game in Round Rock, then the games in Des Moines against Round Rock tomorrow and Sunday... he's got that 162 games.

The big league team is on the road in Arizona this weekend, but they return to Wrigley on Monday to face the Mets. That game's probable pitchers are Wood V Santana. Whereas Dillon Gee will take the mound Tuesday... and is kind of known for giving up bombs, and not being treated very well by LH sluggers. So, Tuesday is a much better situation for Rizzo than Monday. You don't want to call up the "savior", and have him sit the bench his first day up. Nor do you want to have him struggle against one of the elite southpaws around in his very first game.

I think Rizzo gets the call on Tuesday... or Monday night following the game. I also think you'll see Rizzo in the Cubs' dugout Monday night.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they call up Rizzo after this weekend, then they don't care about Super Two at all. I guess being that the new CBA makes the Super Two cutoff for Rizzo sometime in August, it wouldn't make sense to wait anyway. If he's good enough to warrant it you're almost glad to pay him the money he'd command in arbitration anyway.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
If they call up Rizzo after this weekend, then they don't care about Super Two at all. I guess being that the new CBA makes the Super Two cutoff for Rizzo sometime in August, it wouldn't make sense to wait anyway. If he's good enough to warrant it you're almost glad to pay him the money he'd command in arbitration anyway.

That could be true. As it is, due to Rizzo's time up last year, I didn't think there was much of a chance at avoiding Super 2 anyway... not if he was called up at all this year. Plus, if you don't end up screwing him financially now... it could go a long way in getting a more favorable extension down the line.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Hmmm, all of our speculating here.... and there's an article on the team's website that kind of shows we know what we're talking about.

Rizzo promotion to Cubs imminent, but when? | cubs.com: News

Note how Sveum says "It's coming soon, but not here." As in Arizona.... and at the bottom of that section, they bring up the home stand beginning Monday.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah it seems likely that he will be here to start the homestand. I am hopeful at least.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Too bad we are too far behind for him to help us at all.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then what will we do when Jackson gets the call? Convert him into a starting pitcher?

Brett Jackson is a center fielder. He should stay there.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then I take it there would be no more Reed, Campy or Dejesus? I'll just stay retired.

In the long run you'd prefer not to see any of those guys in the outfield.