Cuban outfielder Puig defects Workout for Major League scouts expected this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really doubt the Cubs are heavily involved, but it would be awesome to get another high end talent.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too bad, I'd rather have thrown $2.9MM at him instead of $30MM or whatever :D

I don't want to blow all of our budget on one guy. This year more than ever should be about numbers given the even cap. Next year when we have the edge in spending due to our sucktastic record go after the big fish.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't want to blow all of our budget on one guy. This year more than ever should be about numbers given the even cap. Next year when we have the edge in spending due to our sucktastic record go after the big fish.

Yeah, I was hoping they wouldn't get it settled until after the deadline so he'd have to settle for the international free agent cap. Wishful thinking.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know what you were getting at Rice, but I think if he doesn't get free agency before the new cap I think he is going to take up the vast majority of whatever team signs him bonus pool.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know what you were getting at Rice, but I think if he doesn't get free agency before the new cap I think he is going to take up the vast majority of whatever team signs him bonus pool.

The other thing he could do is set up an under-the-table deal where he signs with a Mexican team for a couple years until he passes age 23, then he can sign for the big money with no restrictions if I understand the CBA correctly.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The other thing he could do is set up an under-the-table deal where he signs with a Mexican team for a couple years until he passes age 23, then he can sign for the big money with no restrictions if I understand the CBA correctly.
True, but that is an awful lot of ifs involved as opposed to a million plus right now. My guess is he gets free agency right before July 2 and gets a big deal from a team that missed out on Soler.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
True, but that is an awful lot of ifs involved as opposed to a million plus right now. My guess is he gets free agency right before July 2 and gets a big deal from a team that missed out on Soler.

I'm guessing the Cubs at least throw their names into the ring just to drive up the price on someone else. Since the money isn't going towards elite free agents they might as well throw it at some other guy. If they can finagle another $30MM deal over nine years with options and crap it's not going to break the bank.

Of course, if Soler, this guy and Concepcion all fail, then it's wasted money, but nobody ever said baseball was without risk.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am hoping that the Cubs are involved. It sounds like this guy has a lower ceiling and lower floor than Soler. Less power, more speed and the possibility of playing center is basically all the information I've gotten on him. I would love the Cubs to snag him and Rivero to make Peoria Havanna North for the rest of this year, but I am nto counting on it.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Go for it Cubs!

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I'm all in favor of getting more and more young talent. $3-4M per isn't much of a risk, and shouldn't hinder any potential signings over the next couple of winters.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs pursuing Cuban outfield prospect Puig - chicagotribune.com

Cubs are in the Puig sweepstakes apparently, and the amount they spent on Soler isn't believed to keep them out of it. Hard getting information on this guy, but seems like a legit talent. Doesn't have the tools or ceiling of Soler, but what I've heard is better wheels, a chance to stick in CF, and closer to big league ready. Lets go hog wild before the spending limits kick in.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So...
Albert Almora
Brett Jackson
Bryan LaHair :)troll:, he sucks)
Yasiel Puig
Jorge Soler
Matt Szczur

Only 3 can stay :shifty:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So...
Albert Almora
Brett Jackson
Bryan LaHair :)troll:, he sucks)
Yasiel Puig
Jorge Soler
Matt Szczur

Only 3 can stay :shifty:

If 3 of them make it to the big leagues and prove to be productive starters that would be a huge win. I am doubtful the Cubs will have to make a hard choice when the time comes, but it would be nice to be surprised.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
They can also trade a couple of them for something awesome.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
They can also trade a couple of them for something awesome.

It would be awesome if the Cubs could identify the studs and trade the flameouts, but the reality of it is attrition is more likely to solve the glut of OF prospects the Cubs have and are potentially adding to with Almora and Puig.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would be awesome if the Cubs could identify the studs and trade the flameouts, but the reality of it is attrition is more likely to solve the glut of OF prospects the Cubs have and are potentially adding to with Almora and Puig.

I think the trades would be in year three or later of this rebuild plan so by that time I'm guessing they'd know. But that would be more of an ideal. Prospects do fail at a great rate so it'd be nice if Theo and Jed were able to have Hendry-vision and trade guys before they epic fail.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the trades would be in year three or later of this rebuild plan so by that time I'm guessing they'd know. But that would be more of an ideal. Prospects do fail at a great rate so it'd be nice if Theo and Jed were able to have Hendry-vision and trade guys before they epic fail.

I guess that is more what I see as happening, but trading the guys after know what they have usually doesn't lead to getting much useful back, i.e. your trading them because they flopped at the big league level. Again it is nice that the Cubs are getting so many OF prospect, but that doesn't mean the Cubs have an issue with finding spots for these guys yet.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs, White Sox Both Pursuing Yasel Puig

Count the Cubs and White Sox among the teams who are interested in signing Cuban outfielder Yasel Puig, reports Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune. Both franchises have extensive experience with players hailing from Cuba.

The 21-year-old was officially declared a free agent on Tuesday and now has until July 2 to sign with a team to avoid new financial limitations put in place for international players. For the Cubs, signing international free agents out of Cuba is nothing new as the team recently agreed to terms with outfielder Jorge Soler on a nine-year, $30MM deal. On the South Side, the White Sox have a long-term relationship with Puig's agent, Jaime Torres, who has negotiated deals with the team in the past for players such as Jose Contreras and Alexei Ramirez.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Battle time

Status
Not open for further replies.