Cuban outfielder Puig defects Workout for Major League scouts expected this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck you guys! The Sox are going to get him. Lol

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read some Tweets from Kevin Goldstein about how Puig is a good prospect but not as good as Soler. It's very difficult to tell based on 140 characters or less whether that's a true assessment but if true, maybe whoever signs Puig can get him for $20MM or less.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The tweets I read from Goldstein gave the impression that Puig has a lower ceiling than Soler but is closer to being ready. Not sure how much closer and how much lower, but that is what I've gotten from the tweets I've seen.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
you guys really need to start making threads about things like this instead of burying everything in one thread.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
He goes to the Dodgers on a record setting deal. Per MLB.com...

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He still has to be cleared by OFAC. I am not certain if we will see a Soler situation where the Dodger deny it because no one can make a deal. This deal might make Soler look like a steal though.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Best of luck to the Dodgers then :lol:

I thought he had established residency and MLB had declared him a free agent so this wouldn't have to be under-the-table.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is farther along than Soler when the Cubs deal was announced. He still has to be unblocked by OFAC I believe though so he can't sign a deal yet. I think this is probably a done deal. I guess I was just surprised to see a deal done before everything was done for him to be cleared.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dabs has it all correct and the signing will come official in a week or so (I think).

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is farther along than Soler when the Cubs deal was announced. He still has to be unblocked by OFAC I believe though so he can't sign a deal yet. I think this is probably a done deal. I guess I was just surprised to see a deal done before everything was done for him to be cleared.

The agent probably started hammering phones as soon as the free agency was declared. Due to the impending deadline everything had to be fast-tracked so I don't think there's anything illicit going on.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really wasn't say it was illicit. I guess I just figured with how careful MLB was with the Soler deal that the same caution would be used even with this being fast tracked.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really wasn't say it was illicit. I guess I just figured with how careful MLB was with the Soler deal that the same caution would be used even with this being fast tracked.

They knew he was available for about a month now, right? If MLB didn't do its due diligence within that time (as well as the individual teams bidding on him) then I guess baseball isn't capable of multitasking :D

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess I was just surprised is all. I figured there would be another few days before this happened is all.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I am guessing this deal will make Soler look like a steal, but a long ways away from knowing for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.