Cuban outfielder Puig defects Workout for Major League scouts expected this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Might work out better than Concepcion :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The pitcher is >23 so they can pay as much for him as they want with no penalty.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The pitcher is >23 so they can pay as much for him as they want with no penalty.

Right it isn't as pressing, but it is interesting to note the number of Cubans the Cubs have been adding as of late. We were never big players there prior to a year or two ago, and now we seem to be all in.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right it isn't as pressing, but it is interesting to note the number of Cubans the Cubs have been adding as of late. We were never big players there prior to a year or two ago, and now we seem to be all in.

It's probably where they can get the most bang for their buck. The Asian players are locked into their respective leagues unless they are exceptional, and same with the Latin American players. Most of those will be signed before they turn 17 so they will be capped. The Cubans, though, are kind of isolated on their own little island due to the regime and thus whenever some of them are able to leak out, and they ARE exceptional, those will be splurged on especially before July 2. This is just a happy coincidence.

The funny thing is that some of these guys may decide to wait until after they're 23 before they escape Cuba :lol:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Asian players also have to go through that stupid posting process so they'd be much more expensive than a comparable Latin American player.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Asian players also have to go through that stupid posting process so they'd be much more expensive than a comparable Latin American player.

The posting system really only exists for Japan. NPB and MLB have a weird arrangement that goes back about 50 years that created the posting system. As far as I know Korea, Taiwan, China, Australia, etc. have no such system in place.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs Notes: Barney in demand, LaHair to play more OF, and another Cuban OF'er hits the market | Cubs Den
Bottom of this post has a video and some info about the OF.

Same site had an older scouting report on the pitcher Rivero
Rivero was a teammate of Concepcion's and is very much the opposite type of pitcher. He's older, he's a power guy (96 mph), and he projects as a reliever. Some think he has a chance to start because he does have 3 pitches, but his quickest road is through the bullpen. He could start at AA.

Last edited:

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120619&content_id=33556394&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
The latest Cuban prospect expected to hit the market just might be the most coveted young outfielder to leave the island in the last 12 months.

Outfielder Yasel Puig, 21, has defected from Cuba and is in the process of establishing residency in Mexico, the first step to becoming eligible for free agency, his agent Jaime Torres said.

A showcase for Major League scouts is tentatively scheduled for later this week in Mexico City.

"As of Monday morning, I submitted information to Major League Baseball and the Players Association that he has taken up residency in Mexico and will shortly establish legal permanent residency in Mexico," Torres said. "We should have documentation of his legal permanent residency in Mexico soon and as soon as I have that, I will submit it to Major League Baseball and I hope and expect that he will be declared a free agent immediately."

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound Puig is a known commodity in international circles. He played two seasons for Cienfuegos in the island's top league, Cuban National Series (Serie Nacional), and was a member of the country's national team that finished second in the 2011 World Port Tournament in The Netherlands.

"There has not been a player as proven and as young to come to the States from Cuba," Torres said. "It's one thing to come to the United States at 19 or 20 years old with a few at-bats or some experience on a national level but this guy has years of national experience under his belt."

Puig is not as seasoned as fellow Cuban Yoenis Cespedes, a familiar member of Cuba's National team who signed a four-year, $36 million deal with the A's in February, but he has more experience on the country's highest level than outfielder Jorge Soler, who signed a nine-year, $30 million deal with the Cubs last week.

Soler made a name for himself playing for Cuba's Junior National team and in the country's Junior circuit but saw limited action for Havana in Serie Nacional.

"You have heard the other names because Puig was in Cuba and Soler and Cespedes were out of the country, it's that simple," Torres said. "Before Soler got to the Dominican Republic, very few people knew who he was outside of his Junior experience. Puig played in the Serie Nacional and was projected to be the right fielder for the national team for the upcoming years. Scouts know who Puig is."

Puig hit .276 with five home runs during his first campaign with Cienfuegos in 2008-09 and had a breakout year the next season, hitting .330 with 17 home runs and 78 RBI. He did not play for Cienfuegos during the 2011-12 seasons because he was being disciplined, Torres said.

"He's been planning to leave Cuba for more than a year and I am told he has been caught trying to leave Cuba several times," Torres said. "When he left The Netherlands last year, they suspected he was going to defect and he was suspended. He was reinstated to the reserve team for Cienfuegos, basically Triple-A, and then he was caught trying to leave the country again and suspended from the reserve team again."

Puig's value, in addition to his status, is to be determined.

Once he gains residency in Mexico, Major League Baseball can declare him a free agent, but he still must be legally cleared by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control before he can sign a contract.

He must also sign with a Major League club before July 2, or he will be subject to new CBA guidelines that will limit spending on international prospects to $2.9 million per team without penalty.

Soler was declared a free agent June 2 and signed with Chicago nine days later. Cespedes signed with Oakland 19 days after he was declared a free agent.

"We should all be on the same page by July 2nd in order to have the clubs evaluate him and sign a contract before the new rule kicks in," Torres said. "Under the CBA, if the player receives documentation that he has established residency in a third country he will be declared a free agent immediately just like Cespedes. Cespedes supposedly established residency and the next day he was declared a free agent. I expect the same thing to happen with Yasel Puig."

It's already been a busy year for Cuban prospects. In addition to the signings of Cespedes and Soler, pitchers Armando Rivero and Omar Luis Rodriguez, along with Cuban outfielder Henry Urrutia were also declared free agents at the beginning of the month when Soler became available.

Luis Rodriguez, like Puig, must sign before July 2 or be subjected to the new CBA rules.

Puig hit
.330 with 17 home runs and 78 RBI in 2010 but was suspended all of 2011 for trying to defect

has the same agent as Conception(sp?) is expected to get close to what Soler got he is suppose to be more pro ready but still a year or so away from what I read.

Hope we get him Soler could be the chip to get him to come here plus his agent already did a deal with the cubs not to long ago.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/e...tfielder-yasel-puig-defects-seeks-free-agency

link has a pic of him.

Last edited:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also a RP that coming out of Cuba that could be avaible. Read where he throws mid 90's. Has 3 pitches.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I say we go all cuba next year I want to see Cuba in Peoria :troll:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
BaseballAmerica.com: Prospects: International Affairs: Chaos Ensues At Workout For Cuban Outfielder Yasiel Puig
The Mexico City workout was a mess apparently and didn't materialize. There is also some question as to who is representing Puig. Very limited workout is going to take 1 PM today and 10 AM tomorrow in Mexico City. I guess we will see if this actually happens, and what news comes out of it.

I'm guessing the Cubs aren't going to be heavy players with Puig given their splurging on Soler, and I'm guessing Rivero is a higher priority. Wouldn't be surprised if they missed on either.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Residency issues...

Yasel Puig Targeting Free Agency: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Makes you wonder if they'll get this done in time. He has less than a week.

9:55pm: Sanchez provides another pair of updates (via Twitter), reporting that Puig has established residency in Mexico and MLB's investigation of the papers is believed to be complete. An issue with the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is keeping Puig from free agency. It is expected to be resolved by July 2, and possibly even as soon as tomorrow.

Sounding better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.