Am I on drugs?

LonghornBob

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or is our front office?

I have to be missing something.

Here are our weaknesses, as I see them:

1) Physical play from the defense. We don't defend our forwards. We don't punish anyone. We may well fight occasionally but we don't may you PAY for trying to dig the puck out of the corner, and we don't punish you for skating through our zone with your head down. We LET you skate.

2) Giving up our own crease to opposing forwards. We tend to allow the opposition to camp in front of our net. This is related to #1.

3) Goaltending. We have a serious issue with soft goals. Rebounds, bouncing pucks, weak shots from the circle, etc.

4) Two-way play from our forwards. We have one, maybe two guys who play both ways. Hossa does a good job of it and Toews is getting better every year, but most of the rest of of our Top 6 are waiting for you to miss a shot so they can take it the other way and do something that'll get them on Sportscenter.

5) Special teams play. We suck on the power play, and we suck at defending it.

6) Physical play from the forward spot, ESPECIALLY on power plays and in front of the opposition net. We don't have that Ladd or Byflugien anymore. Those were the guys who picked up the trash goals, screened goalies, harassed goalies, etc., and that led to points. Those guys are gone.

SO, that all said, I thought that in free agency and the draft we'd go after the following:

1) A physical Top 4 defenseman with a rocket from the point who could keep opposing forwards away from our goal, beat them to and for the puck in the corners, muscle people off the puck skating across the front of our net, and unleash fury from the point on the power play. A nice slap shot that causes a rebound would be great IF we had someone in front of the paint.

2) Someone to BE THAT GUY standing in front of the paint to grab that rebound and bury it. A 6'2", 215 pound 2-line centerman who could play both ways. We don't need a big goal scorer, just someone who can play both ways, take and give a hit, distribute the puck to our snipers, and work well with the puck in possession or on rebounds, in front of, beside, and behind the net.

3) MAYBE a goalie if we struck out on both of the above.

Well, we didn't do JACK in free agency other than sign Johnny O (who I like fairly well but not as well as his paycheck would suggest) to a Special person contract, and re-sign some scrub depth.

In the draft we needed a salty defenseman with the size and maturity to play now, or a "quick to the show" center, and instead we signed ANOTHER undersized, nifty with the puck, can't hit a lick, wouldn't know defense if it bit him on the ass, fancy-pants winger.

I'm not a negative Nelly, but I'm starting to question what the hell we're doing. ESPECIALLY after this draft.

Can someone tell me what the hell is happening on Madison?

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Yes we have provlems...
It is also June 24th...lets see how free agency goes before we label all our problems

Sent via Tapatalk on Droid RAZR MAXX

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not even July 1st yet. Calm down.

And it doesn't take a high person to notice the Hawks problems. Even casual fans know that half of those things are true.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Not even July 1st yet. Calm down.

And it doesn't take a high person to notice the Hawks problems. Even casual fans know that half of those things are true.

Yep...no doubt we have.problems and are not good enough as constructed to win a cup...way too early to panic

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yup. probably cocaine.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or is our front office?

I have to be missing something.

Here are our weaknesses, as I see them:

1) Physical play from the defense. We don't defend our forwards. We don't punish anyone. We may well fight occasionally but we don't may you PAY for trying to dig the puck out of the corner, and we don't punish you for skating through our zone with your head down. We LET you skate.

2) Giving up our own crease to opposing forwards. We tend to allow the opposition to camp in front of our net. This is related to #1.

3) Goaltending. We have a serious issue with soft goals. Rebounds, bouncing pucks, weak shots from the circle, etc.

4) Two-way play from our forwards. We have one, maybe two guys who play both ways. Hossa does a good job of it and Toews is getting better every year, but most of the rest of of our Top 6 are waiting for you to miss a shot so they can take it the other way and do something that'll get them on Sportscenter.

5) Special teams play. We suck on the power play, and we suck at defending it.

6) Physical play from the forward spot, ESPECIALLY on power plays and in front of the opposition net. We don't have that Ladd or Byflugien anymore. Those were the guys who picked up the trash goals, screened goalies, harassed goalies, etc., and that led to points. Those guys are gone.

SO, that all said, I thought that in free agency and the draft we'd go after the following:

1) A physical Top 4 defenseman with a rocket from the point who could keep opposing forwards away from our goal, beat them to and for the puck in the corners, muscle people off the puck skating across the front of our net, and unleash fury from the point on the power play. A nice slap shot that causes a rebound would be great IF we had someone in front of the paint.

2) Someone to BE THAT GUY standing in front of the paint to grab that rebound and bury it. A 6'2", 215 pound 2-line centerman who could play both ways. We don't need a big goal scorer, just someone who can play both ways, take and give a hit, distribute the puck to our snipers, and work well with the puck in possession or on rebounds, in front of, beside, and behind the net.

3) MAYBE a goalie if we struck out on both of the above.

Well, we didn't do JACK in free agency other than sign Johnny O (who I like fairly well but not as well as his paycheck would suggest) to a Special person contract, and re-sign some scrub depth.

In the draft we needed a salty defenseman with the size and maturity to play now, or a "quick to the show" center, and instead we signed ANOTHER undersized, nifty with the puck, can't hit a lick, wouldn't know defense if it bit him on the ass, fancy-pants winger.

I'm not a negative Nelly, but I'm starting to question what the hell we're doing. ESPECIALLY after this draft.

Can someone tell me what the hell is happening on Madison?

Well said & welcome to the Charmin Soft Hawks.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep...no doubt we have.problems and are not good enough as constructed to win a cup...way too early to panic

You can't expect the Hawks to sign anyone before free agency starts.

Lots of holes to fill (D, 2C, F Depth, G) and I'm hoping Bowman takes care of at least two of those. That's all I'm expecting.

Expect the worst and hope for the best.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
You can't expect the Hawks to sign anyone before free agency starts.

Lots of holes to fill (D, 2C, F Depth, G) and I'm hoping Bowman takes care of at least two of those. That's all I'm expecting.

Expect the worst and hope for the best.

Yea...bowman hasnt done anything to really make us hopeful, but im hoping that Q gets in his ear a bit if he really is getting "his team" this year

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well said & welcome to the Charmin Soft Hawks.

tylerseguin.gif

Not a funny "joke"

LonghornBob

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My problem is mainly that we've KNOWN about these holes since before the trade deadline THIS PAST season and we did nothing to address them, didn't do anything to address them in the draft, and we're talking like we're going to magically grow from within, meaning that AREN'T GOING TO do anything about them.

Scary.

Maybe it's all a ruse and we knock it out of the park.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
My problem is mainly that we've KNOWN about these holes since before the trade deadline THIS PAST season and we did nothing to address them, didn't do anything to address them in the draft, and we're talking like we're going to magically grow from within, meaning that AREN'T GOING TO do anything about them.

Scary.

Maybe it's all a ruse and we knock it out of the park.

How are the hawks supposed to fix these problems with the draft? Anyobe we drafted wouldnt be on the team next year.

Trade deadline was a letdown

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea...bowman hasnt done anything to really make us hopeful, but im hoping that Q gets in his ear a bit if he really is getting "his team" this year

I think it was a Jahns article that had some quotes from Q about the draft and free agency.

Tried to find the link and can't. But basically said that Q was getting into his ear and talking to him.

LonghornBob

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are kids who were selected, Murray, Ceci, who will end up in the big league VERY shortly. After the all-star game possibly, next year almost certainly. We could have traded those two fifths and moved up to take a premier defensman who could end up on Madison sooner rather than later.

If nothing else we could have traded the pick for a top 4 defender. Why get a kid who is listed somewhere (various reports) between 165 and 190?

Hell it looks like we could have ended up with Staal if we'd played our cards right. Maybe that isn't technically drafting someone, but we could have used this draft to help us now.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I think it was a Jahns article that had some quotes from Q about the draft and free agency.

Tried to find the link and can't. But basically said that Q was getting into his ear and talking to him.

Thats encouraging

There are kids who were selected, Murray, Ceci, who will end up in the big league VERY shortly. After the all-star game possibly, next year almost certainly. We could have traded those two fifths and moved up to take a premier defensman who could end up on Madison sooner rather than later.

If nothing else we could have traded the pick for a top 4 defender. Why get a kid who is listed somewhere (various reports) between 165 and 190?

Hell it looks like we could have ended up with Staal if we'd played our cards right. Maybe that isn't technically drafting someone, but we could have used this draft to help us now.

Staal wasnt coming here.. he wanted to play with his brother...

Those kids projected to be on nhl rosters will make teams like toronto, edmobton, etc...slim slim chance they would make the hawks IMO

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Young guys aren't the answer to winning a cup. They are good filler maybe, but not the answer. Need some young players that have actually played in the NHL. Not super old vets like last year.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:

Q's 'ability to get into ears is what resulted in Andrew Brunette getting signed ... I don't think Quenneville is the answer to personnel shortcomings.

... and as was said ... Free Agency starts 1st July. (Although for all I know the statment made may well hold true at that time...

I predict that the big signing will be to sign John Scott again. :troll:

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
If nothing else we could have traded the pick for a top 4 defender.

The answer .... No, if you bother to look at history ... no team seems to have ever done this for a number 18 pick. Number 18 picks are not really in that big of demand.