Sales Schedule Could Mean No All Star Pitching

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be happy if he was selected, but didn't pitch. Being an all-star is more of a title than playing even matters.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Nice avatar Dew.

Sale is pitching great right now. I look at any All-Star game in any league as a "pfft."

If he continues his pitching into late in Sept/Oct who gives a fuck if he misses the game?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sale is going to blow past that 50 inning mark that is typically the danger zone for guys stretching out from a reliever to starter. He is already at 17 innings over, and it shows that the Sox have no interest in really limiting his innings. Not pitching in the All-Star Game would be a bit of a blessing, and hopefully Sale beats the odds.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sale is going to blow past that 50 inning mark that is typically the danger zone for guys stretching out from a reliever to starter. He is already at 17 innings over, and it shows that the Sox have no interest in really limiting his innings. Not pitching in the All-Star Game would be a bit of a blessing, and hopefully Sale beats the odds.

Cooper has never been a believer of limiting innings. And he's one of the best pitching coaches in baseball. I'll trust him.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cooper has never been a believer of limiting innings. And he's one of the best pitching coaches in baseball. I'll trust him.

That's fine. Go with him. I just hope for your guys sake he is right.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Me too. Coop knows what he's doing.

The body of evidence for increasing workloads this dramtically (probably going to be 70 innings over the most pitches he has thrown in college or pros) is pretty damning, but Cooper is a good pitching coach. It will be real interesting to watch if his effectiveness goes down when he reaches 130-150 IPs plus, and if he can stay healthy in the following years.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The body of evidence for increasing workloads this dramtically (probably going to be 70 innings over the most pitches he has thrown in college or pros) is pretty damning, but Cooper is a good pitching coach. It will be real interesting to watch if his effectiveness goes down when he reaches 130-150 IPs plus, and if he can stay healthy in the following years.

And this whole limiting innings thing all started when a bad pitching coach ruined Prior. I think it's got more to do with the pitcher and how he feels than having one way to do it for every pitcher.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
And this whole limiting innings thing all started when a bad pitching coach ruined Prior. I think it's got more to do with the pitcher and how he feels than having one way to do it for every pitcher.

That is wrong actually, but whatever ignore it.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is wrong actually, but whatever ignore it.

I'll admit I don't know everything about that situation.

But I do think that I'm right about every pitcher being different. You can't have this one set inning limit and have it apply to all guys.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

But I do think that I'm right about every pitcher being different. You can't have this one set inning limit and have it apply to all guys.

exactly.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Never said that every pitcher is the same, and I have granted some old school pitching coaches like Mazzone and Cooper have had excellent track records in keeping pitchers healthy. I just worry about the track record of particularly relievers being shifted to starters and future injury. Your pitching coach dismiss this concern. He knows more than I do, but I just look at the various examples of guys who had these big jumps and experienced arm injuries down the road. Hopefully Cooper is right for you guys because it would be pretty ugly for the future if he wasn't.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Never said that every pitcher is the same, and I have granted some old school pitching coaches like Mazzone and Cooper have had excellent track records in keeping pitchers healthy. I just worry about the track record of particularly relievers being shifted to starters and future injury. Your pitching coach dismiss this concern. He knows more than I do, but I just look at the various examples of guys who had these big jumps and experienced arm injuries down the road. Hopefully Cooper is right for you guys because it would be pretty ugly for the future if he wasn't.

Do you realize that Sale was drafted to be a starting pitcher? He was a starter in college. He pitched in relief for two years.

It's totally different than a guy who never really had the stuff to be a starter, but developed it while being in the bullpen and he becomes a starter. Sale's situation is different.