Shane Doan has interest in joining the Blackhawks

• Thread starter ChicagoDawg1991
  • Start date

ChicagoDawg1991

via Chris Kuc on Twitter
Shane Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, said not only have #Blackhawks contacted them, but also that Doan has interest in joining Hawks.

Well Shane Doan has been the target of a few teams so far in the free agency and according to this tweet, the longtime Phoenix Coyotes Forward and Captain led his Coyotes to the Western Conference Finals for the first time since they moved from Winnipeg recorded 22 goals and 28 assists, a -8 Rating and 48 PIMs while averaging 19 minutes and 36 seconds of ice time per game. He also had 5 game winning goals with 14 powerplay points(5 G, 9 A)

Could Doan be heading to the Windy City for 2012-13? Everyone seems to think it would be a great idea. What would he bring to the Hawks though? Well 1-He'll bring excellent leadership for some of the younger players on the 20 man roster, 2-Tons of grit as he was 2nd on the team with hits as he was credited with 205, 3-some depth on the right wing side, 4-He does well on the powerplay and 5-He averages almost 20 goals a season.

The Hawks current Right Wingers are Marian Hossa, Jamal Mayers, Viktor Stalberg and Andrew Shaw. If Doan were to be signed by the Hawks the question of who would most likely be sent down to Rockford or perhaps be a scratch for a long time would be a concern but I really think Stan Bowman should go after him.

Overall in his career, the last remaining Coyote to have played for the original Jets has scored 318 times while dishing out 470 assists and compiling 1,071 Penalty Minutes which includes 68 fighting majors(in case anyone is wondering). The only concern that Hawk fans have is that he'll be turning 36 this October, but his production is consistent none the less as he has produced 50 or more points in the last 9 seasons and has scored 20 or more goals in 11 seasons(9 straight from 99-00 til 08-09) all of this coming in 1,198 games played.

I know the past doesn't matter but what does matter is that the Hawks lack another producing forward but with guys like Andrew Shaw, Jimmy Hayes, Ben Smith, Brandon Saad eventually coming up the possibility seems dim. However, it was Team Canada teammate and Hawks Jonathan Toews who said "With a grin, Jonathan Toews said he was lobbying Shane Doan to join the #Blackhawks since he will test market"(via @adamjahns on twitter). Could all this be happening soon? We'll just have to wait and find out

Now Hawk fans I want your opinions on this, SHOULD Shane Doan sign with the Blackhawks? With an answer please give a reason(s) why we should/shouldn't acquire him. Once again, thanks for reading!

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He can :gtfo: and stay away, I don't want anything to do with any coyotes

it doesnt matter what team(s) a player has played for. Are you telling me you wouldnt take the sedins, kessler, dats, zetterberg etc because they are on rivals? that is the dumbest logic I have heard.

Anyway, if this is our "big offseason move" than Stan is a tool.

LonghornBob

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think y'all are missing the key point that if we do indeed sign Doan, Depends and AARP will spend massive dollars sponsoring the Hawks.

Seriously though, dude is going to put up 17 and 24 next year, which we could get out of Shaw or Hayes, and he can't skate with the rest of the team. He'd bring a little more moxey to the front lines but he's too slow to effectively play with the rest of whatever line he's on, he'd hamper the progress of a young guy, and he just wouldn't be worth what it'd take to sign him, unless we were stacked and had filled ALL our other holes and he was just signing with us for a pinch of monkey shit to win a Cup and we used him as depth.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
it doesnt matter what team(s) a player has played for. Are you telling me you wouldnt take the sedins, kessler, dats, zetterberg etc because they are on rivals? that is the dumbest logic I have heard.

well he pisses me off, just like one others you named. I'd take them, b they have to earn my respect and cheers....it want be given right away, it will take time to not hate them is what I mean :tiptoe:

That was also me partially :troll:ing and partially being serious

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Id take him as long as we dont overpay...duh

Doan-Kane-Hossa is a solid #2 line.

Sent via Tapatalk on Droid RAZR MAXX

ChitwnRyan60452

@Chitown_Ryan
Liked Posts:
I don't want any guy who thinks the Rafi Torres hit on Marian Hossa is a "good, clean hockey play"

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
I'm a big fan of Doan. I think he would bring a lot to the team. A steady top 6 left winger. A guy that is going to throw his body around A LOT compared to what the Blackhawks have seen at forward (over 2 hits per game). A leader. Will also help out on the power play.

All about getting him at the right price and right term. Supposedly 11 teams have made an offer (which I can easily see as being true) and there is a reason that most of those teams are Stanley Cup contenders and want Doan.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

I'd take any of them except Dats, because I don't want Joe to be happy.

Bolland wouldn't take the Sedins if you remember that interview :smug2:

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
You take him if the price is right. But for those who think the hawks have to have him for his physical play remember Carcillo is coming back next year. Doan obviously is the better offensive player and can bring the boom in the top 2 lines. But if the figures being thrown out there and having sooo many teams offering I think the price tag will be too much for an old, slowed down vet.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
You take him if the price is right. But for those who think the hawks have to have him for his physical play remember Carcillo is coming back next year. Doan obviously is the better offensive player and can bring the boom in the top 2 lines. But if the figures being thrown out there and having sooo many teams offering I think the price tag will be too much for an old, slowed down vet.

If we got doan, we could have a physical presence in the top 6 without putting carcillo out there :pray:

Carcillo does a good job at his role, but in the bottom 6 is where he belongs, not top 6

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Carcillo kind of sucks. Just sayin.

And Doan might be old, but he hasn't slowed down yet. I think he is worth the risk.

Carcillo doesnt really suck, he isnt signed to score goals and put up points...he is really effective when he plays in the bottom six, but Q had him in the top 6 last year before he injured himself...

Having Doan in the top 6 would make carcillo obsolete up there meaning he could go back down to the 3-4th line where he belongs

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Doan, but the deal being 4 or 5 years long is a bit scary consider that if he retires the cap hit still counts.

LonghornBob

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he'd take a two year deal and we could get rid of Crapcillo I'd do that.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would you need to get rid of Carcillo if Doan came on board? That doesn't make much sense.
Yeah adding a top 6 forward really wouldn't effect Carcillo, who would be regulated to his proper role on a checking or energy line.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he'd take a two year deal and we could get rid of Crapcillo I'd do that.

No idea why they were in a hurry to sign him to a two yr deal.

But then again, we're talking about Blowman here.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
From Jaeckel's latest blog:

As predicted here last week, it sounds as though the Hawks may be trying to black out the sun on the Shane Doan bidding.

I heard late last night that they are in "BIG" on Doan, confirming what I have begun to hear over the last few days. My guess is, not unlike their move on Zach Parise, they are throwing some serious dollars at the Phoenix veteran, probably in the range of an overpay to get his attention.

Further, although this is not always 100% reliable, his agent said yesterday that the Hawks are interested in Doan and vice versa.

Always, however, let the buyer beware with agents, who love to use an unsuspecting media to create straw man interest in their player.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/John-Jaeckel/More-HabsHawks-Hawks-BIG-on-Doan/128/45520

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carcillo kind of sucks. Just sayin.

And Doan might be old, but he hasn't slowed down yet. I think he is worth the risk.

Is it just me that looks at last year and saw a team that was flying high and kicking ass while Carcillo was out there. Then when he knocks himself out for the remainder of the season, the team took a nose dive? I am not saying he is the only reason the team went through struggles, but when he was on the ice Kane, Toews and company were able to fly around and move the puck without a whole lot of worry. He goes down all of the sudden the big hits and cheap shots started happening a bit more frequently to the bigger stars. I know he is not an offensive juggernaut but the guy has an important role on this team. I have seen a lot of hate on this site for the guy when he actually makes this team much better with his presence on the ice. I like Doan and think he would be a good fit for this team. But I really dont wanna put every spare cent this off season on another winger when they need a D-man and 2nd line center. I understand that they will make a deal or two to clear space, and that signing Doan makes Kane the 2nd line center. I dont want Kane as the second center plain and simple.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Is it just me that looks at last year and saw a team that was flying high and kicking ass while Carcillo was out there. Then when he knocks himself out for the remainder of the season, the team took a nose dive? I am not saying he is the only reason the team went through struggles, but when he was on the ice Kane, Toews and company were able to fly around and move the puck without a whole lot of worry. He goes down all of the sudden the big hits and cheap shots started happening a bit more frequently to the bigger stars. I know he is not an offensive juggernaut but the guy has an important role on this team. I have seen a lot of hate on this site for the guy when he actually makes this team much better with his presence on the ice. I like Doan and think he would be a good fit for this team. But I really dont wanna put every spare cent this off season on another winger when they need a D-man and 2nd line center. I understand that they will make a deal or two to clear space, and that signing Doan makes Kane the 2nd line center. I dont want Kane as the second center plain and simple.

Think it is more of a coincidence as to when they started to slip...