Cubs Rumor Mill: On to the waiver wire

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well there is this thing you might have heard of called 10-5 rights...

I think most of the teams who would be interested are also in contention, but naturally that doesn't mean anything.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
is there any reports of him being picky too? imo it seems he would go to a contender

Sent from my Fischs grocery store using Tapatalk

Yes and no. He said he would go to a contender, but he supposedly shot down a trade to Baltimore in the offseason. So like Dempster we won't know til it happens.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
they would be getting mr fire and passion and grindiness and stuffz

Sent from my Fischs grocery store using Tapatalk

Yes he is overloved by some for that, but he is a nice complementary player. He would be a real nice platoon player with Boesch for Detroit. Of course we are going to get a guy that might be a decent reliever at best for him.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Multiple reports (MLBTR and elsewhere) suggest the Rangers and Dodgers may look to upgrade, and it might not involve Dempster or Garza. James Shields and Greinke are the most likely names. Some have suggested Cliff Lee is movable but that really makes no sense given his contract situation.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bruce Levine on the guys most of us want gone:
the Cubs would like to trade Geovany Soto now if they got the right offer, and Bruce says the Angels have been watching;
no interest in Carlos Marmol or Alfonso Soriano right now (Bruce mentions one team calling with peripheral interest last week, but they didn’t want to take on any of his salary – perhaps that’s the “one team” Morosi referenced);

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
where are the Rays on Soto??

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Bruce Levine on the guys most of us want gone:

And yet, there were reports that the Marlins are now getting interest for Carlos Lee... How is it possible that Lee might be traded TWICE, and no one will take Soriano and like all bu $5-6M of his salary? It makes 0 sense.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
And yet, there were reports that the Marlins are now getting interest for Carlos Lee... How is it possible that Lee might be traded TWICE, and no one will take Soriano and like all bu $5-6M of his salary? It makes 0 sense.

I don't get it either. It would seem to make more sense to take a chance on Soriano's knees holding up versus Carlos Lee hitting like it is before 2009, but that seems to be the case.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only thing I can think of is the salary, the two additional years the new team would have to deal with him (even though he could theoretically be released at little expense) and the fact that he's viewed as a DH even though I feel like he'd be able to stand in LF or 1B and it wouldn't make a difference.

That plus the Cubs are probably asking too much, whether it sounds fair on paper or not. They might just show that Soriano is almost all-the-way healthy for a full season and dump him this offseason.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
nightengale stating the cubs really need to be active to be competitive in 2015. if it wasnt for pick rule change it would be 2014. just stating what he is saying on the score right now.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jon Heyman‏@JonHeymanCBS

#cubs proposed dempster-soriano package to #dodgers as alternative to just demp. so far not happening.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is one of the few lefties out there after Wandy and Liriano being gone. I want something to happen.

[video=youtube;XIX0ZDqDljA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIX0ZDqDljA[/video]