Cubs Rumor Mill: On to the waiver wire

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's unlikely that the Cubs will deal either Alfonso Soriano or Carlos Marmol in August, reports Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. "The Cubs say they’re still open to making a move, but they have nothing in the works," Wittenmyer writes. Both players cleared trade waivers last week and Soriano already used his 10-and-5 rights to veto a deal to the Giants before the trade deadline.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dodgers just claimed A-Gon, so let's see what the Red Sox decide to do.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess the White Sox guys already figured that out though :D

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now Josh Beckett has also been claimed on waivers.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
If this Red Sox trade goes through, I think it'll be the biggest trade that Iv'e seen in my life.

It sows the Dodgers have infinity money and i the Red Sox players anywhgere close to their best, the Dodgers will be one of the best teams in the league... easily.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry, I was out getting drunk.

The fact that other players would first have to be put on waivers does complicate things a bunch. The trade might not end up happening just based on the quality of the prospects/pieces that have to be passed through waivers.

And the ridiculous amount of money changing hands :lol:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd love to see this happen.

And then I'd love to laugh when the Dodgers still lose the division to the Giants.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Latest on MLBTR is that Joe Mauer is on waivers but the Red Sox won't claim him. If he passes through to the NL maybe the Dodgers try it, they seem to have money coming out of the wazoo.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I'd love to see this happen.

And then I'd love to laugh when the Dodgers still lose the division to the Giants.

That deal really doesn't help the Dodgers. They get AGon... sure... but they now shoot themselves in the foot with Beckett, Punto, and Crawford. They still need someone to pitch after Kershaw... and they just weakened their pitching staff! The downs and one up, all to get AGon.... kind of a stupid move for now and the long run.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hence why I think the FO needs to quit with the waiver-garbage RPs. We just lost a guy who wasn't doing terrible... so we could pick up a terrible lefty... and DFA him within days!

Maine wasn't terrible...he had a good strikeout rate. But he wasn't superb either. He walked way too many guys and had some kind of bad luck with homers and wildness. I would've preferred to keep Maine than have Hinshaw, but to all this I say "meh" because it really doesn't matter.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano has gone from one of baseball's most overpaid players to one of its most underrated, tweets Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. The Cubs have one day to find a deal for Soriano if they hope to move him this season. Last week it was reported that Theo Epstein & Co. are unlikely to deal him this month.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe the deadline is at 11:59 PM Eastern tomorrow night. Rosters expand on September 1.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
making it that early makes it almost impossible to see a lot of moves by teams tomorrow. oh well