Cubs Rumor Mill: On to the waiver wire

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Discuss all little tid bits regarding rumors

Please make new thread for solid,serious rumors that is more than just a tweet.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

I think that option is a big deal now. Many, including myself, did not like adding on that option when he was signed... though I did like the signing. Now that he's been dominant the past month plus... and has been very good since his first couple of starts (he did not look good coming out of ST, nor did he look ready), that extra year of control may make him more valuable... especially with all of these teams like KC, Boston, Toronto all looking for pieces htey can hold onto beyond this year.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that option is a big deal now. Many, including myself, did not like adding on that option when he was signed... though I did like the signing. Now that he's been dominant the past month plus... and has been very good since his first couple of starts (he did not look good coming out of ST, nor did he look ready), that extra year of control may make him more valuable... especially with all of these teams like KC, Boston, Toronto all looking for pieces htey can hold onto beyond this year.

Out of curiousity why would you hate a club option on any deal?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Latest MLBTR blurb says:

The Giants have "heavily scouted" the Cubs' and Royals' Triple-A teams.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hmm, that is interesting. Perhaps the Cubs are interested in Brandon Belt.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

Makes no sense to get Belt if the Cubs already have Rizzo and Belt isn't exactly the greatest OF in the world either.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Makes no sense to get Belt if the Cubs already have Rizzo and Belt isn't exactly the greatest OF in the world either.

I agree that it is odd, but perhaps the Cubs sense a buy low candidate. I am just trying to understand why a team that is a "buyer" is scouting two "sellers" minor league teams.

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;9jK-NcRmVcw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw[/video]

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree that it is odd, but perhaps the Cubs sense a buy low candidate. I am just trying to understand why a team that is a "buyer" is scouting two "sellers" minor league teams.

How's the Giants' pitching in the minors? Maybe it's a need-for-need swap so the Cubs can stock up pitching.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
To be honest, I don't know much about the Giants system. I am just trying to figure this one out, and I know the Giants have two disgruntled OFs in Schierholtz and Belt. Thought Belt would be the type of player the Cubs would be after especially if LaHair and Soriano got moved.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Out of curiousity why would you hate a club option on any deal?

It was the fact that if his shoulder problems persist... the team would have to pay $500K just to get rid of him. If he didn't pan out after paying him $4.25M due to shoulder issues (which were a real possibility and a reason why most teams avoided signing him)... it turned into $4.75M. Normally, I'm not against team-controlled options as long as they are of a reasonable cost. In this case, I thought it might be more of a risk than necessary. It's not like one good season was going to suddenly put him in the $7-8M+ class... especially not with this upcoming FA class.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

Just because the Giants are scouting the Cubs' AAA team, does not mean the Cubs have shown any interest in making a trade with the Giants. I don't really see anyone in the Giants' system that the Cubs might be looking at. At least not someone that will cost a AAA player. I could see Gary Brown, but I'd seriously doubt the Giants would part with him for someone in Iowa.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just because the Giants are scouting the Cubs' AAA team, does not mean the Cubs have shown any interest in making a trade with the Giants. I don't really see anyone in the Giants' system that the Cubs might be looking at. At least not someone that will cost a AAA player. I could see Gary Brown, but I'd seriously doubt the Giants would part with him for someone in Iowa.

It didn't make sense to me, and Brandon Belt's skillset being unappreciated by SF led me to think of that possibility. I really don't have a read for why the Giants would be scouting Iowa heavily.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Supposedly Pirates and Royals are kicking the tires on Maholm. Article I posted earlier about Pittsburgh suggests not to expect much in terms of an offer from them, and I also question why they would suddenly want him again after letting him go in free agency just a few months ago.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe the Pirates like to piss off other GMs by pretending to be interested.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Detroit doesn't feel like going after Dempster or Garza, apparently they might wait for the Rays to make James Shields available...that's sort of the gist I got from reading the latest MLBTR bullets.

IlliniLou

Liked Posts:
Quick question, when Derrek Lee refused that trade to the Angels and we ended up trading him to ATL, does anyone remember the prospect we were to get from LAA?