Ryan Dempster Trade Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
so many starters are starting to become available. its gonna be a crazy deadline

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
so many starters are starting to become available. its gonna be a crazy deadline

Which is why the last DL stint hurt. Dempster's trade value was best when he was the only worthwhile SP on the market 3-4 weeks ago that wasn't named Garza. Now, there are far superior names hitting the market.. and some really close to it.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
You're the CBA expert, you tell me :lol:

If Dempster declining the qualifying offer nets the team's top unprotected pick AND a sandwich round pick, that is huge. That means whatever he gets back in trade has to be greater in value than what you'd get back with draft picks. Draft picks have a lot of value in a rebuild and especially in this new market developing around the new CBA. So the question is...how likely is Dempster to decline a one year deal at $12MM-ish and go elsewhere, and how likely are teams to blow their wads on a rental knowing that Demp might want to come back to Chicago after the season anyway?

Players traded during their contract years do not net compensation picks regardless of receiving and turning down a qualifying offer. It's the whole reason why the Cubs might be interested in guys like Greinke or Hamels if they get traded this year... but may not be interested if they do not get traded.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Players traded during their contract years do not net compensation picks regardless of receiving and turning down a qualifying offer. It's the whole reason why the Cubs might be interested in guys like Greinke or Hamels if they get traded this year... but may not be interested if they do not get traded.

That is what we are saying though 2Seam. Teams have to offer more than what the Cubs could get for compensation was the point that Mark Shapiro raised in his interview (which I just happen to make the same point a few weeks ago).

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're the CBA expert, you tell me :lol:

If Dempster declining the qualifying offer nets the team's top unprotected pick AND a sandwich round pick, that is huge. That means whatever he gets back in trade has to be greater in value than what you'd get back with draft picks. Draft picks have a lot of value in a rebuild and especially in this new market developing around the new CBA. So the question is...how likely is Dempster to decline a one year deal at $12MM-ish and go elsewhere, and how likely are teams to blow their wads on a rental knowing that Demp might want to come back to Chicago after the season anyway?
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/the-new-draft-pick-compensation-system.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

MLBTR is now confirming what I original thought about compensation. Teams no longer get the pick that the team signing the qualifying free agent loses. Instead that pick just disappears. So compensation is just the one pick following tradeable competitive balance picks and before the second round.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Heyman's latest tweet is that the Cubs have begun naming their price for Dempster, and that other talks on starters hasn't reached that point. Looks like if teams want an arm right now it is Dempster.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/the-new-draft-pick-compensation-system.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

MLBTR is now confirming what I original thought about compensation. Teams no longer get the pick that the team signing the qualifying free agent loses. Instead that pick just disappears. So compensation is just the one pick following tradeable competitive balance picks and before the second round.

That helps. Then that means the Cubs are right in trying to shop Dempster because of the disappearing pick trick.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah that certainly changes the calculus on the trade, but I think it is valid to still point to that one compensation pick as of something of value if teams try to lowball you like has been suggested.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
How do those tradeable draft picks work again?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess reading the article woukd have been helpful :D

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
How do those tradeable draft picks work again?
Article does a good job of explaining it, but basically there are two sets of six picks. I forget the exact way teams qualify, but I guess the Tigers are in the mix for the ones at the second round. I believe tomorrow is when they announce the teams that won each of these picks. They are tradeable until the end of the season.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Olney is tweeting that the Dodgers are the perceived front runners but the Cubs "are going through process"

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So Turner is getting lit up by LAA right now, and the Dodgers placed Billingsley on the DL...
[video=youtube;tfslY_AvhLw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfslY_AvhLw[/video]

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
So Turner is getting lit up by LAA right now, and the Dodgers placed Billingsley on the DL...
[video=youtube;tfslY_AvhLw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfslY_AvhLw[/video]

I doubt the Cubs get Turner anyway, but the Dodgers continue to be the favorites for Dempster it seems.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I doubt the Cubs get Turner anyway, but the Dodgers continue to be the favorites for Dempster it seems.

For Dempster? Not a chance, but Turner laying egg certainly makes the Tigers more desperate for starting pitching now. And as we've talked about desperate teams make bad moves.

And I think the Dombrownski-Leyland connection is enough to get Dempster to agree to spend a few months in Detroit if they put the best offer.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
For Dempster? Not a chance, but Turner laying egg certainly makes the Tigers more desperate for starting pitching now. And as we've talked about desperate teams make bad moves.

And I think the Dombrownski-Leyland connection is enough to get Dempster to agree to spend a few months in Detroit if they put the best offer.

How about we go absolutely nuts and say Dempster + Garza + Barney for Detroit's entire farm? :D

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
How about we go absolutely nuts and say Dempster + Garza + Barney for Detroit's entire farm? :D
The arms and Castellanos would certainly be awesome, but not likely realistic. However, the odds of Detroit maybe parting with a guy like Casey Crosby might have gone up a tick with this outing from Turner.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The arms and Castellanos would certainly be awesome, but not likely realistic. However, the odds of Detroit maybe parting with a guy like Casey Crosby might have gone up a tick with this outing from Turner.

Even Verlander has his bad days. I see what you be saying though. I'm more interested in whether Detroit's "avoid the shutout" streak continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.