Ryan Dempster Trade Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even Verlander has his bad days. I see what you be saying though. I'm more interested in whether Detroit's "avoid the shutout" streak continues.
I don't think they are going to part with Castellanos or Turner after tonight, but an outing like this definitely turns up the pressure to get a veteran to stabilize that rotation. We will see I guess. So tired of waiting for trades...

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
MLBTR just summarized the tweets etc. with the Dodgers and Braves being the frontrunners for Dempster.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
MLBTR just summarized the tweets etc. with the Dodgers and Braves being the frontrunners for Dempster.

and also stating that he pretty much has a list of teams he is willing to go to. It was too good to be true that he would just let the cubs trade him to whoever.

also that is crazy talk to think that lahair and demp for lee would work.

since may 30 heres the great lahairs numbers

237/295/ 4hrs/ 677 ops

Im sure if I can see those numbers the dodgers can too. the league adjusted fast and he couldnt adjust back, theres a reason he is a career minor leaguer.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they're pretty much interested in Dempster straight up. It helps that most of the teams that are interested are contenders and that Dempster has said he prefers to go to a contender (well, duh). So nothing has really changed. Using LaHair as a throw-in might be a deal-breaker since he's in a slump, but I could see that happening if the other team asked about him and he wasn't foisted on them by the Cubs. That'd be one misinformed GM though.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys must not be familar with Ned Colletti who was willing to give up legitimate prospects for Carlos Lee...

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dodgers pen blew lead for Stephen Fife in fine ML debut. Former Red Sox prospect could be included in a Dempster to L.A. deal.

-Paul Sullivan

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah Fife would make a lot of sense being a guy (theoism) drafted in Boston, and would be able to step into the rotation now.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Phil Rogers
The starting pitching market is up and running this morning, with the Braves reeling from a bad start by Jair Jurrjens and the Tigers digging out from under the bullpen damage caused by Jacob Turner's abbreviated start. Both of those are Ryan Dempster teams. It's going to be interesting to see if the Cubs can get their asking price for Dempster given the lack of compensation for free agents in the new CBA. Lots of executives believe that will affect the price paid by buyers, and Dempster could be a test case. The Cubs want to move him sooner, rather than later, so they can then focus on Matt Garza but no one really knows whether they're going to get the attractive offer they want.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
More from Phil Rogers mention the specific stuff I talked about earlier:
One thing to factor into the Ryan Dempster/Matt Garza talks between the Cubs and Tigers: Detroit could be awarded an extra draft pick in the first-ever competitive balance lottery, which will be held this afternoon in New York. Teams are able to trade those picks, and the Cubs are committed to building a foundation through the draft. Theo Epstein would view a pick between the first- and second-rounds as a significant value, so the Cubs are sure to be watching that lottery closely, even though they aren't included. It was a quirk that allowed the high-payroll Tigers to be included alongside baseball's have-not teams (the Tigers received some revenue sharing money last year), and that quirk could eventually lead to a trade. The picks from the lottery can be dealt as soon as tomorrow.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to Johnathan Mayo the picks will be revealed today at 1:45.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
and also stating that he pretty much has a list of teams he is willing to go to. It was too good to be true that he would just let the cubs trade him to whoever.

also that is crazy talk to think that lahair and demp for lee would work.

since may 30 heres the great lahairs numbers

237/295/ 4hrs/ 677 ops

Im sure if I can see those numbers the dodgers can too. the league adjusted fast and he couldnt adjust back, theres a reason he is a career minor leaguer.

Pitcher with best ERA in baseball right now and an average first baseman with some pop in the MLB isn't enough for a guy ranked #62 on top prospects lists?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's struggling very bad too and his stats in the minors, don't look brilliant.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
My theory is that something happens in the 24 hours following the announcement of the draft picks. I think those pieces might come into play with what a number of contenders can offer with teams like Detroit in line for a pick.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Friday. Thursday would be my guess is when he will be traded.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he should just pack up and start cheering for the dodgers tonight. i think its pretty much inevitable he goes there.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Very likely could be the case, but I don't really think Dempster's list is so prohibitive that the Dodgers would be the only landing spot for him. I guess we will find out soon, at least I hope because I'm tired of debating about what his value is in this market that none of us know how it will shake out.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
BN now saying Dodgers interest has cooled, not front-runners anymore, probably because we want Lee.

Status
Not open for further replies.