Chris Sale for Cy Young

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really like the formula for Cy Young Points or whatever it was. I didn't know about that until I did some research for this.

It's not 100% accurate, but I think it's a pretty good way to see who the guys are that are going to be in the hunt at any point in the season.

There's no reason Sale shouldn't be in the discussion. Price had a really good outing today against the Tigers, and Verlander is good of course. But I think Sale has been in the same ranks as those guys so far this year. No reason he shouldn't be talked about or possibly even get it depending on what he does in the second half.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The last seven words in your post is the important part TCF.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The last seven words in your post is the important part TCF.

Obviously. And the article wasn't really claiming him Cy Young or anything. It was just making a case for him at this point in the season.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wasn't disputing he should be in the conversation at this point, but I don't think I am wrong for holding out judgement until he does something that he hasn't ever done before in his career.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wasn't disputing he should be in the conversation at this point, but I don't think I am wrong for holding out judgement until he does something that he hasn't ever done before in his career.

This is hilarious.

Players do things that they've never done in their career all the time. He's young and obviously is improved from last year. He can handle the innings because he handled about 120 when he was in worse shape.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is hilarious.

Players do things that they've never done in their career all the time. He's young and obviously is improved from last year. He can handle the innings because he handled about 120 when he was in worse shape.

You are right. No pitcher ever has wore down after going well past their career high in innings.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are right. No pitcher ever has wore down after going well past their career high in innings.

Not saying that it's never happened. But the Sox have already said they won't really slow him down. And that article you posted mentioned that he's in better shape than he's ever been before.

And he's done 120 innings when out of shape. He'll only end up getting maybe 200-210 innings this year if that. Sorry, I disagree.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not saying that it's never happened. But the Sox have already said they won't really slow him down. And that article you posted mentioned that he's in better shape than he's ever been before.

And he's done 120 innings when out of shape. He'll only end up getting maybe 200-210 innings this year if that. Sorry, I disagree.

He could be fine or he could experience a period of dead arm. That is the only point I was raising. Perhaps he pitches fine and if he does he is certainly in the running for the Cy Young. But I will wait to see that before I guarantee that he will pitch as effectively throughout a 200 plus inning season that a guy like Verlander or Price has already done multiple times.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He could be fine or he could experience a period of dead arm. That is the only point I was raising. Perhaps he pitches fine and if he does he is certainly in the running for the Cy Young. But I will wait to see that before I guarantee that he will pitch as effectively throughout a 200 plus inning season that a guy like Verlander or Price has already done multiple times.

Okay. That's fine. Like I said, I just disagree.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay. That's fine. Like I said, I just disagree.
I understand, and I already admit that I ultra paranoid about young arms after what my organization has done to them. White Sox have had a much better track record, but again I just think this is something that we won't know until it happens.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sale has been a beast this year but unless Verlander implodes in the second half he's gonna win the Cy Young again.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I understand, and I already admit that I ultra paranoid about young arms after what my organization has done to them. White Sox have had a much better track record, but again I just think this is something that we won't know until it happens.

And I just trust Cooper and trust that he knows what he's doing and will help keep Sale healthy throughout the year and into the playoffs, if the Sox make it.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sale has been a beast this year but unless Verlander implodes in the second half he's gonna win the Cy Young again.

Which is stupid. The only reason that he would win over the other three guys is because he won last year.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you're saying that it's smart to claim a guy the Cy Young winner because he won it the year before?

I was trying to be snarky, but yes the implication is that the voters don't always get the Cy Young award right.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was trying to be snarky, but yes the implication is that the voters don't always get the Cy Young award right.

That's true. Got it.

Because it's really dumb that people can't get over last year Verlander and look at just this year Verlander.