How good is Anthony Rizzo?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This may seem like a stupid thread but I am a younger baseball fan and I don't have the same experience level or knowledge of some of you.

So I need to ask how good is Anthony Rizzo?

I know it is early, but if you had to give and opinion.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Basically it is still way too early to tell anything for certain. There are some positives and some negatives that I have seen. Positives has been that he has been doing a better job of putting the bat on the ball than I thought he would and he is using all fields. He has shown more power to the opposite field than I thought, and he can pull the ball a long way. He also looks real smooth at 1B. The biggest negative is that he has expanded the zone a number of times in at bats. Bottomline is that we won't know what Rizzo is for a few years more than likely. He is four to six years away from his physical peak and so it is hard to say what we will get at that point in his career (good or bad).

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yep. pretty much that.

advice to windycity: dont follow the hype (that goes for any spec) this city is full of hype with every team in town. let the kids play and see where they end up. tv and radio can really brainwash young minds and the casual fans.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Way too early to know how good he can be. He has only been in the majors for a total of three weeks. Early signs look really good, but you need to give it at least the rest of this year and likely all of next year before you have an idea. At the moment, the pitchers are still trying to figure him out. Once they do, he will need to make his own adjustments.

But again, early signs are encouraging.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea to early but he has been impressive so far. As Anno said, it will come down to when League makes adjustments does he make adjustments

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This may seem like a stupid thread but I am a younger baseball fan and I don't have the same experience level or knowledge of some of you.

So I need to ask how good is Anthony Rizzo?

I know it is early, but if you had to give and opinion.

Experience doesn't equal knowledge. Experience means nothing in today's game.

As far as Rizzo, he's played really well. He needs to walk more, but I think that will come, as evidenced in the minors.

whitesoxman77

Jr. White Sox GM
Donator
Liked Posts:
As far as Rizzo, he's played really well. He needs to walk more, but I think that will come, as evidenced in the minors.

Can you clarify? For example I have experience maybe 3 Fire games in person and maybe watched part of like 10 matches the past two years. I would say due to my lack of experience with the game that I don't have half as much knowledge as say Jntg4 or Firefan. The more you experience the more you know IMO.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can you clarify? For example I have experience maybe 3 Fire games in person and maybe watched part of like 10 matches the past two years. I would say due to my lack of experience with the game that I don't have half as much knowledge as say Jntg4 or Firefan. The more you experience the more you know IMO.

In that case, yes. But it's not a guarantee. Experience does not correlate to knowledge. Specifically playing experience. I don't care how many years of college/minor league/pro ball you've played. I don't care if you've never been to a game. I don't care about any of that. It doesn't equal knowledge. You can obtain knowledge without experience and generally experience give those with it a false sense of knowledge. If you can turn a double play, it doesn't mean you know where to bat Darwin Barney in a line up.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rizzo is very hyped. And fans that don't really know who he is and where he's been and stuff shouldn't help form that hype. Not saying any of you are, but that shouldn't happen.

The Cubs are very lucky to have a young 1B like him. Something big I've learned in my studies of prospects in the past couple years is that in order to have a good 1B prospect he has to be basically perfect at the plate. Doesn't come around often.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In that case, yes. But it's not a guarantee. Experience does not correlate to knowledge. Specifically playing experience. I don't care how many years of college/minor league/pro ball you've played. I don't care if you've never been to a game. I don't care about any of that. It doesn't equal knowledge. You can obtain knowledge without experience and generally experience give those with it a false sense of knowledge. If you can turn a double play, it doesn't mean you know where to bat Darwin Barney in a line up.

wow. such insight, tell me more. :rolleyes:

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

As opposed to someone who has no experience with the game of baseball at all, claims to know everything because faulty stats tell him so, yet doesn't even know the new CBA regulations before bringing up the old ones in terms of the values of keeping Dempster around to get "two picks" in next year's draft.

Experience means so little, that it's typically the factor that makes one player far more valuable than a younger, lesser experienced player of equal skills and talent. Experience means so little, that we're talking about trading away a veteran pitcher that has, at best, 3 years left in his arm for possibly 2 inexperienced pitchers with potentially greater upside.

Sure, some inexperienced people manage to compile useable and worthwhile knowledge. However, it's rare... sense it's usually the obtaining of experience that forges the skills... not what you may have learned from book, website, or lesser league. Even in those rare cases, short-term experience usually fills in the blanks not learned...or even mentioned... in previous means of knowledge acquisition.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Captain Oblivious at his best.

LOL! Ive missed his horrible baseball knowledge. He lowers users baseball IQs by posting his non-sense.

Soto is a beast, Randy Wells is good, Soriano is good because of Range Factor etc etc.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well technically Bill James, Keith Law, Theo. None of them have baseball backgrounds. They're just smart. But I'm pretty sure they at least knew baseball before they became famous in the game. Not 100% on that though.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
wow. such insight, tell me more. :rolleyes:

Ditto.

As opposed to someone who has no experience with the game of baseball at all, claims to know everything because faulty stats tell him so, yet doesn't even know the new CBA regulations before bringing up the old ones in terms of the values of keeping Dempster around to get "two picks" in next year's draft.

Experience means so little, that it's typically the factor that makes one player far more valuable than a younger, lesser experienced player of equal skills and talent. Experience means so little, that we're talking about trading away a veteran pitcher that has, at best, 3 years left in his arm for possibly 2 inexperienced pitchers with potentially greater upside.

Sure, some inexperienced people manage to compile useable and worthwhile knowledge. However, it's rare... sense it's usually the obtaining of experience that forges the skills... not what you may have learned from book, website, or lesser league. Even in those rare cases, short-term experience usually fills in the blanks not learned...or even mentioned... in previous means of knowledge acquisition.

I've played and I umpire. I know the rules of the game a lot better than you do, I guarantee you that. Excuse me for not being fluent in the CBA, I didn't know that was directly related to not knowing baseball.

We aren't talking about experience in the game. If you would read, you would see that. Experience doesn't equal knowledge. That is my point.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ditto.

I've played and I umpire. I know the rules of the game a lot better than you do, I guarantee you that. Excuse me for not being fluent in the CBA, I didn't know that was directly related to not knowing baseball.

We aren't talking about experience in the game. If you would read, you would see that. Experience doesn't equal knowledge. That is my point.

you have played and umpired? awesome! did you tell the little 9 year old catcher he is going to be a beast like soto someday? please keep sharing your wisdom with us, please.

Sent from my Fischs grocery store using Tapatalk

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

:obama:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL! Ive missed his horrible baseball knowledge. He lowers users baseball IQs by posting his non-sense.

Soto is a beast, Randy Wells is good, Soriano is good because of Range Factor etc etc.

I admit I was wrong about Randy Wells.

Soto was a beast in 2010. Which is all I ever said. Which he was. Of C's with 300 PA's: 3rd in OBP, 1st in SLG, 1st in OPS, 1st in wOBA, 2nd in ISO, & 1st in LD%. Please show me a better OFFENSIVE catcher in THAT YEAR.

Oh, as far as Soriano. Defensive stats are still not that great, using what I had/have available, I made an educated opinion. Excuse me for not using my eyes. I forgot that the eyes saw everything.