Liked Posts:
Anyone fill me in on Blair Walters?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
White Sox Acquire Brett Myers

By Zach Links [July 21 at 2:12pm CST]

The White Sox have acquired Brett Myers from the Astros, a source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Houston announced that they will receive right-hander Matt Heidenreich, left-hander Blair Walters, and a player to be named later for the pitcher. The Astros will also send cash to Chicago, according to the White Sox.

The White Sox are on the hook for just $1MM of the $4.45MM still owed to Myers this year, according to Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com (via Twitter). Chicago also received money to go towards Myers' salary or possible buyout for next sesaon.

Myers, 31, has a $10MM option for 2013 that will vest if he finishes 45 games and doesn't end the season on the disabled list. To date, the closer has finished 29 games with 35 appearances in total. Rosenthal notes (via Twitter) that Myers has a $500K bonus in his contract for being traded, but it's not yet known which team will pick up the tab.

Myers has been linked to a handful of clubs recently including the Cardinals and the Mets but the White Sox weren't among the teams rumored to be interested. The right-hander has posted a 3.52 ERA with 5.9 K/9 and 1.8 BB/9 for the Astros this season.

Astros GM Jeff Luhnow has extremely busy this week, having just completed a ten-player swap with the Blue Jays. That deal brought six players to Houston including four minor leaguers and a player to be named later. In total, Luhnow has replenished the Houston farm system with eight prospects through these two deals.

Heidenreich, 21, has a 3.95 ERA with 5.7 K/9 and 1.5 BB/9 in 18 Single-A and Double-A starts this year. Houston announced that the former fourth-round pick in the 2009 draft will be assigned to Double-A Corpus Christi.

Walters, 22, has split time between Single-A and Advanced-A this year, posting a 3.96 ERA with 8.6 K/9 and 2.0 BB/9. Prior to this season, Baseball America had the left-hander ranked as the No. 26 prospect in the White Sox organization.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
#26 with decent numbers. Im good with the move. Another no cost one for us

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Love the trade. KW actually making the moves that it takes to win right now. That's good to see.

If he goes and gets a starter, this is probably one of the best years for him in a long time when it comes to in season pickups.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
i do like this trade for CHW alot. Gets them vet RP for back end and gave up some low minor leaguers. Will help them stay in race for atleast another 2 weeks :p.. really i see CHW staying in race for while but DET just better

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i do like this trade for CHW alot. Gets them vet RP for back end and gave up some low minor leaguers. Will help them stay in race for atleast another 2 weeks :p.. really i see CHW staying in race for while but DET just better

I could see that happening, but if the White Sox get a legit SP I'd take the Sox.

I said something earlier that losing first place could be either really good or really bad for the White Sox. They could either never really gain a good lead back because it's just too hard to catch back up with Detroit, or they could take a look at themselves and realize what they're doing wrong and fix it. I'm not sure how they'll respond, but I hope it's the latter.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Myers closing now? Now time for Kenny to land a starter.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
I could see that happening, but if the White Sox get a legit SP I'd take the Sox.

I said something earlier that losing first place could be either really good or really bad for the White Sox. They could either never really gain a good lead back because it's just too hard to catch back up with Detroit, or they could take a look at themselves and realize what they're doing wrong and fix it. I'm not sure how they'll respond, but I hope it's the latter.

They're mentally weak. I think they'll be in it and its far from over, but if I had to guess I think they're not going to pass Detroit.