Top 10 Specs?

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I like Zeke DeVoss a lot.

His average is low this year so far .230-.240 but his OPB is up around .360

I'd be interested to see his BAbip though too for the year.

Great speed.

My dream scenario is something of a 1-5 of Szczur (CF) RHB, DeVoss (2B) SHB, Castro (SS) RHB, Rizzo (1B) LHB, Soler (RF) RHB. Excellent speed in the 103 spots with a possibility of 80-100 SB, good contact, and both Szczur and DeVoss have shown an ability to work counts and take walks. Castro is showing developing power, and both Rizzo and Soler should be power beasts.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
My dream scenario is something of a 1-5 of Szczur (CF) RHB, DeVoss (2B) SHB, Castro (SS) RHB, Rizzo (1B) LHB, Soler (RF) RHB. Excellent speed in the 103 spots with a possibility of 80-100 SB, good contact, and both Szczur and DeVoss have shown an ability to work counts and take walks. Castro is showing developing power, and both Rizzo and Soler should be power beasts.
If everyone hits their best outcome, the Cubs will have a scary good lineup in a few years, but that is a long shot.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I say fuck DeVoss at 2B, hope Baez can stick in MI and put Vitters at 3rd

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Me too, but I worry about a college position player whose main offensive asset is walking. As he moves up through the system guys with better command aren't going to be afraid to pitch to him.

Good points, and it does trouble me that he's only hitting .231 in Peoria right now. But, he has shown an ability to drive the ball to the gap and rack up 2Bs and 3Bs. If he can bring his BA back up, and consistently do so, then I think he'll be a huge part of the long term picture. If not, we do have what's slowly turning out to be a hitting machine in Torreyes at Daytona right now. Also, I wonder if Baez can be moved to 2B if/when Castro is extended long-term (which I'm pretty certain will be this winter).

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good points, and it does trouble me that he's only hitting .231 in Peoria right now. But, he has shown an ability to drive the ball to the gap and rack up 2Bs and 3Bs. If he can bring his BA back up, and consistently do so, then I think he'll be a huge part of the long term picture. If not, we do have what's slowly turning out to be a hitting machine in Torreyes at Daytona right now. Also, I wonder if Baez can be moved to 2B if/when Castro is extended long-term (which I'm pretty certain will be this winter).

I'm pulling hard for DeVoss because I love the combination of speed and plate discipline, but it is a concern to me.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I say fuck DeVoss at 2B, hope Baez can stick in MI and put Vitters at 3rd

Still have to have leadoff types to get on base in front of the mashers. Though, if Szczur continues his development as well as he has... and Baez can be moved to 2B if/when Castro is extended... and Almora rises up through the ranks as quickly as anticipated... then putting Baez at 2B with Vitters panning out at 3B may be the way to go.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I value the pitching higher.

Fair enough. I value talent and potential higher than position. Almora has greater upside than Delgado. You do need positional players to win as well, not just pitching. Plus, I'm not even really sure you can list Delgado as a prospect anymore with 24 MLB starts under his belt.

Pepe Silvia

Where's my mail?
Liked Posts:
I don't know why Vogelbach isn't thought of higher. He is very young and a beast. Is it because we appear to already have our 1B now or what?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know why Vogelbach isn't thought of higher. He is very young and a beast. Is it because we appear to already have our 1B now or what?

Because he is a 1B prospect. Bat has to be flawless to be a great prospect if you can only handle 1B.

Pepe Silvia

Where's my mail?
Liked Posts:
.330/400 11 doubles, 2 triples, and 7 hr in less than a hundred AB's. Also 12 BB/13 K. And his body hasn't even matured yet. I know it's only rookie ball but he looks like he has all the tools to become a serious slugger.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
A good bat is harder to find than a good arm.

Yes, because every team just has loads and loads of pitching depth.... but only one or two good bats....

In reality, both are hard to come by. The well-rounded positional player is just as difficult to find and produce as the well-rounded pitcher. It's equally important to develop either one.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Because he is a 1B prospect. Bat has to be flawless to be a great prospect if you can only handle 1B.

Sad thing is, he's more of a DH prospect than a 1B prospect. That drops his value significantly, especially while with a NL team.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, because every team just has loads and loads of pitching depth.... but only one or two good bats....

In reality, both are hard to come by. The well-rounded positional player is just as difficult to find and produce as the well-rounded pitcher. It's equally important to develop either one.

That's exactly what I said. When you're on, you're on. The well-rounded positional player is harder to come by. Position players are more valuable than pitchers. It's that's simple.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
That's exactly what I said. When you're on, you're on. The well-rounded positional player is harder to come by. Position players are more valuable than pitchers. It's that's simple.

You obviously misjudged the sarcasm in that first line, CO.

No, you said that hitters are more valuable... I said that I take it as a case by case example, and that BOTH are equally valuable. With our current farm system, I'd say the batters are more important. That's where the talent lies outside of a handful of pitchers way deep down in the lower levels. Hopefully this changes with upcoming trades.

And no.... well-rounded players are not harder to come by. There are actually more well-rounded players in the league than well-rounded pitchers. Why do you think the market is almost all about pitching right now, with very little movement (or expected movement) of players? Then again, that's pretty obvious. When average pitchers get paid more than most excellent players... that alone shows the truth to where the value typically lies. However, you do need more positional players than pitchers. Thus, their need is pretty well balanced, and thus equalizes the value overall.

Though, I will make the statement that the rare elite caliber positional player (ARod in his prime, Kemp pre-injury, sober Hamilton) are probably more valuable than the elite class pitchers. That's about the only degree that I would come close to agreeing with you here.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
And starting pitcher only makes a difference in one of every five games as opposed to every game.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

That doesn't mean position players are "harder to come by". One has nothing to do with the other.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
If we acquire Delgado (not sure if still counts as prospect?)

0. Starlin Castro
0. Anthony Rizzo
1. Javier Baez
2. Jorge Soler
3. Albert Almora
4. Randall Delgado
5. Brett Jackson
6. Matthew Szczur
7. Josh Vitters
8. Jeimer Candelario
9. Daniel Vogelbach
10. Pierce Johnson

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A good bat is harder to find than a good arm.

Not really. Just pitching prospects are more likely to die out and are more likely to spruce up out of no where.

You are more likely to see a first round pitching spect fail than a first round hitting spect. But you are more likely to see a late round pitcher become a good prospect than a late round hitter.

I pay little attention to pitching prospects because I believe that TINSTAAPP.

And starting pitcher only makes a difference in one of every five games as opposed to every game.

So? They have a MUCH bigger impact on that game than any of the other 8 position players. It evens out honestly.