Blackhawks Favoring Youth Over Experience

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I agree that I don't want Carcillo in the top 6 again. I'd like to see Saad get a chance, but if it doesn't work then I would be fine with Carcillo there.

I'd take Carcillo and/or Smith on the 4th line over Bollig. I think Shaw and Frolik will be on the third line. Frolik will play on the 3rd line just because of his defense and I think with Shaw on the line it could be okay. I'd like the fourth line to be Smith/Mayers/Carcillo.

I also agree that I have no idea where Kruger fits in on this team. He'll still be up, but I don't see a fit. They might test him at 2C again, but I'm not a big fan of that.

Saad all day long. I don't know how good/bad he's going to be but I certainly want to see him get a chance. What do the Hawks have to lose?

Unless Bollig developed some actual hockey skills in this offseason, I don't see where he belongs on the NHL roster. I still maintain that a 3rd line of Shaw/Bolland/Carcillo would be wonderfully agitating for opponents to play against. But I think Shaw and Carcillo are more likely to be on the 4th line this year, but that 4th line you suggested looks pretty good, too.

Kruger is one big question mark, for sure. In a perfect world he'd jump into the vacant 2C role. But if he's not going to be your 4C, and you've already got a 3C and a 1C ... why not package him in a deal to land that 2C? I feel like his skills aren't being properly utilized on the 4th line.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
And I'm all for signing FAs. My point has been that this year's pool for FAs wasn't very good and Bowman was smart to hold off and wait to get a better player for a better deal next year. All the prices were inflated this year because the players knew that not many guys were out there so there was more competition.

agree

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saad all day long. I don't know how good/bad he's going to be but I certainly want to see him get a chance. What do the Hawks have to lose?

Unless Bollig developed some actual hockey skills in this offseason, I don't see where he belongs on the NHL roster. I still maintain that a 3rd line of Shaw/Bolland/Carcillo would be wonderfully agitating for opponents to play against. But I think Shaw and Carcillo are more likely to be on the 4th line this year, but that 4th line you suggested looks pretty good, too.

Kruger is one big question mark, for sure. In a perfect world he'd jump into the vacant 2C role. But if he's not going to be your 4C, and you've already got a 3C and a 1C ... why not package him in a deal to land that 2C? I feel like his skills aren't being properly utilized on the 4th line.

Yeah. I think Shaw is more of a 3rd liner in my opinion and I think that Frolik/Bolland/Shaw line would be pretty good.

Carcillo can fight just as much and almost as well as Bollig can and at the same time he can score a little and play better hockey overall. I'd like to see the fourth line with him and Mayers. The third spot would be variable, but I personally like Smith.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The FAs are a grey area. A lot of fans will resort to "the market is bad for FAs so Il give Bowman a pass" But lets not forget that there are trades to be had out there and he hasnt done anything to try to obtain a 2C. I really dont want to hear any excuses for him. He needs a 2C and a goalie (which the goalie thing probably wont happen) But not much has been addressed since last season.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The FAs are a grey area. A lot of fans will resort to "the market is bad for FAs so Il give Bowman a pass" But lets not forget that there are trades to be had out there and he hasnt done anything to try to obtain a 2C. I really dont want to hear any excuses for him. He needs a 2C and a goalie (which the goalie thing probably wont happen) But not much has been addressed since last season.

That's also because he believes that Kane can be the 2C. Which I'm willing to give a chance for an entire season.

I'm not giving Bowman a pass or saying that he's a good GM. All I'm saying is that there were like 4 or 5 good FAs this year and two of them signed on one team. The others want/wanted ridiculous amounts of money.

You blame him for overspending one summer and then blame him for doing nothing the next summer. It's a little ridiculous. And I know Luongo trade rumors were out there, but I don't think that was ever realistically going to happen for PR reasons.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's also because he believes that Kane can be the 2C. Which I'm willing to give a chance for an entire season.

I'm not giving Bowman a pass or saying that he's a good GM. All I'm saying is that there were like 4 or 5 good FAs this year and two of them signed on one team. The others want/wanted ridiculous amounts of money.

You blame him for overspending one summer
and then blame him for doing nothing the next summer. It's a little ridiculous. And I know Luongo trade rumors were out there, but I don't think that was ever realistically going to happen for PR reasons.

not really. i only blame him for spending money on guys like brunette who did nothing for this team and was predicted by a few to hit regression. He didnt really go on a binge last summer, he spent money on what most knew where ehh players. last offseason was just filler players to make a roster. Last offseason I was livid with the players he obtained and spent money on.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also think the PR thing for luongo wouldnt do much either way, if it did it would PR better. This is chicago where once an enemy is signed here we embrace them.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
not really. i only blame him for spending money on guys like brunette who did nothing for this team and was predicted by a few to hit regression. He didnt really go on a binge last summer, he spent money on what most knew where ehh players. last offseason was just filler players to make a roster. Last offseason I was livid with the players he obtained and spent money on.

And who was he really gonna get this year? He tried for Parise and Suter, but they had other plans. He tried for Doan, but he's too expensive.

Everything else was...meh.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And who was he really gonna get this year? He tried for Parise and Suter, but they had other plans. He tried for Doan, but he's too expensive.

Everything else was...meh.

I get that, thats why I said fans will focus on the FA market and give a pass, when he could be making trades.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get that, thats why I said fans will focus on the FA market and give a pass, when he could be making trades.

And I think he's probably tried considering there was Luongo talk and lots of people thought Hammer would be traded.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
On my phone but in terms of Olsen being ahead of Brookbank and others, I still don't see it and there are a few big reasons. First off, I think he is the 8th best Dman on the team. Also, he is young and has a future...so instead of playing 10 mins a night in Chicago, he can develop and play 20 mins (in all situations) a night in Rockford. Possibly the biggest reason though is the contract status of Brookbank, Montador, etc vs Olsen. Olsen can pass through waivers freely while those guys cannot. I just see no place for Olsen on this team if all 7 guys I have ahead of him are ready to go.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On my phone but in terms of Olsen being ahead of Brookbank and others, I still don't see it and there are a few big reasons. First off, I think he is the 8th best Dman on the team. Also, he is young and has a future...so instead of playing 10 mins a night in Chicago, he can develop and play 20 mins (in all situations) a night in Rockford. Possibly the biggest reason though is the contract status of Brookbank, Montador, etc vs Olsen. Olsen can pass through waivers freely while those guys cannot. I just see no place for Olsen on this team if all 7 guys I have ahead of him are ready to go.

Olsens small playing time at the nhl level gives him more experience than playing in the AHL with more minutes. The best seasoning for him is at the NHL level.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Olsens small playing time at the nhl level gives him more experience than playing in the AHL with more minutes. The best seasoning for him is at the NHL level.

I disagree. I'd like to see him develop more. Haven't been super impressed with him yet.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:

I disagree with that. It would be like bringing Saad up and sticking him on the 3rd line when he projects to be higher. Olsen needs to play 20 minutes a night in all situations. He just wouldn't get that time and experience at the NHL level and it could even hurt his development. Olsen got exposed towards the end of his NHL experience last year and that wasn't any good for Olsen or the team. There's a reason why Seabrook and Keith did their time in the AHL until they were ready for the show.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree with that. It would be like bringing Saad up and sticking him on the 3rd line when he projects to be higher. Olsen needs to play 20 minutes a night in all situations. He just wouldn't get that time and experience at the NHL level and it could even hurt his development. Olsen got exposed towards the end of his NHL experience last year and that wasn't any good for Olsen or the team. There's a reason why Seabrook and Keith did their time in the AHL until they were ready for the show.

You cannot compare Seabrook and Keiths development to one Dylan Olsens due to the negative enviorment that keith and seabrook would have been in if they were seasoned in the NHL.

I disagree. I'd like to see him develop more. Haven't been super impressed with him yet.

28 games is a bit of a sample size. no?

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
You cannot compare Seabrook and Keiths development to one Dylan Olsens due to the negative enviorment that keith and seabrook would have been in if they were seasoned in the NHL.

My point is that there is a reason Keith/Seabrook were seasoned in the AHL and not the NHL, and it doesn't have to do with how good or bad the team is/was. It is about getting these players the minutes they need to develop. It is about not getting them in over their head. And it is about doing what is best for the player and the team. Olsen should not make the team out of camp and I'm saying this about a prospect I'm pretty high on. The one big negative against Olsen is foot speed and that won't be improved with sitting on the bench in the NHL or getting beaten wide in the NHL.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Sure it's a small sample size, but it's not like he was going to do much better if he had more time.

He wasn't impressive and I'd rather see him get more time in the AHL than get almost no time in the NHL.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
My point is that there is a reason Keith/Seabrook were seasoned in the AHL and not the NHL, and it doesn't have to do with how good or bad the team is/was. It is about getting these players the minutes they need to develop. It is about not getting them in over their head. And it is about doing what is best for the player and the team. Olsen should not make the team out of camp and I'm saying this about a prospect I'm pretty high on. The one big negative against Olsen is foot speed and that won't be improved with sitting on the bench in the NHL or getting beaten wide in the NHL.

At some point, though ... even if it's just for 10-15 minutes a night, you need to throw a prospect into the NHL fire and see if he can take the heat. And with a set No. 1 pairing in Keith and Seabrook taking on the opponents' top line every night ... why not give Olsen a full season with the big club and see if it works?

I know it's not exactly the same scenario, but this worked pretty damn well with Hjalmarsson in 2009-10.

Last edited:

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
At some point, though ... even if it's just for 10-15 minutes a night, you need to throw a prospect into the NHL fire and see if he can take the heat. And with a set No. 1 pairing in Keith and Seabrook taking on the opponents' top line every night ... why not give Olsen a full season with the big club and see if it works?

I know it's not exactly the same scenario, but this worked pretty damn well with Hjalmarsson in 2009-10.

A few reasons why the Blackhawks shouldn't do that with Olsen.

They did it last year and he ended up getting burned wide after teams figured out they could take advantage of him this way. Also, this isn't 2000 - 2007, this team is competing for a Stanley Cup and they can't just toss Olsen in there just to see. They are a win now team and Olsen isn't a top 7 dman on this team when everyone is healthy. The Blackhawks should put out a team every night that gives them the best chance to win and that simply doesn't include Olsen.

I have...

Keith/Seabrook
Oduya/Hjalmarsson
Brookbank/Leddy
Montador

Like I said before, I like Olsen as a prospect but he badly needs to work on his foot work. That is what keeps so many guys down at the AHL level. Beach and Hayes are two guys who probably have the skill set for the NHL (and the size) but they both need to work on their feet - whether it be speed or stability. Troy Brouwer struggled to make it to the NHL after putting up solid numbers in the AHL, and that was because of foot speed. A reason why I like Shaw to stick in the NHL is because he can keep up with the big boys and is solid on his feet.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Disagree....if he can skate more in the AHL and play some PP and PK time it will pay off longer in the long run. If he is with the nhl club we both know Q wont give him a chance on the pk or pp...he will skate 3rd pairing minutes which for a young guy isnt very impactful IMO

Sure, it's worth a chance but if Brookbank beats him out for a spot in camp, id rather see olsen in rockford skating good minutes (especially since it looked like Olsen's biggest weakness last year was his footwork)