1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Is it wrong to call Brookbank, Brokeback Mountain :shrug:

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Montador is better than Brookbank and will be in the third pairing.

I'm not a fan of Olsen in the NHL because as others have mentioned he didn't do well and players could easily take advantage of him. Let him work on it in the AHL and then give him a chance when he's ready and the Hawks really need him like if they trade Hammer.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
if montador is healthy i would rather have him than brookbank all day long. hope he is healthy though

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
You cannot compare Seabrook and Keiths development to one Dylan Olsens due to the negative enviorment that keith and seabrook would have been in if they were seasoned in the NHL.

28 games is a bit of a sample size. no?

My point is that there is a reason Keith/Seabrook were seasoned in the AHL and not the NHL, and it doesn't have to do with how good or bad the team is/was. It is about getting these players the minutes they need to develop. It is about not getting them in over their head. And it is about doing what is best for the player and the team. Olsen should not make the team out of camp and I'm saying this about a prospect I'm pretty high on. The one big negative against Olsen is foot speed and that won't be improved with sitting on the bench in the NHL or getting beaten wide in the NHL.

I don't remember Seabrook getting seasoning in the AHL...and Duncan Keith was pretty awful after the work stoppage (no good reason to shelter him when the team was funny bad anyway--having them learn at NHL speed turned out good).

This is a very different scenario with Olsen. This is not a developmental team.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't remember Seabrook getting seasoning in the AHL...and Duncan Keith was pretty awful after the work stoppage (no good reason to shelter him when the team was funny bad anyway--having them learn at NHL speed turned out good).

This is a very different scenario with Olsen. This is not a developmental team.

you are correct. seabrook played 3 games in the AHL and spent most of his development in the WHL for Lethbridge.

ChicagoDawg1991

I say there's nothing wrong going with youth over seasoned vets in the free agency unless of course you're a team who won the Cup a couple of years ago but the kids we have did pretty well in the time that they played. Just a lot of questions coming in this year that is for sure

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I say there's nothing wrong going with youth over seasoned vets in the free agency unless of course you're a team who won the Cup a couple of years ago but the kids we have did pretty well in the time that they played. Just a lot of questions coming in this year that is for sure

That's the part that'll drive you crazy about having so many young players on the team .... there's really no telling what they're going to be. We could argue it all day long in the forums (and I'm sure it'll happen) but the honest truth is that no one knows until we see it on the ice.

ChicagoDawg1991

Yup. I was impressed with Shaw the most because it seemed like every game he was scoring or giving out a nice assist, Hayes wasn't given that much ice time, Kruger I still can see him as a 15+ goal scorer but he needs to be healthy and not concussed. Olsen seemed pretty decent at that 6th D Man slot but like Hayes, didn't see a lot of ice time. Leddy wasn't all that bad despite being a turnover machine he was a rookie though so lets hope he becomes a super stud next year. Now they all should be getting some decent to serious ice time since we got few slots open and still might be trying to trade Hjalmarsson and even Montador so they could fill those roles but we will have to wait and see

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Basically when you're using a bunch of young guys, you are taking a risk. They're either going to be what you expected, or they're going to bust. Busts happen. Teams that have young guys succeed are usually pretty good teams. It's a big risk though.

Once again I'll make my point. This article isn't referring to the Hawks having half their NHL roster be AHL players. The article is referring to the fact that the Blackhawks are going to use young guys to fill holes either now or in the future because they are confident in their drafting and young guys are cheaper than free agent signings are.

ChicagoDawg1991

exactly what I was thinking. Bowman is very tricky though so we gotta keep an eye on like always. He might be brewing something but who know what he'll do next

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
exactly what I was thinking. Bowman is very tricky though so we gotta keep an eye on like always. He might be brewing something but who know what he'll do next

Just curious where you get this view of him? He isn't Kenny Williams secretive with his moves...he is more like Jim Hendry hit or miss (more miss than hit)

ChicagoDawg1991

basically whenever he makes a move, it'll either be good at first, bad at the end or vice versa. Not really trusting him but meh we got no other choice