Article: Castro's Slump Explained

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is how I see, when the Cubs told him to be more paitent and take a new apprach. He has gone downhill since. The Cubs should have just kept him the way he was.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
More numbers....

Career BA/BABiP per trajectory: LDs .738/.725, FBs .224/.174, GBs .271/.271. (Not really sure how his BABiP can be different than the actual BA here, but whatever.)

Annual BABiP per trajectory:
2010 LDs: .728, 2011: .724, 2012: .721
2010 FBs: .194, 2011: .160, 2012: .177
2010 GBs: .271, 2011: .300, 2012: .223

Annual BABiP: 2010: .346, 2011: .343, 2012: .303.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
This is how I see, when the Cubs told him to be more paitent and take a new apprach. He has gone downhill since. The Cubs should have just kept him the way he was.

Yes, so he an hit .300 with a .325 OBP, 12 HR and 25 SBs..... rather than a potential .280 BA with a .350 OBP, 20 HR and 20 SBs.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The walks would have came with age and the home runs won't change if he walks or doesn't. Now we don't see either from Castro, really.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
The walks would have came with age and the home runs won't change if he walks or doesn't. Now we don't see either from Castro, really.

And yet, if he goes up there and sees more pitches... the odds are in his favor to see a drivable pitch. If he goes up there hacking, the odds are he'll get junk. Sure, he could rack up a ton of singles there... but he would never have very good power numbers. He's not the same sort of beast as Vlad. He doesn't have that sheer power and ability to take a pitch thrown anywhere and hit it 450 feet. Oh, and the walks would have come with age? Then why has he slipped in walks every year that he's been with the big league club? He's gotten older, but the walks have decreased. Why pitch around him if you know he's going to swing at junk?

Sorry, Waldo, but this doesn't make much sense. There's a reason this team actually produced with Perry as the hitting coach... and sucked ass with Rudy as the hitting coach. There's also a reason that the Rangers offense exploded with Rudy gone and Clint Hurdle taking his place. Hurdle preached patience and waiting for your pitch. Perry did the same. Rudy liked to have guys hack and slash their ways to easy outs and Ks. Ever notice that the teams with the best OBPs score the most runs... yet typically carry the same BA as every other team? Ever wonder why that could be? Notice how most of the best hitters in the game also tend to have the highest pitch/PA rates as well?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
And yet, if he goes up there and sees more pitches... the odds are in his favor to see a drivable pitch. If he goes up there hacking, the odds are he'll get junk. Sure, he could rack up a ton of singles there... but he would never have very good power numbers. He's not the same sort of beast as Vlad. He doesn't have that sheer power and ability to take a pitch thrown anywhere and hit it 450 feet. Oh, and the walks would have come with age? Then why has he slipped in walks every year that he's been with the big league club? He's gotten older, but the walks have decreased. Why pitch around him if you know he's going to swing at junk?

Sorry, Waldo, but this doesn't make much sense. There's a reason this team actually produced with Perry as the hitting coach... and sucked ass with Rudy as the hitting coach. There's also a reason that the Rangers offense exploded with Rudy gone and Clint Hurdle taking his place. Hurdle preached patience and waiting for your pitch. Perry did the same. Rudy liked to have guys hack and slash their ways to easy outs and Ks. Ever notice that the teams with the best OBPs score the most runs... yet typically carry the same BA as every other team? Ever wonder why that could be? Notice how most of the best hitters in the game also tend to have the highest pitch/PA rates as well?

Well duh, it's waldo... though I must say he did have two understandable sentences there that time... :thinking:

:troll:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
listening to kasper on the score he mentions that on a good team castro is what he is a 7 hitter. not a 2 or 3. goldstein said something similar a couple months back.

Sent from my USCfans guide to being an uneducated baseball fan using Tapatalk

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
listening to kasper on the score he mentions that on a good team castro is what he is a 7 hitter. not a 2 or 3. goldstein said something similar a couple months back.

Sent from my USCfans guide to being an uneducated baseball fan using Tapatalk

Okay :shrug:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the context is that he's probably a lower-half hitter now, but what some of us hope for is that he grows to become at least an above-average hitting shortstop. Castro has shown signs of that, but the slump is kind of depressing.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the context is that he's probably a lower-half hitter now, but what some of us hope for is that he grows to become at least an above-average hitting shortstop. Castro has shown signs of that, but the slump is kind of depressing.

he is pressing too much IMO. with the team out of it, nows the time to relax and work on your game one would think

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
he is pressing too much IMO. with the team out of it, nows the time to relax and work on your game one would think

They've already dropped him in the order to reduce his number of plate appearances and I'm sure he's getting some input on the side. I'm guessing a lot of the kids are going to get funneled into winter ball and fall league as well. Let him get it out of his system for the remainder of this season.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
They've already dropped him in the order to reduce his number of plate appearances and I'm sure he's getting some input on the side. I'm guessing a lot of the kids are going to get funneled into winter ball and fall league as well. Let him get it out of his system for the remainder of this season.

We can only send 7 players to Fall League though.

I'm not sure what happened to the Advanced Arizona Instructional League or Arizona Parallel League (whichever name you prefer), but I think it folded, lower levels in regular Arizona or Dominican Instructional Leagues.

My guess is a lot of Dominican, Venezuelan, Mexican Pacific, and Roberto Clemente (Puerto Rico) league action... not sure if we have any Australians or not, but they have an affiliated league too.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
That said, they should have gotten a real replacement for the folded Hawaii Winter Baseball.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even if they're not in organized league play they can still work out voluntarily (or be persuaded to by management) in Arizona, just like Samardzija did last year. Either way, they're going to get instruction and stay in shape because I doubt the new front office is just going to let people slack off.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Castro should take the Winter off.

Agree. He worked for almost a year straight his rookie season. Fall League, then a break, then Spring Training, Southern League, Rookie season in MLB, and then went to Dominican League.

Unless you mean he shouldn't do anything, then no, he still has to stay in shape, preferable working at Dominican Academy.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it best that Castro doesn't play organized ball, but just gets continued instruction. He's already played enough baseball at this point :lol: Now to hone some skillz.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
We can only send 7 players to Fall League though.

I'm not sure what happened to the Advanced Arizona Instructional League or Arizona Parallel League (whichever name you prefer), but I think it folded, lower levels in regular Arizona or Dominican Instructional Leagues.

My guess is a lot of Dominican, Venezuelan, Mexican Pacific, and Roberto Clemente (Puerto Rico) league action... not sure if we have any Australians or not, but they have an affiliated league too.

Rowland-Smith is from Sydney. I don't know about any others.