Brett Jackson Strikes Out (a lot)

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's got to be a mechanical or timing issue because he's supposed to have a good eye at the plate. I guess we'll find out as he plugs on.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Hopefully he can figure out how to do this at a much lesser rate.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Notice how the majority of his swinging strikes are against breaking balls... sinkers and sliders in particular? There was a report run on Jackson back in May written up by Rowson himself when he was still the roving minor league hitting instructor. He listed three things. Jackson has issues recognizing faster breaking pitches (sliders and sinkers fit into that category) early enough to realize they are not FBs. The second was that Jackson does not have the bat speed to catch up to FBs up in the zone. Thirdly, Jackson has a tendency to pull his head out of his stance just as he's beginning to swing. This allows for him to take his eyes off the ball... and thus miss the late movement that most AAA and MLB pitchers possess.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Kid K returns!

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Given the strikezone last night I don't feel too bad about the srikeouts last night. It still isn't good.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Interesting read.

I've watched the past 3-4 games, and I know it's early for Jackson, but it's still frustrating. Hopefully he turns this around

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saw his strikeouts today...both times I think he made it to full counts, and I think he did get hosed on a couple borderline calls but that happens to everyone. I guess the encouraging thing is that it takes like 7-10 pitches to strike him out instead of just three :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is going to be painful to watch at times, but we saw some of the upside as well today with the walk and scoring the run easily from first with his speed.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
It is going to be painful to watch at times, but we saw some of the upside as well today with the walk and scoring the run easily from first with his speed.

Well that's just like Campana, you need to consistently get on base to be able to make things happen. K'ing all the time won't allow that.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well that's just like Campana, you need to consistently get on base to be able to make things happen. K'ing all the time won't allow that.

But that is the difference between Campana and BJax though. He has a pretty good idea of the strikezone to walk at a much higher rate. Also he can also punish a pitcher for just laying a pitch in the strikezone unlike Campana. Doesn't mean that BJax will be a good player, but the odds of him being a useful major leaguer a lot higher than Campy.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
As said before I believe that Brett Jackson is a mechanical adjustment and some timing tweaks away from being a badass. That's assuming he can fix these flaws, obviously.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
As said before I believe that Brett Jackson is a mechanical adjustment and some timing tweaks away from being a badass. That's assuming he can fix these flaws, obviously.

I believe so too. I'm optimistic about him, even though my conscience and the past tells me not to be. :lol: