Cubs hire a new scouting director

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/12606/report-cubs-hire-new-scouting-director

Cubs are apparently set to hire Jaron Madison to be the scouting director effectively replacing Tim Wilken. I've been pretty fond of Wilken who gets a lot of undue criticism for draft picks like Simpson that was a combination of the Cubs being cheap with the draft prior to the Ricketts era and bad luck. Madison has been the scouting director in San Deigo and really can't argue with his track record. Many speculated that Wilken would be done after this season, and it appears that Fleita and Bush are the last of the holdovers from the Hendry era.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So is Wilken fired or demoted?

I liked Wilken too, but this sounds like a guy Hoyer knows well enough to ensure this move is good.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I was taking it to mean that Wilken was going to get replaced since he was getting hired for Wilken's position and I was pretty sure Wilken's contract ran through this season. Now Sullivan and Miles are tweeting that Wilken is going to stay and has the respect of the current administration. I like this move a lot as a pure add to the organization.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
No Theo no good :smh:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kaplan is saying that Wilken is being made a special assistant to Theo.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Wow.. So in other words.. our entire front office is pretty stacked now..

Completely different than a few years ago.

Completely different from last year.... nevertheless a few years ago.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
:yeah: Keeping both!

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm glad they kept Wilken and good for him on the promotion. When you think the Cubs are done hiring in the FO, they're now. The payroll isn't big as it was, but Ricketts is paying a lot to the FO.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120810&content_id=36471254&vkey=news_chc&c_id=chc

Muskat describes Wilken's new role. This is what I like about the new FO. They aren't opposed to scouting and Hendry did collect a lot of well respected guys from the scouting side of the game. Wilken provides a different voice from the guys that Theo and Jed have worked with in Boston and SD. Wilken has a good eye for talent and keeping him while adding a guy like Madison is a huge plus.

I like how the article didn't mention Hayden Simpson as one of his first-round signings :D

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120810&content_id=36471254&vkey=news_chc&c_id=chc

Muskat describes Wilken's new role. This is what I like about the new FO. They aren't opposed to scouting and Hendry did collect a lot of well respected guys from the scouting side of the game. Wilken provides a different voice from the guys that Theo and Jed have worked with in Boston and SD. Wilken has a good eye for talent and keeping him while adding a guy like Madison is a huge plus.

I also think Epstein and Hoyer were big on Fleita. He seems to be pretty good at his job in terms of player development. He's gotten some relatively good stuff out of guys that were drafted because they were cheap... not because they were necessarily good.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I like how the article didn't mention Hayden Simpson as one of his first-round signings :D

Yeah, I noticed that too. there's no secret that the ownership at the time wasn't too keen on paying for anything but overhyped MLB FAs that would make the team look more valuable to those interested in purchasing it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ultimately if you look at the best farm systems they spent the most. The Cubs didn't with the White Sox being one of the few teams spending worse. The fact that each team ranks low in terms of first system shouldn't be a surprise. If you look at the talent Wilken has picked though his reputation as a scout shouldn't be questioned, which is why I like his retention with a front office that puts more value on objective analysis.