How will Anthony Rizzo do in 2013?

ChicagoDawg1991

Well folks since a lot of Cub fans are looking towards the future, I think i'll do the same but its about one particular person and that would be 23 year old first baseman Anthony Rizzo. So far in his first and many years as a Cub, he is batting .299 with 9 homeruns and 24 runs batted in with a .346 OBP, .517 SLG, and .863 OPS in 38 games with 147 at bats. Not a bad start for the Parkland, Florida native who was named the NL's Rookie Of The Month for July. During that month, he led all National League rookies in 7 homeruns, 17 RBIs, 32 hits and 55 total bases.

Now what do we expect out of Rizzo in lets say...........next year? Yes i'm getting ahead of myself but like I mentioned, a lot of Cub fans are looking towards the future but i'm just looking ahead for one player. Is it my way of expecting him to do what we all want him to do? Perhaps. I do however see "The Rizzinator" as I call him, hitting at least .280 with 30-100 next year. Do those numbers seem high? Yes but its not like i'm demanding him to pull of those stats otherwise I'd be calling for All-Stars to come here.

Yea getting All-Star players off the market or the deadline have not been kind to us in recent years. Remember Nomar Garciaparra? Another fine example of a pickup that got hurt and didn't comeback to us. Jason Kendall is the other guy who we thought would return to his All-Star form but lasted only 57 games. These examples show on the bad luck we've had in getting top tier players.

Rizzo however is here to stay for a very long time. There is no doubt in the back of my mind, he'll represent the Chicago Cubs in the All-Star game next year along with Starlin Castro(expect him there for more of these). The way hes been playing has been convincing that he's ready to make an impact in the game and the Cubs future hopes of at least one World Title under the Epstein-Hoyer ERA.

Hey as a Chicago fan, I can dream of that can I? With the arrivals of Brett Jackson and Josh Vitters, the future from Iowa organization is coming up probably by the end of the year. Bottom line, I firmly believe Rizzo will succeed in 2013 as every Cub fan should say, but how will he do is obviously up to him and his bat.

I can tell you this much, #44 is going to be a machine that will not stop until he reaches the team's ultimate goal. It won't be this year, maybe not even next year but whenever that time comes, consider it targeted for Rizzination.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a bad writeup. Comparing him to Nomah or Kendall is a little different since each of them had established baseline to expect prior to coming to the Cubs as opposed to Rizzo. The RBI total you threw out there is really hard to predict since a lot depends on how many opportunities will he be given. But 30 HR is a pretty ambitious total. If he can be a .280 hitter with 30 HRs we will be very happy. Whether that happens or not is far too early to tell as Anno indicated.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd be happy if Rizzo became lefty Derrek Lee. If he's even better than that, bonus.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd be happy if Rizzo became lefty Derrek Lee. If he's even better than that, bonus.
What Derrek Lee? Because career Derrek Lee and Cubs Derrek Lee are very different players.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
All-Star starter at 1B over Votto. :cubstroll:

In all seriousness, if he can maintain the numbers he has now, I'd be ecstatic.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was pretty happy with Cubs Derrek Lee although I'm sure most Cubs fans thought he was crap.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was pretty happy with Cubs Derrek Lee although I'm sure most Cubs fans thought he was crap.

Overall for sure because out of no where became a triple crown threat until Rafael Furcal ran into his wrist. But if we are talking career slash line I would be pretty happy, but I would be ecstatic if Rizzo ever approached DLee's 05 season.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have no truly unrealistic expectations. If Rizzo can remain useful that'd be great. If he turns into Mark Grace or Derrek Lee, even better. Of course if he became Stan fucking Musial that'd be best of all :D

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I have no truly unrealistic expectations. If Rizzo can remain useful that'd be great. If he turns into Mark Grace or Derrek Lee, even better. Of course if he became Stan fucking Musial that'd be best of all :D

I'd be happy with .280/.350/.500/.850 25-30HR, 35-40 2B, 180 mix of Runs and RBI, a steal here and there, and solid defense. I think he projects more like Adrian Gonzalez than anything else. They had similar numbers in the minors, and have a similar physical makeup, swing, and approach at the plate. I'll gladly take 10 years of that, if the team can keep hold of him that long.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
He is going to be Anthony Rizzo! 4300 hits, 800+ HR's, 2900 RBI, 16 AS games, 8 MVP's, 15 Gold Gloves and 1 Cy Young. Legendary shit!