Chicago Cubs (44-69) vs. Houston Astros (38-78) 8/13-15 Series Discussion Thread

How many games do the Cubs win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is why I'm not so worried about our defense status at 1B right now. Excellent stretch to keep Castro from picking up another throwing error.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/mlb/gam...nmlb_1&highlight_content_id=23923021&c_id=chc

I wouldn't have been an error anyway. If Rizzo knew he wouldn't be able to catch, he would hav got off the error. Castro had a nice play, he had to rush the throw, could not step into the throw and the baserunner was sliding right into him.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't have been an error anyway. If Rizzo knew he wouldn't be able to catch, he would hav got off the error. Castro had a nice play, he had to rush the throw, could not step into the throw and the baserunner was sliding right into him.

There's always the chance that coming off the bag to get the throw will still result in missing it, but you do have a point. Also, since you can't assume the DP when the 1B comes off the bag, that wouldn't have ruled it an error. Not trying to knock Castro... but praise Rizzo... as I don't think LaHair would have made that catch, and many other 1B around the league would have had issues with it as well.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rizzo is a great defender and is nice to see again. Those few months with not a good defensive first baseman has been tough.

Grace, Lee, Pena and now Rizzo.

Also, it would have only been a error if the runner took 2nd. And with how long that play took, I would be surprise if another Cub player was not there. Clevenger is suppose to be, but I don't know if he was.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Rizzo is a great defender and is nice to see again. Those few months with not a good defensive first baseman has been tough.

Grace, Lee, Pena and now Rizzo.

Also, it would have only been a error if the runner took 2nd. And with how long that play took, I would be surprise if another Cub player was not there. Clevenger is suppose to be, but I don't know if he was.

Another good point, but Clevenger wasn't coming out of his crouch all that quick. Can't tell from the angle, if he was there. Valbuena was moving with the throw toward where it might have gone if Rizzo missed it. Didn't look like Gonzalez was paying much attention to Rizzo catching it, so he may not have run.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Very nice to see Castro starting to show signs of breaking back out. Hitting .269 in the 7 games leading to this one, hit safely in 6 of those games. 3/4 with the HR today. That makes him 10/30 in his past 8 games... or an even .300 BA. 3 Walks to go with it, to give him a .394 OBP. All to go with 1 HR and 3 2B. Hopefully he keeps it going.

Also pleased to see Jackson get 2 hits, both XBH with 3B and 2B. Still had 2 Ks.

I talked about this earlier, but the approach has been pretty good from Castro as of late. There has been a huge jump in walks and hitting for power since the hitting coach swap. This past week we are starting to see what that approach combined with singles falling at a more normal rate for him and that is a .300/.394/.533 slash line.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I talked about this earlier, but the approach has been pretty good from Castro as of late. There has been a huge jump in walks and hitting for power since the hitting coach swap. This past week we are starting to see what that approach combined with singles falling at a more normal rate for him and that is a .300/.394/.533 slash line.

I've been keeping track. He seems to be going to the opposite a lot more over the past 2-3 weeks. In August alone, he's gone to the opposite field in almost 50% of the balls he's put in play. 6 of his last 10 hits have been singles grounded through the hole at second, or lined over the 2B's head. Seems to me he's made an adjustment to counter what's been going on against him. Also, being more patient and forcing more pitches... and more hitter's counts has begun to pay off quite well. When he is typically going up the middle of pulling the ball now, he's putting it into the air. Another sign he's trying to get away from grounding the ball up the middle, which had somewhat been his MO throughout his career to date. Personally, I'm glad to see it... as it'll do nothing but continue his development into a more rounded and formidable hitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.