Will Matt Garza be a Cub next year and possibly beyond that?

ChicagoDawg1991

I for one believe, that doing this would be the right move. As mentioned in a previous thread, the Sox should have pursued Garza if the Cubs were going to trade him before his injury but now, I really believe the Cubs should keep Matt Garza and lock him up for next year and beyond.

Is his 2012 season now in jeopardy with an elbow injury? Absolutely but i'm not talking about now, i'm talking about next year. Why should we keep him? Lets face it, there is NO ONE in the Iowa organization that's even remotely close to being major league ready! His salary at $9.5 Million isn't too bad either unless you aren't a fan of big money contracts.

Garza is not a bad pitcher to keep. In his 2 years in Chicago, he is 15-17 with a 3.52 ERA in 49 games and starts with 31 of them being quality starts. However the Cubs offense has failed the 28 year old Selma, California native many times whenever he threw a strong 6+ innings. Just his pitching has given the Cubs every opportunity to win every time he pitches.

For the future of the Cubs, they need to have a pitcher like that and hence why they should consider KEEPING him. That however is completely up to Cubs General Manager Jed Hoyer but I strongly would consider having Garza on the staff regardless but I really hope Hoyer takes it into consideration

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
His salary will go up next season due to arbitration should the Cubs choose to tender him a contract, which I think they would. Extending him would be contingent on whether he's healthy or not. Spending $12.5MM or more on a pitcher who might not even have a good arm anymore is a fool's errand, so for their sake I hope Garza recovers sooner rather than later and is shipped off so the Cubs can cut their losses.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He should have been dealt. I think the Cubs had too high of an asking price for him.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I would hope so buy it's probably not likely.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Probably here until the deadline.

And nwfisch, high asking price is a good thing.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs were hoping for good years from a bunch of guys so they could rearrange the deck chairs better. Garza's ERA is a bit high but before he got his ill-timed injury he would've been traded for quite a bundle as his peripherals were consistent with last season except that his home run rate went up quite a bit. That's not the front office's fault; that's the baseball gods fucking with us :D

Makes sense to check on his health, negotiate a smaller increase in salary than what he normally would've gotten in arbitration, and then trade him at the deadline for something more than what Dempster brought back (but not too much more).