Chicago Cubs Continue to Skakeup Front Office

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chicago Cubs continue to shakeup their front office. The Cubs just announced they have dismissed Vice President, Player Personnel Oneri Flieta.

Cubs' chairman Tom Ricketts signed Flieta to a 4-year contract extension before the Theo Epstein era began. As that means, Flieta was signed to an extension before Epstein became in charge. A main reason Ricketts signed Flieta to an extension was because the Detroit Tigers were trying to steal him away from the Cubs and would have paid him a higher salary.

The Cubs have been great in Latin America and that's where Flieta made his name from. However, he was not good at player developement and that may be the main reason he was dismissed.

Flieta is a great guy and a well-respected person around the league. I don't think he'll be jobless for long and if the Tigers did have interest in him back in the Winter, I expect them to be his number 1 target.

The front office shakeup started last week as the Cubs promoted Tim Wilken and hired Jarod Madison.

Madison is the new Director of Amateur Scouting and has worked closely with Jed Hoyer and Jason McLeod. Back to their days in the San Diego Padres organization. Madison is a great hire and just shows Theo Epstein is all about adding to the 'dream team' front office.

Wilken received a contract extension on the promotion and his new job is special assistant to Theo Epstein. The promotion for Wilken does come with a pay raise. Epstein likes Wilken's abilities and always wanted to keep him around. I'm glad they kept Wilken as he's a good guy to have in the front office.

Let's see if any more moves happens to the front office

http://www.chicitysports.com/2012/08/15/chicago-cubs-continue-to-shakeup-front-office/

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
:shrug: meh

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Waldo.. this one of yours isn't so great.. You've got some pretty nasty contradictions in there.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Castro and Marmol are really sad about this I guess, saying he was like a father to them

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Mooney says Fleita is one of several employees finding out their fate today

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if any other top names will be gone, but I think it'll be more of minor moves now.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I wonder if any other top names will be gone, but I think it'll be more of minor moves now.

Epstein fired Hoyer and McLeod now... oh shit, bye Ricketts... you've been fired by Epstein too!

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Randy Bush and Wilken seem to be the main holdovers. Some speculation that Jose Serra is perhaps going to have an expanded role, and also hearing that Wasserstrom, the "number" guy Hendry brought in, is also out. Also curious to see if the number guy Ricketts brought in is sticking around or not. Epstein has clearly been given carte blanche over baseball ops if he can fire a guy that Ricketts just give a 4 year extension to.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
And Paul Sullivan answer my question. Ari Kaplan has been fired from his position, but rehired as a consultant.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Interesting news here. Last I had heard, the FO was actually quite high on Fleita. That was months ago, though. I wonder if this means that Wilken moves into Fleita's role... since he's already been replaced with Madison. Then again, McLeod has always been more of a development guy than Wilken, and Wilken as much of a scouting guy and McLeod.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting news here. Last I had heard, the FO was actually quite high on Fleita. That was months ago, though. I wonder if this means that Wilken moves into Fleita's role... since he's already been replaced with Madison. Then again, McLeod has always been more of a development guy than Wilken, and Wilken as much of a scouting guy and McLeod.

I am guessing what other people have said is true, and that is Wilken is going to be involved in scouting just in general for the organization without the focus on amateurs as before. Jose Serra is probably going to take over Fleita's role as leading Latin American scouting and that they will hire a guy to be in charge of player development.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I am guessing what other people have said is true, and that is Wilken is going to be involved in scouting just in general for the organization without the focus on amateurs as before. Jose Serra is probably going to take over Fleita's role as leading Latin American scouting and that they will hire a guy to be in charge of player development.

Just speculation... and trying to put together the puzzle without having any inside information... Serra sounds like a good move. Perhaps Wilken moves into more of an overall scouting role, allowing McLeod to put a focus on development? Wilken and McLeod could coordinate the scouting department to allow this to happen. After all, McLeod's official title is Director of Scouting and Player Development. Making Wilken a Special Assistant to the GM could potentially give him the same kind of power in terms of the scouting department as McLeod.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
And Paul Sullivan answer my question. Ari Kaplan has been fired from his position, but rehired as a consultant.

Probably holds the same position, but not as a full time gig now.