1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Rosenthal:
Sources: #Cubs’ deal w Castro for 6/7 yrs plus club option for another yr. Buy out all 4 years arb and 2 or 3 FA years.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Didn't Soler get 9/30? Castro has to get at least 6/40. I could see a 6/60 with inflation as Rice mentioned.

That's what I'm thinking 6/$60 on a progressive annual rate... and possibly a 7th and 8th year options with buyouts.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I also don't think you'll see it happen until after the end of the month. Kinzler will want to give Castro time to bring his numbers back up some and start to show his slump might finally be over... thus making his monetary value higher.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's what I'm thinking 6/$60 on a progressive annual rate... and possibly a 7th and 8th year options with buyouts.
Given the huge jump in the cost of retaining talent, again this is what the caps on amatuer spending in the CBA was designed to do and why players were on board with it, that would probably save the Cubs a lot of money if Castro puts together the defense, pop, and walk rate we've seen from the past couple of months with the average of the past two seasons.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Breaking news hit last night from CSN David Kaplan that the Chicago Cubs and 22-year SS Starlin Castro are working on a long-term extension. Kaplan, whom we all thought had very bad sources has been right thus far in the Theo era. I think Kaplan did not have good insight when Jim Hendry was in charge, but now we can believe all he says (for now...). Kaplan was later acknowledge by Castro's agent Paul Kinsler that both sides are indeed working a long-term extension. Also, both Jed Hoyer and Theo Epstein spoke on the matter.

Theo Epstein on Starlin Castro and extension talks: (provided by CSN Patrick Mooney)

"It’s something we’d like to get done. I think it would be a good thing for Starlin and for the ballclub."

"You got an extremely talented 22-year-old who to us has proven that he can play shortstop at this level."

"We project the bat to get better and better as he matures into his prime."

“People forget...he’s an age where he’d be appropriate or even young for the level if he was at Double-A right now.”

"It’s the easiest thing in the world to look at a very young player like (Castro) in the big leagues and point out what he can’t do."

Other media outlets also chimed in on the Castro extension talks:

Ken Rosenthal said, "Sources: Cubs deal with Castro will be for 6 or 7 yrs plus club option for another yr. Will buy out all 4 years arb and 2 or 3 FA years." Also, Rosnthal mentioned, "Castro has 4 yrs arb eligibility as a Super Two player. Talks with Cubs continue to progress. Deal could happen early next week or sooner."

Buster Olney also brought up a key essential piece to remember about the negotiations... "since last Fall, the club has a policy of no no-trade causes".

To sum up all the Castro extension talks to date ... the Cubs will wipe out all of Castro's arbitration years and a few years of free agency. Also, the rumors of Castro not being apart of the future can come to end now. Of all the news in the past day or so, I'm more than happy about the rumors ending of Castro not being apart of the future. Those rumors got to me and drove me nuts. A trade involving Castro did not make sense and Epstein/Hoyer are showing they think so too.

Finally, Castro does not want to be apart of the extension talks. He told his agent Paul Kinsler, tell me when the deal is almost completed. Castro also said he wants to be a Cub for life.

I'm more than happy about the news and happy I'll be able to watch Castro for years on. The deal should be done by season's end and can be completed very soon. I just can't wait until the news is announced!

http://www.chicitysports.com/2012/08/17/chicago-cubs-trying-to-lockup-starlin-castro-long-term/

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't really say it's breaking news. They were talking about extension possibilities for Garza, Castro, and Barney over the off season and into ST... even amidst trying to trade Garza.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
It really came out of no where and the Castro extension talks were more of speculation at that time.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
I am in favor of the extension, but I thought they would have waited one more year. But buying out his four years of arb. might be the cheaper way of doing things. I expect the same to happen with Rizzo before he reaches his first year of arb.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
It really came out of no where and the Castro extension talks were more of speculation at that time.

Not really. I mean, we've been talking about the possibility of it happening between the trade deadline and ST on here for months. Perhaps news that it was soon to happen is kind of out of nowhere, but it's no surprise at all. We knew they were going to eventually talk extension with Castro before they went through the arbitration process this winter.

Breaking news would be what;s going on now.... indications that there is a deal in place and agreed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.