Donator
Liked Posts:
Someone who isn't out and about should merge all the Castro threads :D

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Lil bit of both.

good to see him extended, but that seems a bit too much...IMO

If it's a full 7 years and $60M without an option.... Castro got low-balled and Kinzler gave the team a discount. 7-years $60M is $8.57M per... and if he continues to develop and progress as he has... he'll be wroth a good $14-15M per in a couple of years.

As it is, he'd probably get a raise to around $5M this year through arbitration. Another bump to around $8M for 2014. 2015 would probably have him around the $10-11M rate... just in time to hit free agency and start up a bidding war with 5+ teams and get his $14-15M per. Sign him to 4 years at $14M (which would be the remaining length of this extension), you're looking at $56M. Add in the other low0ball arbitration raises... and you're up to 7 years/$79M.

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
If it's a full 7 years and $60M without a option.... Castro got low-balled and Kinzler gave the team a discount.

Full 7 no option for 60

BUT there is an option for an 8th that could bring the total deal to $76M

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good deal.. It looks like the timing was right to get affordable with Castro.. You wait another year or two.. It would be a very large contract.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good deal.. It looks like the timing was right to get affordable with Castro.. You wait another year or two.. It would be a very large contract.

the cubs did ok. if he is a bust its still kinda a waste of money.

"waiting a year or two and large contract" is based on ceiling and potential. No one knows what he will be.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:

"waiting a year or two and large contract" is based on ceiling and potential. No one knows what he will be.

He WILL be the next Jeter! Minus some of the Jewelry.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Update 2:24 p.m.-Re-Breaking News: While the Cubs keep shelling out home runs, news broke that they have locked up Castro to a 7-year deal with an option for the 8th year. The 7 years that are guranteed is for 60 million, while the option for the 8th year is worth 16 million. If the Cubs do pick up the option, the deal can be worth 76 million. Castro, whom is 22-years old will play until he's 29-30 years old. If he does stick with the Cubs. Terms of the deal becoming official is still being worked on, but will be done shortly. I would imagine, there will be incentives in the deal and could make the deal even larger.

The deal is great for both Castro and the Cubs. If Castro keeps producing like he has, he will be worth even more money. You see teams locking up their young players way more now. Perfect examples are ... Rays' 3B Even Longoria (6 years, 17.5 million) and Pirates' OF Andrew McCutchen (6 years, 50 million).

I'm glad that Castro will be a Cubs for way more and I can contine to watch him improve.

Since the deal is not "officially" finalize, more deals should be revealed and I will have your update here. The announcement should be announce shortly after...

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

So because he has struggled a little this year means that his first 2 seasons don't count and he'll be a bust? Sorry, don't buy it.

Same can be said of any contract I guess, but don't see how it is a bigger concern with Castro than with anybody else.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Te contract is a good deal... there are so many shitty contracts . Pujols, AROD. Fielder, Werth, Sabathia, Soriano (see, no bias), Zito.. I can be here all day naming players...

Oh well, for the hell of it ... Rios, Wells. Okay, I'm done lol.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Te contract is a good deal... there are so many shitty contracts . Pujols, AROD. Fielder, Werth, Sabathia, Soriano (see, no bias), Zito.. I can be here all day naming players...

Oh well, for the hell of it ... Rios, Wells. Okay, I'm done lol.

Ya, overpaid veterans not with their original teams #notcomparable

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Personally, getting him for < $9MM/year is a good deal for the cubs, imo...given the lack of elite SS talent, one would believe he would be worth more than that in a year or two....but this contract seems to be representative of how he's played this year, and not to what his ceiling is...overall, I think it's a good deal, with potential of being a great deal.